Nightforce Scope Going In and Out Of Focus
Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Nightforce Scope Going In and Out Of Focus

Anyone have that problem?

I was shooting a match on Saturday with one of my NF 12x42 Benchrest Scopes. Shot the first card fine, but when I moved to the second card, the scope went out of focus, no messing with the parallax or focus knobs would help. As they called time and cease fire, it had Popped back into focus. I have been told that it might be a lose objective lense. Anyone had this type problem and was the it? I am waiting to hear from Night Force, but it will probably go back this week. My one card was the highest of the match and if I had shot as well on the second or even really close I would have taken first place and a Master's Point, but the Gods weren't with me.

Bob
    Robert Kittine
    Sag Harbor and Manhattan, New York

Bob-

How were your eyes doing that day. My NXS seemed to be doing the same thing but in the end it turned out it was just my eyes being "tired". Can also happen as one's blood pressure fluctuates. Sometimes I can be looking at a target and watch scope picture fade out of focus and back into focus without touching the side-focus knob.

Age and eye-strain.

Mike

TARGET 04-11 6.5x47L.jpgMike, I actually thought that might be the problem as I am on both Blood Pressure meds and bata blockers for my AFIB and the pacemaker. So, I had Bob White, owner of the shooters corner, the sponsor of the match and both a Gunsmith and Hall of Fame BR Shooter and he could not get it to focus either. A range officer tried and had the same problem so it was three of us seeing it and only one shooting, which could have been Eye strain.

Two guys on Benchrest.com had the same problem with NF Scopes and Nightforce replaced both because of loose objective lens that moved. I talked to NF yesterday and they said that it might be that and they provided me a RMA number to send it back.

Before I pulled the scope and since it hjad "popped back" into focus, I went to the range yesterday. I hung a target at 100 yards, checked that I was sighted, walked out to the 200 yard holders and set the second target from Saturday that I had not been able to shoot. Cranked in what my Ballistic Calculater said I should adjust for the change of yardage and fired three rounds, then 5 to make the final adjustment to the scope and than fired the 5 shot score target. I am pretty happy with the results at 200 yards on a 100 yard Benchrest target. And the scope stayed in focus.

Bob
    Last edited by rkittine; 04-12-2017 at 06:34 AM.
    Robert Kittine

4. Remove Advertisements
    700Rifle.com
    Advertisements

Good to hear that NF is ready, willing, and able, to do whatever is needed,

I'm planning on sending my NXS in for a reticle change to MOAR. Will mention the time I had focus issues and have them check.

That NXS of mine has been on two different rifles and sent well over 10,000 rounds downrange. It might just appreciate the rest it will get while at NF. While it's gone I'll be enjoying the BEAST I bought at the end of last November. If you've never looked through one, you better not. Chances are it will cost you money

Mike, Today in the mail I even got a package with a Nightforce Ball Cap in it. Of course it cost me over $40 to send the scope back with the insurance. Will be interesting to see the outcome.

Bob
    Robert Kittine

Well any update on the scope?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Since I only sent it on Thursday, I assume that it will be there tomorrow and then we will have to see. Robert in Customer Service told me since there are so few rounds under it, that he would push it through as there service backlog is 3-4 weeks. So, I am hoping for it to be back soon, but doubt it will be real soon. Will post what the outcome is when I find out. I have my Change scope on the rifle now. Sightron III 10x50 with 25 MOA Kelbly Rings.

Bob
    Robert Kittine

Well I have seen my NF does this (in and out of focus) however mine would do that about every 2 seconds and I always attributed that as a result of mirage as my suppressor would be very hot. After cool down, it would be back to normal.

I will let everyone know what I find out when I hear from them. I am trying a Sightron III 10x50 on the Rifle now.

Bob
    Robert Kittine

Nightforce got the scope and as promised, immediately got on it. On their recoil test bench they ran it through at three times the expected recoil of the caliber I shoot and it stayed in focus, but they did find an issue with the rear focus ring and reworked it. The scope will be back on its way to me today. Great customer service.

Bob
    Robert Kittine

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast