Jack O'Connor rifle for everything.
Join Today
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By rkittine

Thread: Jack O'Connor rifle for everything.

Jack O'Connor rifle for everything.

I had read a lot of Jack O'Connor's Books and magazine articles and it was very evident that he loved the .270 Winchester round in his hunting rifles. I had never had a 270 Win. rifle until I got the chance to buy this 1953 REMINGTON 721 in 270 Winchester some 10 years ago. I kept it several years and loaded for it and shot it a bit and was pleased with it. I never took it hunting for deer as it was a bit long range for hunting in the woods. I liked the receiver sight but my eyes like scopes more. Finally I had my eye on something else and I let the 721 go. Probably not my best decision but we cannot have everything.

Not to knock the .270, however the 30-06 will do anything better than the .270 the 30-06 with 150 gr shoots an inch lower than the .270 and people will tell you how much flatter the .270 shoots,yes it’s a good deer rifle,but an 06 has better bullet selection and will take most North American game,the .270 won’t,that’s my opinion I may be wrong.
    The 721 was a good rifle,I have one,but the 700 is better,with the updated bolt guide.

If you are not going to hunt with it and if you do only for deer, there is nothing wrong with the 270 which will shoot flatter than a .30-06, but if you had to pick just one of those two cartridges, it is true that you have more projectile selection in .30 caliber than in .270.

Bob
    Robert Kittine
    Sag Harbor and Manhattan, New York

4. Remove Advertisements
    700Rifle.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Freefloat View Post
    Not to knock the .270, however the 30-06 will do anything better than the .270 the 30-06 with 150 gr shoots an inch lower than the .270 and people will tell you how much flatter the .270 shoots,yes it’s a good deer rifle,but an 06 has better bullet selection and will take most North American game,the .270 won’t,that’s my opinion I may be wrong.
    The 721 was a good rifle,I have one,but the 700 is better,with the updated bolt guide.
    I agree. The 30-06 cal. is a very versatile round. having had a 721 30-06, a 1903A3 in 30-06, and my main stay 308 Winchester Ruger Scout Rifle. I also have had a 722 Remington in 300 Savage. a 30-40 Krag, The 30-30 in a Marlin 336, A Remington 141 in .30 Remington. I know the versatility of the .30 caliber.

I have a friend who worked with a fellow that believed that only a .270 Winchester was worthy to hunt with. He would get very upset when my friend and his buddies talked about their proposed (imaginary or not) purchases of new and exotic caliber hunting rifles.

My only model 700 is in 35 Whelen. I really love it.

Sounds like you are well covered for hunting. Post WWII the .30-06 really got into its own with all the surplus rifles and ammo available. For accuracy the .308 is a better 30 caliber round. These days I only benchrest shoot, so all my rifles are built for pure accuracy and not for hunting.

Bob
    Last edited by rkittine; 08-15-2020 at 02:32 PM.
    jimg11 likes this.
    Robert Kittine
    Sag Harbor and Manhattan, New York

I’d like a .35 Whelen to play around with,might have to look for one.

Quote Originally Posted by rkittine View Post
    Sounds like you are well covered for hunting. Post WWII the .30-06 really got into its own with all the surplus rifles and ammo available. For accuracy the .308 is a better 30 caliber round. These days I only benchrest shoot, so all my rifles are built for pure accuracy and not for hunting.

Bob
    I joined the U. S. Army in 1959 and went to Ft. Benning, GA and although the official U. S. rifle was the M14 in .308 Win, (7.62x 51) we were issued M1 Rifles in 30-06. The M1 was a good rifle but being in Basic training we were required to do a lot of cleaning of the bore. We were wondering if the bore was actually .30 cal. or maybe 8 mm or maybe .35. On the range we were a bit disappointed with our results. Once I got to West Germany we were issued the M14 and at least my scores went up. Werther it was that the different round or just that the barrel had not had shot out or cleaned out I do not know. I have had good results with my civilian 30-06 and .308 Win and 300 Savage bolt actions.