Hiding in the back of my safe - Page 2
Join Today
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Hiding in the back of my safe

Beautiful

Quote Originally Posted by RGK View Post
    An early '03 set up for National Match competition in the 1920's. Receiver sight is a Lyman 48.
    Bob

I've done a few firearm appraisals for friends & estates; the Eastern Shore is Waterfowl Haven for the Atlantic Flyway, a gentleman I hunted with asked me to appraise his collection after the season. So February flew by, he had 3 1903's, 2 were 06, barrel dates 1912 so after the double heat treated 03's, everything was right as rain plus mint condition. The third 03 had same Mil Spec configuration too but no bolt, further exam of the barrel it was .22 Long Rifle, OMG. So without calling Phil @ NRA, might be 1 of 1 (?). The gentleman is a retired Doctor, the 03's were given to him by a lifelong friend who received the rifles from a relative who worked @ Springfield Armory prior/after WW1. The owner wanted me to find a bolt for it, other than the NRA M-22 made in the 20/30's it will remain boltless.

Your '03 is just stunning just like your other rifle photos

My first Long Range rifle was an 03-A3 that I shot at 300 yards at West Point. Prone, Off Hand and Sitting. Then I got my M1 Garand through the DCM.

Bob
    Robert Kittine
    Sag Harbor and Manhattan, New York

4. Remove Advertisements
    700Rifle.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by rkittine View Post
    My first Long Range rifle was an 03-A3 that I shot at 300 yards at West Point. Prone, Off Hand and Sitting. Then I got my M1 Garand through the DCM.

Bob

Bob,

This has to be DEJA VU Sunday; I remember the DCM 03-A3 & Garands @ Gun Shows purchased throughout the 60/70's, they were almost unissued, muzzle @ 0 or very least a 1. My other brother worked @ Pentagon, his shooting friends shot @ Quantico with the 03's & Garands. While I was also late to this party, while my home club also ran CMP style matches so took a break from collectable gun market and gave it shot down range. My brother order the Garand, they would mail the orders from the Pentagon, post marked from Pentagon post office and always attached a letter on Pentagon letter head the features they desired for a "hand select". They had a racket going, CMP pickers will call him to verify order and call back "found you" a nice one. My first Garand was a '53 Springfield, service grade, muzzle "0" and all his guys looked it over it was never issued. Luck of the draw. it was tight, loved 155 A Max's in front Varget & 4064.

When CMP released the M-1 carbines, first release since mid '60's brothers marketing plan really paid off on hand stamped Inlands and Underwood's, the "Undee's" had the best barrels, button rifled, out shot other manufactures. Those CMP carbines are fetching highest prices these days if they have CMP certificate and graded Service Grade tag.

I shot the '03's too, a standard Remington "03-A3 and built an A4 Clone on another 03 with an original A4 bolt. I actually enjoyed 03's more than the Garand but will save that story for another day.
    Last edited by mayor; 12-20-2020 at 08:06 PM.

I am sure that when I make the move down towards you we will be doing some shooting together.

I got all three through the DCM. $10 for the Springfield, $15 for the Winchester Made M1 Carbine and $25 for the M1 Garand, National Match model (no bayonet lug etc.).

They also supplied us 300 rounds per year of .30-06 National Match Ball ammo free.

Bob
    Robert Kittine

RGK

Bob
    Same for me. First match I shot was a 200 yd short course with a club '03A3. I was hooked.
    Bob

'03A1 rebuild with a O'Hare micrometer
    Last edited by RGK; 12-20-2020 at 10:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RGK View Post
    Same for me. First match I shot was a 200 yd short course with a club '03A3. I was hooked.
    Bob

'03A1 rebuild with a O'Hare micrometer

RGK,

Their is so much more to that Phase "Don't mess with Texas" as always thrilled to see the superb quality of your collection

RGK
    How about a nice old M70 Winchester? Nothing special; just a standard grade .30-06. It loves factory 180 grain Win Power-Points.
    Bob

Last edited by RGK; 12-28-2020 at 09:59 PM.

Very Nice - So are you ambidextoris or just like one left handed and some right? I only have one Cooper, a Bench Rest 54M .22, but I love it.

Bob
    Robert Kittine

RGK
    Very Nice - So are you ambidextoris or just like one left handed and some right? I only have one Cooper, a Bench Rest 54M .22, but I love it.

Bob
    I shoot my right-handed bolt guns left-handed. Not difficult to manipulate, if you work at it. You'll find most lefties are used to using right-handed stuff left-handed.
    Bob

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12