Anybody like the 783 pros and cons ? Been looking at them.
Join Today

Anybody like the 783 pros and cons ? Been looking at them.

I've been looking at these, the price is good and they don't feel to bad,only know 1 guy who has one in .243 he says he likes it butt he only shoots maybe 6 rounds a year,so that really tells me nothing.

From what I read it's kind of a hybrid. It's more "Marlin" than Remington with a Savage-like" trigger.

Instead of hammer forged barrel it has a button rifled barrel.

If you want a rifle to shoot, at a good price, it could be a good deal. If you want a rifle to "build on" you'd be better off with one of Reminton's 700 "entry level" rifles. The aftermarket for the 783's may not be there any time soon. With the 700's there are hundreds of options from stocks, triggers, bolts, etc.

You can buy one right now from Cabels's for $299 and it includes a 3-9X40 Scope. Sounds like a good hunting rifle you won't cry over much if it gets dropped and falls to the bottom of a ravine.

They seem quite solid, and have a decent reputation for accuracy. As to upgrades, there's probably not nearly as much as for 700s, but I know that some of the companies making chassis systems have started inletting for the 783.

4. Remove Advertisements
    700Rifle.com
    Advertisements

It is a entry level rifle. If you only plan on shooting it a few times a year for hunting, I'm sure it would be fine. It would not be a rifle I would buy to begin target shooting with. I bought my son the 770 in .243, I think the 783 now replaces that 770. Its an ok rifle for hunting and thats about it, it gets 3/4 inch groups with handloads. And I'm sure the 783 would be the same. Better to buy a 700 adl and upgrade it down the road if you want a better rifle.
    Remington 700 7mm rem mag
    Bell & Carlson stock/ bedded
    Benchmark 26" heavy barell/ black cerakote
    Timney Calvin Elite
    Nightforce nxs 5.5-22x56

Yeah so I bought a box of Winchester .243 and went to the range to try it out,it's a 2 incher with the ammo I bought. Wasn't to impressed with it.I think pikeman's dead on.Actually I'll look for a used 700 short action,beings I got an extra BC stock laying around. Hopefully find a bdl cause I don't want to spend on bottom metal to upgrade a adl.

Search tags for this page

remington 783 pros and cons

Click on a term to search for related topics.