338 Lapua misfire
Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1
    Senior Member AverageJo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    163

    338 Lapua misfire

    Hello friends.
    Trying to get some help on my situation here.
    I am reloading the 338 lm and I get about 2 misfires for box of 20 rounds. When I shot factory ammo there was one box of PPU ammo that I had 2 misfires but the other 3 boxes that I ever shot before that were all good ( same brand). When I reload I am using the ppu brass ( neck size only), CCI 250 mag primers ( they are about 8+ years old) and H4350 powder (75 grains) with hornady match 250gr BTHP bullet. If misfires, it fires fine on the second attempt. The primer indented well too if misfire. The rifle I am using is an AI AXMC.

    Any input would be much appreciated.

    Thanks in advance.

    Ed
    Last edited by AverageJo; 03-25-2018 at 11:18 PM.

  2. #2
    Senior Member rkittine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Sag Harbor, New York
    Posts
    794
    Since you are getting mis-fires with factory ammunition as well as your reloads (At least this is how I am reading your post), I think you need to take the bolt apart and check it for things like dirt and spring tension.

    Bob
    Robert Kittine
    Sag Harbor and Manhattan, New York

  3. #3
    Senior Member AverageJo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    163
    Quote Originally Posted by rkittine View Post
    Since you are getting mis-fires with factory ammunition as well as your reloads (At least this is how I am reading your post), I think you need to take the bolt apart and check it for things like dirt and spring tension.

    Bob
    Bob thank you and although i already checked that but will do it again just to make sure that it is clean and with very light coat of oil.
    Question, the primers that I use are about 8+ years. Do you think this could be attributed to that? I do understand that I had some misfires with factory ammo but I read reviews on that ammo and it appears that many people had misfires with ppu brand. Thus I am trying not to link that to my situation. Out of 4 boxes of factory ammo I only had that happen with one box.

    Thoughts?

    Ed

  4. Remove Advertisements
    700Rifle.com
    Advertisements

  5. #4
    Senior Member rkittine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Sag Harbor, New York
    Posts
    794
    I have used primers older than that, but then it depends how they were stored. Since you had it also happen with factory ammo, I suspect the bolt more than anything and you did get them to fire on the second attempt. Pick up 100 new primers and see what happens. I use CCI and Federals and have not had any problem.

    Bob
    Robert Kittine
    Sag Harbor and Manhattan, New York

  6. #5
    Senior Member AverageJo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    163
    Quote Originally Posted by rkittine View Post
    I have used primers older than that, but then it depends how they were stored. Since you had it also happen with factory ammo, I suspect the bolt more than anything and you did get them to fire on the second attempt. Pick up 100 new primers and see what happens. I use CCI and Federals and have not had any problem.

    Bob
    Hi bob. I did exactly that. I picked up a pack of 100 new cci. Loaded 10 rounds with primers only (no bullet/powder) and tried them, all fired. Then I loaded 10 old but out of the different pack (the old old pack is gone now) and they all fired as well. Now I loaded 10 rounds (powder bullet) with the new CCI. Will try this weekend. Hopefully this will give me some direction.

    Just to add some additional data. I also shoot 308 using the same bolt/action just different bolt body and the barrel and all works well. Thatís why I am thinking itís not the firing pin assembly/spring. Maybe the 338 bolt body is dirty.

    Again thanks for your help bob. Any help is appreciate.

    Ed

  7. #6
    Senior Member rkittine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Sag Harbor, New York
    Posts
    794
    Good luck and let us know the final result. I had a problem with one of my cars on Saturday. Made an appointment with the dealer for today. Sunday it was still having the problem, but not as bad and today when I got to the dealer, it wouldn't do it, but fortunately, what I was describing they seemed to know and they got if fixed, so they say. Will have to see now, just like you and the fully loaded rounds.

    I don't know enough about your gun, but do you have the right headspace when you are going back and forth between barrels and bolt conversions?

    Bob

    Update on Car - Yet- they did seem to get it right. Restores my confidence in dealership mechanics.
    Last edited by rkittine; 03-27-2018 at 06:01 AM.
    Robert Kittine
    Sag Harbor and Manhattan, New York

  8. #7
    Senior Member AverageJo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    163
    Quote Originally Posted by rkittine View Post
    Good luck and let us know the final result. I had a problem with one of my cars on Saturday. Made an appointment with the dealer for today. Sunday it was still having the problem, but not as bad and today when I got to the dealer, it wouldn't do it, but fortunately, what I was describing they seemed to know and they got if fixed, so they say. Will have to see now, just like you and the fully loaded rounds.

    I don't know enough about your gun, but do you have the right headspace when you are going back and forth between barrels and bolt conversions?

    Bob

    Update on Car - Yet- they did seem to get it right. Restores my confidence in dealership mechanics.
    Well itís good to hear that you have your car fixed.

    I have no ability to set the headspace (nor check it). The barrels are pre-fitted and it was fine before so I assume the headspace doesnít change when I change over. I guess it could be anything. Letís hope to know something this weekend.
    I will advise.

    I mean if the head space is out of spec would it still fire the cases that had primers only and some of the cases that misfired now fired with primes only?

    Too many questions.

  9. #8
    Senior Member rkittine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Sag Harbor, New York
    Posts
    794
    Good question and I would think that the answer would be NO. The primer either goes off or it doesn't. UNLESS - What neck tension are you using with a seated bullet? Any way that the throat is a little open, if the projectile is being held a little too tight, that the end of the brass can move forward just a tad? I doubt that, but who knows. Does it happen on both barrels? Both bolts (you change them for bolt face correct).

    If it still give you the same problem this weekend. remember "When In Doubt Read The Instructions" or in this case take it to a good gunsmith, someone who builds precision rifles for a living.

    Bob
    Robert Kittine
    Sag Harbor and Manhattan, New York

  10. #9
    Senior Member AverageJo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    163
    Quote Originally Posted by rkittine View Post
    Good question and I would think that the answer would be NO. The primer either goes off or it doesn't. UNLESS - What neck tension are you using with a seated bullet? Any way that the throat is a little open, if the projectile is being held a little too tight, that the end of the brass can move forward just a tad? I doubt that, but who knows. Does it happen on both barrels? Both bolts (you change them for bolt face correct).

    If it still give you the same problem this weekend. remember "When In Doubt Read The Instructions" or in this case take it to a good gunsmith, someone who builds precision rifles for a living.

    Bob
    It doesnít do it with 308. So when I change over I remove the bolt body and place the firing pin assembly into the different bolt body, itís a 3 seconds process . The same firing pin assembly is used for all the calibers, just different bolt body, to accommodate the different head.

    When I was testing the cases loaded with the primers only, the fit was very snug (due to neck sizing only I think). I do not think there is any movement in the chamber when the case is inserted.

    I am sure itís something that I am doing or not doing. We will know something soon. I will clean and inspect the bolt assembly again per your recommendation. I know I put some oil on the firing pin assembly before the shoot. I do recall wiping the oil from the bolt body during the shoot as it was freezing/thickening up and preventing the movement of the bolt. The gun was kind of wet with some snow on it while it was 0 deg. Having said that, the 308 was running fine under the same conditions thatís why I donít think itís the gun.

    But who knows lol.

  11. #10
    Senior Member AverageJo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    163
    Just tested some loads and the loads with 10 new primers and 10 old but from the different sleeve. No misfires. Hopefully thatís it.

    New question: as I neck size only and crimp with Lee factory crimp ( not sure itís important part of information) when I would insert the reloaded rounds it would take some extra effort to close the bolt. Not much just more as opposed to factory new ammo. Is this normal for neck sizing only reloads? I assume it is as the fit would remain the same and if the load was hot and the bolt was a little hard to open it would not change and when reloaded it will be hard to close the bolt. Am I wrong?


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. 700 Police / MLR 338 Lapua Mag
    By KIWI in forum Law Enforcement/Military
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 12-15-2016, 12:31 PM
  2. Tactical Stocks for .338 Lapua
    By dmorgil in forum Tactical Accessories
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-19-2013, 12:47 AM
  3. XCR or MLR .338 Lapua difference?
    By HK Punisher in forum Law Enforcement/Military
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-27-2013, 11:57 PM
  4. I need help upgrading my 700P in 338 Lapua
    By BLACK in forum Law Enforcement/Military
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-15-2012, 05:32 PM
  5. Remington 700 .338 lapua recievers
    By dmorgil in forum SPS Tactical
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-15-2011, 01:19 AM

Search tags for this page

remington 700 xcr tactical 338 lapua review

Click on a term to search for related topics.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts