best AR for the money
Join Today
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

any opinions or finds on the subject? been wantin a new AR but just wondered on makes and models. id prefer a M16 style AR but if an M4 is cheaper then i might change my mind lol
    .”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    Remington 700 SPS Varmint .308, Centerpoint 4-16x40 illumintated crosshair scope, Winchester Bipod

If you're just looking for a basic M16 (20" barrel, rifle length gas block, etc), it's hard to beat Del-Ton on price.

1) http://www.del-ton.com/Rifle_Kit_p/rkt102.htm - $465
    2) http://www.del-ton.com/Rifle_Kit_p/rkt106.htm - $465

They sell a few other kits, 20" and 16" barrels in any basic AR contour. All you need to complete it is a stripped lower.. you can do what I did and for name-sake buy a Del-Ton lower for $120

http://www.del-ton.com/Del_Ton_Lower...er_p/lr100.htm

Or if you want one of the more inexpensive options you can use:

http://www.karrisguns.com/new-ar15-s...lower-receiver - $59.99
    http://www.karrisguns.com/ar-15-lowe...selector-marks - $64.99
    http://www.dsarms.com/DSA-ZM4-Stripp...ctinfo/DSZM4R/ - $75
    http://palmettostatearmory.com/1560.php - $79.99

After shipping and FFL fees..you're between $550-575. The DelTon kits are top notch. I don't know how long their wait is now, but I remember when I bought mine I had to wait a month, and that was at the beginning of last year when they were still taking heavy orders from the Obama election scare.

If you read reviews, the only complaint you'll probably get is people trying to shoot cheap lacquered steel (Wolf, Brown Bear, old surplus, etc) out of them, and yes at first there can be problems. If you also read, most of them were complaining about getting brass cases stuck after shooting the cheap crap. I have a 16" M4 profile kit from them, and I too decided to try Wolf when I first got it. The extractor pulled the rim off the case, and it got stuck in the chamber. Thankfully all I had to do was use a cleaning rod and bang it out. I haven't shot Wolf since, but after about 2-3k brass cases I tried some TulAmmo, and it's ran great through it as long as I remember to clean it after shooting a few magazines.

Accuracy is 1.75-2.5MOA with handloads (just generic bulk loads), and I could consistently hit an 8" plate at 500yds with the stock trigger and configuration.

Or you could go with a used brand name one, but I imagine you'll still be in the $600-750 area.

Might take a look at the Colt 6920. A little costly but well worth the extra expense. I have one with ACOG and could not be happier IMHO.

4. Remove Advertisements
    700Rifle.com
    Advertisements

Super Moderator
    Sw mp15-t (if you can find one of the older ones, grab it and don't think twice)
    If it's a newer one it's still pretty good depending on the price.

I dont need a match grade rifle, just something reliable and fairly accurate. thanks for the info
    .”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    Remington 700 SPS Varmint .308, Centerpoint 4-16x40 illumintated crosshair scope, Winchester Bipod

Super Moderator
    If your looking for inexpensive DPMS is about your only good choice

I don't see why people are so quick pass up Del-Ton.. all it's parts and pieces are Mil-Spec, although that term really means nothing in a civilian rifle. I'm run close to 15k rounds down mine, skipped cleaning a few times, and I've never had a FTF or a FTE other than when I used the steel case.

The carrier key in mine is staked (and properly too), and their bolts and barrels are HPT/MPI tested. Their barrel blanks are made by Mossberg (with some also coming from Wilson, same place DPMS gets theirs), and turned in-house. Their uppers and lowers are 7075 T6 Aluminum, hard coat anodized. Not that an aluminum lower means much, as you can see from CavArms and Bushmaster with the polymer lowers.

Again, I say building your own is the cheapest. There's roughly thirty pieces you have to put together, but it's as simple as "insert spring, insert detent, insert takedown pin\selector switch." The most difficult part is installing the bolt stop and the trigger guard, but even without the proper tools (roll pin punches), it's a cakewalk.

If you can find a S&W M&P15 used (or new) that's within your budget, I'd definitely swing for that. I'm not saying Del-Ton is the end-all-be-all, but for least expensive and reliable AR15s, their kits are top notch. Just Google some reviews, hell Google negative reviews. There's not too many out there, and 90% of them are going to be either 4-5 years old (before they switched to Wilson\Mossberg barrels) or some idiot that got crappy ammo stuck in it after not cleaning it for months. It can happen to any rifle..

BTW With the Del-ton kits, whats the .223 vs 5.56 NATO deal with them? Do they shoot both or are they one or the other? I know i can shoot ither ither way but i know sometimes it makes a difference. Whats the difference between their gov kit and the reg 20"? is it the .223/5.56 difference??

Super Moderator
    If you get a barrel designed and stamped for 5.56 it can shoot both (5.56 / .223)

If your barrel designed and stamped .223 that's all you can shoot in it.

Ok. Thats what i thought, thanks for clearing that up, now i just need to figure out what these Del-ton kits are Lol

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Search tags for this page

karri guns ar 9 reviews
karri s guns review
karris gun reviews
karris guns review

karris guns reviews

karris guns reviews ar 15
karris guns upper receiver reviews
karrisguns

karrisguns review

karrisguns reviews

review karrisguns
reviews of karris guns
Click on a term to search for related topics.