Rem 783 24" Heavy Barrel (6.5 CM) - Page 2
Join Today
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Rem 783 24" Heavy Barrel (6.5 CM)

Took half day from work to meet with my FFL so that I could take transfer of the M783 today. I have not had a chance to really absorb all of the details yet, but I like what I am seeing so far. First off, the stock, albeit a hunting style of stock, is really the weakest link. I knew this going in to the project, so no love lost for $388.

1: The bolt is the smoothest and easiest opening Remington bolt I have felt, almost effortless in operation. The oversized bolt knob is a nice touch, and its size and positioning are excellent for someone who might like to grip and rip their bolt (I call it bolt raping).

2: The maching is very clean, no marks like you might find of the Ruger Precision Rifle.

3: The barrel is a heavy barrel, but not a Varmint profile by any means, a hunter would have no problem hauling this rifle around in the wood. The crown is recessed, and unlike my M700, the threaded muzzle cap actually extends slightly beyond the crown to give the recessed crown even more protection. The barrel is stamped Made in Huntsville, AL, which I really like, as I make my living in Huntsville, and have for more than 40-years.

4: The trigger is nice, heavy, but really nice. I will definitely adjust the pull weight down a bit. This is one of the features that the Ex-Remington Engineers say really works on this Remington made trigger. I do not know if this is a copy of the Savage trigger, the engineer stated that it was originally a Marlin trigger, that was possibly a copy of the Savage trigger... he say, that the trigger is much better... we will see. Since there are no aftermarket triggers available for the M783, then it is what it is; polsih adjust and go!

5: Along with the stock, the picatinny rail will go in the discard pile; I believe it is a zero MOA EGW copy. I plan on getting a Weaver 20 MOA base later on in the build.

6: The magazine is a win! Very sturdy and all metal except for the base cap that has the Remington logo on it. Spare magazine are readily available for $25 ea. should I decide to go with a Boyds stock and stick with the factory mag capacity configuration.

This is what I was able to get from the rifle after I pulled it from the box, looked it over, and then locked it in the safe. I will get pics of the rifle sometime tomorrow and post them up.

Here are some images of what I feel are the good talking points on the M783:

Like any rifle, the action is machined from a solid piece of steel bar stock, only the bare bone essentials are machined in... even the engraiving has been replaced laser etching:

The shallow slot helps to add to the over-all strength of the receiver... not sure if that is ever an issue with other actions, but it can't hurt. The slot is also long enough at 3" to allow for longer case over all length (C.O.A.L.) increases. Of course the throat of the barrel has yet to be visited to know just how long I can load off the lands.

Barrel nut and recoild plate ala Savage, and anyone else who may have picked up on this feature... Headspace adjustments and barrel replacement just became and evening of customizing for me in the future.

Made in right here is Huntsville, AL:

As discussed, double recessed barrel crown:

A feature that the R700 does not have, is the ridge missing behind the threads of the muzzle. I have a nice muzzle brake that threads all the way to the shoulder of the barrel, and this same brake will not fit on my R700 SPS build (other on-going thread), as there is a ridge at the should that will not let the brake seat...

The trigger is really nice, the blade itself is wide and ever so slightly curved; the safety blade of the trigger has enough resistance to it, it feels like the first stage of a two-stage trigger. Also, the bolt release (black bar at the bottom side of the triger in this image) is moved to the left side of the receiver... very nice feature in my opinion. The trigger pull weight adjustement is in the front of the trigger, as indictaed by the locking nut.

The bolt is probably one of my favorite features of this barreled action; the bolt lift is so effortless and smooth, the over-size bolt lift is sweet! I do not have any ammo test the full operation, but I really love the design!

Finally, the metal magazine; I will have to walk back my comment that the only non-metal item was the base, as the follower is injection molded ABS... not a biggie. If I do not decide to convert this action to accept AICS pattern magazines, that I will run these factory magaizes, as they are real nice. The plan as of right now, is the get a chassis that will accept the AICS mags...

Ordered a Leupold 20 MOA base for the M783. It will sit kind of high in the saddle... not many options out there for the M783, and I do not care much for the look of the EGW... Leupold to the rescue!

4. Remove Advertisements
    700Rifle.com
    Advertisements

Be sure to clean it real well. All over and inside. I never shot mine with the factory barrel but I’ve heard they shoot really good. I think, and it’s just a theory, that the heavy action is not affected by the bedding as much. I couldn’t tell any difference in accuracy between the factory plastic stock and the Boyd’s laminated stock. I’ve heard to use lighter fluid to clean the trigger assembly and that’s what I use to clean the whole thing. Have to apply lube after but not the trigger. I’d like to find one of the walnut pull offs to try on mine. Good luck.

Thank you for the tips, I will be sure to apply them to my progress. When I pulled the factory rail, a lot of thread locker came out with it. The barrel also looks a little suspect to have quite a bit of "gunk" in it. A thorough cleaning is next in the process, as I just placed an order for a Boyds stock . I deliberated long and hard on one of two available chassis options, but I could not justify the $600+ bucks...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12