Rem 783 24" Heavy Barrel (6.5 CM)
Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Rem 783 24" Heavy Barrel (6.5 CM)

Rem 783 24" Heavy Barrel (6.5 CM)

Here in Huntsville, AL, our company has hired two Remington employees away from the local plant. In talking with them about my upcoming R700 SPS Tactical build, thread here: https://www.700rifle.com/forum/23-sp...creedmoor.html they asked me if I had ever considered a Model 783... obviously not, as the 783 was touted as an entry level bolt gun, I just dismissed it like I do the Savage Axis & Ruger American rifles. But these two former Remington employees asked that I needed to take a closer look at the 783...

The most interesting highlights from conversation with them is quality of the build; heavy steel receiver, smooth floating head bolt w/ tactical bolt knob, nice "accustyle-trigger"; accurate heavy barrel (16.5", 24" & 26" lengths)... other than the lack of after-market support, these two engineers have given the platform high praise.

I found and article that said the 783 makes for a perfect donor platform for a PRS build: Remington 783 ? The Best Donor for PRS/Mag Fed Rifles? | Mystic Precision

So a little research, I can pick one of the 24" heavy barrel rifles in 6.5 CM for about $375 - $397! There are even a couple chassis available from MDT and Oryx for $400. For a stock option you can couple together a Boyds flavor and PT&G bottom metal furniture to run AICS mags.

The fact that you can replace barrels with ease really peeks my interest in this platform...

Thoughts?

There is nothing wrong with a 783, but there is so much more available for a 700 and with its pedigree, the resale value would be better. I have seen some nice builds on the 721 and even rifles built on the XP-100 action, but I stick with 700s and Custom 700 Clones. You can pick up a 700 on sale for $400 from time to time, which is less than the cost of buying the action. That all being said, for a custom build I buy custom actions, because by the time you take a factor action and have it blue printed, you almost have the cost of a Borden, BAT or other custom action.

Bob
    Robert Kittine
    Sag Harbor and Manhattan, New York

Since my Rem 700 barreled action project has arrived at my FFL I will sideline this idea for a bit... But a 783 24" heavy barrel (6.5 CM) in an Oryx chassis might be a fun project. But yes, you are correct, the 700 has far more aftermarket support, one of the many reasons have gone back to a short action (have Long Action in 30-06), there are so many options and flavors of most anything R700...

A note here, one of the 'play option' calibers I considered for the 783 was the 223. A rather boring round to shoot, but would make a nice trainer/plinker target rifle.

4. Remove Advertisements
    700Rifle.com
    Advertisements

On a windless day the .223 will surprise you as to what it can do in a custom rifle out to 1,000 yards.

Bob
    DRAGON64 likes this.
    Robert Kittine

So 2 tipping points for me today; 1: XLR has the Element chassis inlet for the Rem 783 & 2: I found a 6.5 Creedmoor for $388 (+$10 S&H)

I talked at length with one of the EX Remington engineers again, who happens to have built a 783 in 6.5CM, and I believe the rifle to have good potential at competing in PRS or NRL matches. He says the rifle is far easier to work on, the factory barrels are decent (and easily replaceable if not), the trigger is far better than the X-Mark found on the 700; the actions are stronger... The price says go for it!

I purchased a 783 this morning, model #85773, which should be here sometime next week. I will probably move some military surplus rifles out of the stable to generate capital to fund this build, which should be fun. The 85773 is the 24" heavy barrel 783, complete with "tactical" large-style bolt knob. Comes with a cheap-O plastic stock, and a 4 +1 magazine. As the build progress' the stock and magazine will give way to either an XLR Element chassis (1st choice), or an Oryx chassis (not my 1st choice) and some AICS style P-Mags. There are options for stocks from Boyds, but I'm not sure I am up for pillar and skim coat bedding just yet...+ inletting for M5 bottom metal etc etc

To help support the build, I will pick a Savage action wrench, and a set of go/no-go gauges... Looks like fun ahead. If not, well lets just say I have spent more and got less...

Can't wait to see pictures, especially of the targets!

Bob
    DRAGON64 likes this.
    Robert Kittine

I built a 783 in 6.5 Creedmoor several years ago with a 26” Shilen #6 contour 1/8 twist barrel and it is a shooter for sure. Very hard to work up THE load for because it shoots everything good. I put mine in a Boyd’s stock but still have to deal with that plastic trigger gaurd. The bolt on the 783 is much easier to operate than any of my other rifles (R700, Howa 1500, and Savages). The heavy tubular action makes them very strong and accurate. It was my first try and chambering and threading a barrel so I shoulder threaded it without the nut. If you like to tinker, it’s as user friendly as the Savage. The bolt heads on the 783’s is deeper than a Savage but the Savage barrels will work if you have some of rear of the barrel faced off. If not, the barrel will hit the bolt head before proper headspace is achieved.
    DRAGON64 likes this.

Here is 1 of my first 5 shot groups @ 100 yds with it in the modified plastic stock. This without any load development at all.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    DRAGON64 likes this.

Doesn't look like there are any changes necessary!
    Robert Kittine

Quote Originally Posted by OLEJOE View Post
    I built a 783 in 6.5 Creedmoor several years ago with a 26” Shilen #6 contour 1/8 twist barrel and it is a shooter for sure. Very hard to work up THE load for because it shoots everything good. I put mine in a Boyd’s stock but still have to deal with that plastic trigger gaurd. The bolt on the 783 is much easier to operate than any of my other rifles (R700, Howa 1500, and Savages). The heavy tubular action makes them very strong and accurate. It was my first try and chambering and threading a barrel so I shoulder threaded it without the nut. If you like to tinker, it’s as user friendly as the Savage. The bolt heads on the 783’s is deeper than a Savage but the Savage barrels will work if you have some of rear of the barrel faced off. If not, the barrel will hit the bolt head before proper headspace is achieved.
    Quote Originally Posted by OLEJOE View Post
    Here is 1 of my first 5 shot groups @ 100 yds with it in the modified plastic stock. This without any load development at all.
    Thank you for sharing, definitely gives me hope in the right direction. I should get my rifle from the FFL today or tomorrow. Undecided on a stock as yet; from a budget standpoint, it is either a Boyds stock, or an Oryx for a chassis. I reached out to Choate, as their stocks hover around the $220 mark, but they told me that there is just not enough 783's "out there" to warrant the R&D effort...

I'm building a Rem 700 SPS AAC-SD at the same time, so I am sharing a budget, with the R700 reaping more of the benefits... but only slightly.

Thanks for sharing! Need more pics of the completed rifle if you have them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast