Remington 870's the new Gold - Page 5
Join Today
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Remington 870's the new Gold

NSSA (Skeet) has lost more registered shooters than Sporting Clays (NSCA) and Trap (ATA) the last few 10 years. I know a Regional Director that ran our shoots years ago, NSSA has fallen under 7k and # of registered shoots have dwindled too.

Some of the reasoning; need the 12 ga over/under; tube set and 4 gauges of ammo for 4 - 100 target events with 28/410 shells running @ $12.00 a box plus shooting fees then add 4 gun events are 2 weekend day shoots has taken its toll on new shooters. When I was shooting its was 3 days with doubles on Friday's so you were wore out by Sunday evening traveling home as we both know ..............................

You got that right. The two major shoots on Long Island are the Lobster Open and the Long Island Challenge. Both are 5 even shoots. Doubles on Friday, two guns on Saturday and two on Sunday. To get into all 5 events, the least expensive package is $310.00. Breakfasts and Lunches are provided on Saturday and Sunday and Saturday night there is a huge 2 Lobster or 1 lobster and steak or two steak dinner with all the fixing and beer and wine for $40.00 per person. That is the only bargain. Sunday night is a buffet or what was left over from Saturday.

I buy factor target shot shells when they are on sale and only shoot factory in competition. I have 180 flats at the moment. I try to always shoot AA or STS so even with the sale prices and the Winchester Rebates I end up around $7.50 a box for 12 / 20 gauge and $9.00 for 28/.410. I do have Estates, Gun Clubs and Rios all bought for $5.00 per box or less on sale for 12 / 20 and $7.00 for 28/.410. It still gets expensive.

I will be hosting some Honors Only Registered Shoots at my home club this spring and summer. I do not have to renew as a referee until 2022.

When I lived in Louisiana and then in Nashville. I belonged to clubs that partnered with other clubs in the area and we would run 2 guns at one club on Saturday with another club running the other two guns on Sunday. Back in the 90s we could shot registered targets every weekend almost all year and our squad would travel to San Anton to the West, New Orleans to the South, Ft Campbell to the North and Jackson Mississippi to the East.

2 of the squad still are members in Monroe as well as the son of one of our other squad members who past a few years back. They were fun times.

Bob
    Robert Kittine
    Sag Harbor and Manhattan, New York

I shot the Lobster open for many years; still have my Lobster T-Shirts. I always choose the 2 lobsters for the Saturday night feast. If the cooks had extra Lobs they were $5 each. If you're going to shoot below your average the lobsters made you feel so much better after donating all your entry fee's to the AAA shooters.
    Last edited by mayor; 12-24-2020 at 10:58 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    700Rifle.com
    Advertisements

This year with Covid, they did not hold it, but did run the Long Island Championship, but no dinners. Zero registered targets for me this year.
    Robert Kittine

Bob,

Since we have only one Shotgun Forum (?). Since you shoot a Beretta 682; we thought would never see them again as last series sold out 2/3 years ago. Beretta sent to the U.S. smaller gauge 20 & 28 ga barrels for the 12 ga frames. I've shot the 20 since the late 90's, don't need to use tube sets, enjoy the lighter weight. Beretta only sent 6 and I scored one, just a few more left, thought about 28 ga but now going to load the 3/4 oz in the 20 so close enough to the 28. If you ever run across a mint 682 step rib 32" with mobil chokes for a narrow frame give me a shout as been looking for 3 years to build another Trap gun.

I am a Barrel Set Fan and my 682 is an earlier (1993) model 4 Barrel Skeet set. Skeet/Skeet chokes, 28" Barrels and a Parallel stock. I do shoot my K-80 as my primary Skeet gun and it is a tube set, but no added weight, as I have a carrier barrel for the tubes. The weight of the carrier barrel and a set of tubes with two loaded rounds in, is the same weight as the gun loaded, with the 12 gauge barrels installed. The one added advantage is the the view over the barrel is identical. My CG Summit Impact Type S Skeet, is a regular tube set, so I have a set of CG weights on the 12 gauge barrel so the weight and balance.

Too bad we had not tied up while I was buying my various CGs. I made a number of trips to the Maryland US Headquarters to pick the wood and get fitted for the CGs I own. Would have been easy to stop in and say hello.

Although there were no Lobsters at the Lobster Shoot this year (I was a Ref rather than a shooter), I had to rely on my real estate partner who spent most of the spring and summer at her place in Maine. With the shut down of so many restaurants, Lobster sales for the fishermen and wholesalers was way off. It resulted in local Hamptons lobsters prices raising to $19.95 a pound, when they were typically $10-$11 a pound. But, in Maine I could get 1.25-1.5 pound lobsters on the docks for $3.00 a pound. Had a lot of lobster dinners this summer.

Bob
    Last edited by rkittine; 01-24-2021 at 06:29 AM.
    Robert Kittine

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Search tags for this page

what to know about new remington 870

Click on a term to search for related topics.