So What Do You Consider "Long Range" - Page 2
Join Today
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I would definitely have liked to have a slower twist rate, 1:11.75 or 1:12, with a little less free bore, we'll see what my `06 comes with.

My F class rifle and my Palma rifle both have 1:12 twist Krieger barrels. They love to eat 155 VLDs and with a little throat wear, will be fine for 168s, but marginal with that twist for 175s.

Bob
    Robert Kittine
    Sag Harbor and Manhattan, New York

My original plan for developing a starting long range bullet was to employ the Nosler 175gr RDF... RDF stands for Reduced Drag Factor, but is quickly garnering the moniker of Random Darned Flier, as many reloaders over at The Hide are reporting a number of inconsistencies with the manufacture of the bullets... luckily I only invested in 300 of the bullets. I will still work with them in the off chance that my rifle will like them, if nothing else they will aid in barrel break in, and allow me to practice the fundamentals.

4. Remove Advertisements
    700Rifle.com
    Advertisements

I like the Berger VLDs (Very Low Drag) and their hybrids if not shooting custom bullets. I am now trying Closed Tip Match Kings from Sierra. I recently bought a Metplat trimmer and a Pointing Die to close the tips and increase the BC or match rounds, then Sierra started offering some match projectiles already having the tips closed and the increased BC. I just bought 2,000 from the same lot, of 123 grain 6.5mm for one of my 6.5x47 Lapua's. Last year I tried their 107 grain closed tip bullets in a 6x47 Lapua and I was very impressed.

Bob
    Robert Kittine

Quote Originally Posted by rkittine View Post
    If you have a 1:10 twist barrel, you should be able to stabilize the 168 and 175 grain Low Drag projectiles very well. Problem I find with factory chambering is that the free bore is set up to be able to take the longest 220 grain projectiles and is not optimized for the lighter bullets that work so well in that twist.

Bob
    I picked up some 210gr RDF bullets for my M700 Long Range, and I am now trying to decide what powder and load I want to start with. I have IMR-4064; IMR-4895 and H4350 at my disposal, could you suggest a starting point?

I am a big fan of both IMR-4895 and H4350, but do not know of any loads fort 30 caliber with the H4350. Plenty with 4895 and 4064. I keep them all on hand. I do not like to give out load data as I do not know your rifle. I would look at the Powder Manufacturer's recommendations, which will be on the conservative side and start from there.

When I am back home this weekend I can tell you what Berger says to start with in their loading manual, which is my main starting source for loading.

Bob
    Last edited by rkittine; 05-15-2019 at 07:10 AM.
    Robert Kittine

I understand about not sharing the load data. The manuals I have on hand for reference are Nosler and Hornady, and neither really worked up anything based on the powders I have on hand. I also used the "wayback machine" to look up some older published articles from German Salazar (excellent reads by the way).

Although I have worked up some loads for the 175gr RDF bullets, it would seem that the longer throat of my barrel would prefer the heavier/longer 210gr bullets. More research on my part now.

I use the h4895 and find hornady and hogdon to be very conservative on what they publish. I use Hodgson and start from the middle and go from there. Now granite I have a 12 twist but found my nodes for the bullets I use to be just over their max listings but still well below pressure signs. Obviously don't start there but all the fun for me is finding the sweet spot anyways.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Most of my superior nodes are over the listed ma loads in the manuals, but I am using custom actions with know chambers. Hence way I am reluctant to give out my actual loads, plus I am not loading for a .30-06, my 30 caliber rifles close enough are .308s.

With regard to bullet weight, twist is probably the most critical for bullet stabilization. Throat will determine though seating depth and whether you can end up with Jump, Jam or Touch. I would rather give up seating depth in favor of stabilization of the bullet, so if 175 - 185 grainers are called for based on rifling twist, I would live with as little Jump as I could get before going to longer heavier projectiles. That being said, it depends on what you expectations are and for what yardage.

You might want to look at some of the load data for the .308 on AccurateShooter.com's home page (click on .308 on the left side.

Bob
    Robert Kittine

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12