Chamber length
Join Today

Thread: Chamber length

Chamber length

It seems my factory 700 SPS varmint’s chamber length is MUCH too long. I hand load everything, and using simplistic methods as well as an OAL gauge, my OAL is 2.945 ... The bullet seating is minimal at best. Can this be adjusted by a qualified gunsmith, or would I be better off buying an after market barrel?

Hi K and welcome to the forum. Are you saying that the Free Bore is too long? Or are you saying that the chamber itself is too long? That is typical of Remington Factory Chambers. Allows for about any length projectile. You could have the barrel set back and rechambered. What caliber is it and what barrel twist? Are you trying to Touch or Jam into the lands? Hard to do that in most factory 700s. Before I would spend a bunch of money on a factory barrel I would go the new barrel route.

Bob
    Last edited by rkittine; 12-30-2019 at 09:42 AM.
    Robert Kittine
    Sag Harbor and Manhattan, New York

Quote Originally Posted by Kgreene View Post
    It seems my factory 700 SPS varmint’s chamber length is MUCH too long. I hand load everything, and using simplistic methods as well as an OAL gauge, my OAL is 2.945 ... The bullet seating is minimal at best. Can this be adjusted by a qualified gunsmith, or would I be better off buying an after market barrel?
    I assume you have a 308 based on the oal you specified. 700’s with this long free bore and lead are usually very accurate with traditional bullets such as the 168 Matchking. I would not do anything to it unless you have a specific bullet in mind for a specific purpose that won’t jump to the lands. If that’s the case then I agree with Bob’s recommendations
    "If we open a quarrel between the past and the present we shall find that we have lost the future.”
    Winston Churchill

4. Remove Advertisements
    700Rifle.com
    Advertisements

I have a 700P in 308 and it has a very long throat in it but it doesn’t seem to affect the accuracy of it. I’ve thought about setting it back or rebarreling it but it’s just so accurate I can’t do it. If your rifle doesn’t shoot good unless it’s jammed, use a different bullet. The hole by itself was my aim point.