New to the forum, lr shooting and 700
Join Today

New to the forum, lr shooting and 700

Hello im new to the forum and have been shooting my ar, ak platforms along with my handguns. Recently i took the wifes howa 1500 (.223) out and really enjoyed it and got super interested in kr shooting. Went to scheels and they had a 700 ss 5r 20" threaded barrel on sale for 900 plus a 150$ rebate (.308), so after a good bit of research i decided to pick it up. I ordered a masdefense brake, harris bipod and am waiting on the vortex hst 6-24x50 moa to get here along with leupold 20 moa rail and burris xtr rings. I have read alot where people dont care for the trigger and swap that and the stock out. I figure i am going to shoot it as is for a bit and see what i "need" to change out. I havent fired it yet but am ready as soon as the scope gets here. I reload and have about 500 pieces of once fired brass cleaned and sized. I have some 150gr fmjs, and just picked up some 168gr edl match projectiles. I will try various grains after break in. Any pointers would be much appreciated. Heres a pic of the gun and my monday outing with the howa at 100 yards with stock nikko scope and 55gr hornaday fmjs i loaded up for plinking in my ar. I really dont care for the trigger on the howa.
    Attached Images Attached Images

In my experience a lot of money is expended on trying to make a rifle shoot better BEFORE the shooter has exceeded the capabilities of the rifle "As Is". You've got a pretty good setup there and I'd just hit the range and practice, practice, practice.

Focus on basics like position, grip, technique (like preloading bipod before each shot, squeezing trigger the same every time, etc). When you've reached the limit of accuracy then it's time to make changes. If shooting factory ammo it might also be time to start hand loading. Again, work on your loading technique until you've reached another plateau in accuracy.

Usually the first two changes that are made after you've hit a plateau is the trigger. Next is the stock unless the original was so crappy it hit the barrel with every shot.

As for the Howa Trigger, haven't shot one. I will say that about 6 months ago I bought a Savage 10T with Accutrigger and hated it. Nothing like my Remingtons with Timney CE triggers. No replacement available for this model Savage without serious modification to the action so I just shot it as is. Amazing though. After a while I'm actually shooting this rifle as good if not better than my Remingtons.

Last Friday a group at 200 yards measured .107 MOA. Point is that one can get used to something "different" and overcome the perceived "faults".

I know it's neat to get fancier gear, dumping $300-$1000 in a stock and another $100-$400 in a trigger assembly but remember, without a good "operator" it just becomes a very expensive rifle that just shoots "average".

Welcome and Good Shooting

It is the Remington .308 you are talking about now and not the Howa correct? Assume the Trigger is POST RECALL. You can check the serial number on the Remington Site in case it is older inventory. Is it a 1:12 twist barrel?

Bob
    Robert Kittine
    Sag Harbor and Manhattan, New York

4. Remove Advertisements
    700Rifle.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the info deadshot, and nice shooting. I have alot of practice to do. I definitely dont want to go dumping money into the trigger and stock until i have figured the rifle out. As far as handloading that is my plan, it is definitely more cost effective and accurate. Plus i didnt spend the money on the reloading supplies to let it set. Haha
    Last edited by Busarich; 05-31-2017 at 01:41 PM.

Thanks rk, i was talking about the howa trigger i havent shot the 700 yet and it is the 11.25 twist barrel
    Last edited by Busarich; 05-31-2017 at 01:43 PM.

Precision Long Range Shooting is like Drugs - Very addictive. You will love the highs and the low (low check book balance that is!)

Bob
    Robert Kittine

I can already see it. Between the rifle, mk4 rail, xtr rings, hst scope, muzzle brake and bipod it had been a good chunk. Got lucky, found 400 pieces of .308 brass (once fired) at a neighbors yard sale for 10$ already deprimed. Various brands but 400 pieces none the less.

Nice to meeting guys. Thanks for sharing such great shooting info.

Nice to see a 2017 post still active.

Bob
    Robert Kittine