Long range scope for $400
Join Today

Long range scope for $400

For long range target shooting, if there are any good scope out there?
    I'have a budget of around $400. Anyone have a suggestion in this range? I am less familiar down in this range.
    Would appreciate recommendations.
    Thnx

A fantastic start scope in the price range would be the SWFA Super Sniper 10X42 in either the side focus or rear focus... I prefer the side focus, but that changes the price from $299 to $399.

Rear focus ($299): https://www.swfa.com/swfa-ss-10x42-t...lescope-6.html

Side Focus ($399): https://www.swfa.com/swfa-ss-10x42m-....html?___SID=U

Note here, these scopes come with a Mil-Quad reticle, but can be had with Mildot reticles as well. Do a google search on youtube for the SWFA Super Sniper 10X42, and then let the viewing begin!

I loved these scopes so much, that when I got the funds in hand, I moved up to the SWFA 3-15X42 FFP Super Sniper scope. I own two of these, one on a Remington 700 Long Range (30-06) and the other on my RPR (308). The original 10X42 scope I owned was the side focus variant, as I prefer side focus over rear focus, but either would serve you well.

I am biased, as I have never really owned any other long range brand of scope, so I defer to others for their expertise.

How long is Long Range for you? I probably spend almost as much on my optics as I do on my rifles. That being said, if you are talking out past 500 yards, then I would not go less than a 6x24. Although you can use a fixed power like a Weaver 36, Sightron 40 etc., when you have mirage, it is helpful to be able to crank the scope down.

If you watch you might find a Vortex Viper 6x24 New for under $400.00. You might want to check out, www.AccurateShooter.com and see what they have used. Usually plenty of used scopes for sale there as people upgrade.

Bob
    Robert Kittine
    Sag Harbor and Manhattan, New York

4. Remove Advertisements
    700Rifle.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Dolivarka View Post
    For long range target shooting, if there are any good scope out there?
    I'have a budget of around $400. Anyone have a suggestion in this range? I am less familiar down in this range.
    Would appreciate recommendations.
    Thnx
    In this price range i'll suggest you to use Vortex Diamondback scope. It's also good for long distance target for $200. Good clear glass and everything works fine!
    If you wana learn more details on Vortex Diamondback you'll find more here.
    Last edited by Nouptownd; 04-18-2020 at 12:38 AM.

Weaver T36

Hello.

The Weaver T36 scopes are excellent. I currently own two, one is on a Kimber 82G and the other on a Remington 700P in 223. They are made in Japan and of very good quality. The turrets can be rotated around and always come back to where they were. I put them all on steel rings and lapp them with a 0.999" bar. The best price I've found on the T36 and T24 are from Killough Shooting Sports https://www.killoughshootingsports.com/. I think they are in TX.

Do not buy a cheap scope. They do not return to center and at some distances may have no elevation left in them. This advice was given to me when I first started shooting years ago and rather than listen I wasted money. Just get a good scope like the Weaver.

Wayne
    Last edited by TTLongRifle; 04-21-2020 at 06:31 PM.

The T-36 is a great scope. I own a number of them. The only draw back is the fixed magnification. Let us know what yardages you are intending to shoot at. The field of view on a 36 power scoped for closer shoots can be an issue and on longer shoots you might not be able to crank out (lower power) mirage. My T-36s are all on rifles I shoot competition at, off a bench and no more than 200 yards,

Bob
    Robert Kittine
    Sag Harbor and Manhattan, New York