Suitable 700SA replacement?
Join Today
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Doom
  • 1 Post By GeoW

Thread: Suitable 700SA replacement?

Suitable 700SA replacement?

Given the terrible news coming from Remington, I need to find a suitable replacement for 700-footprint actions. Does anybody have a suggestion for me? I prefer good value for my money, but don't mind paying for really good stuff. Seems to me, I read a comment from Robert K about other actions...

Thanks,

I have a Bergara B14 hunter that shoots lights out,it’s based on the 700 Remington but you won’t have to change the trigger or stock,it’s a really good rifle.

Once you buy a Custom Action, you will never go back. There are a number of Drop In 700 Clone actions. I like the ones from Bordon.

If you pick up a new Remington Action only and then pay to have it accurized / blueprinted, you are almost at the cost of a 700 custom clone and no where near the quality of the custom action. Back when Dicks would have 700 Deal rifles it sometimes paid to buy one and throw everything but the action away, but those days are gone for now.

https://bordenrifles.com/custom-actions/

Bob

VISE LEFT CRP RS.jpg

One of my Borden Built Rifles for 1,000 Yard Benchrest
    Last edited by rkittine; 11-19-2020 at 08:26 AM.
    Robert Kittine
    Sag Harbor and Manhattan, New York

4. Remove Advertisements
    700Rifle.com
    Advertisements

This might help put this in perspective.

I got into shooting about 11 years ago at the ripe old age of 58. My first rifle centerfire rifle was a Dick’s 700ADL varmint in 223. I paid about $400 for that rifle. Out of the box it was probably 1/2 MOA. In 2012 I added a 700SPS Tactical 308 which again was probably about 1/2 to 3/4 MOA out of the box. I paid around $650 for that rifle.

The 223 came with an XMarkPro non adjustable trigger and a cheap non floating plastic stock. The trigger actually could be adjusted but invalidated the warranty but was not repeatable in terms of pull. So the rifle ended up with a Choate Ultimate Varmint Stock and a Timney 510 Trigger. Total investment of about $750 for a rifle that shoots a 3 shot group routinely in the sub .2 MOA with handloads.

The 308 came with a XMarkPro adjustable trigger and a Hogue Overmold piller bedded stock. The stock was worse than the plastic stock. The fore end would float or not float depending on the amount of loading you put on the bipod or location of the rest. Trigger was much like the ADL trigger. Replaced the trigger and the stock with a B&C Medalist Light Tactical. That put the cost at around $1100 for a sub .5 MOA rifle.

I am happy with both rifles. They are now what could/should have come from the factory. However, if I were to purchase another rifle today, I would probably go the 700 custom route. The primary issue is quality control. I would also probably go with a Remage barrel arrangement.
    mayor likes this.
    "If we open a quarrel between the past and the present we shall find that we have lost the future.”
    Winston Churchill

How long before you wear a Rem 700 action out? Used them here over 50 years and still going strong, the old even smoother than the new.

g
    mayor likes this.

If you take care of it you will ever wear out the action, just the barrel and maybe a firing pin and / or spring.
    Robert Kittine

Extractor!
    "If we open a quarrel between the past and the present we shall find that we have lost the future.”
    Winston Churchill

Yep, Should have put Extractor in the mix too. It is one of the things that I change out right away with any 700 action that I have, but not critical. I like the Sako Extrators.

Bob
    Robert Kittine

Quote Originally Posted by Doom View Post
    This might help put this in perspective.

I got into shooting about 11 years ago at the ripe old age of 58. My first rifle centerfire rifle was a Dick’s 700ADL varmint in 223. I paid about $400 for that rifle. Out of the box it was probably 1/2 MOA. In 2012 I added a 700SPS Tactical 308 which again was probably about 1/2 to 3/4 MOA out of the box. I paid around $650 for that rifle.

The 223 came with an XMarkPro non adjustable trigger and a cheap non floating plastic stock. The trigger actually could be adjusted but invalidated the warranty but was not repeatable in terms of pull. So the rifle ended up with a Choate Ultimate Varmint Stock and a Timney 510 Trigger. Total investment of about $750 for a rifle that shoots a 3 shot group routinely in the sub .2 MOA with handloads.

The 308 came with a XMarkPro adjustable trigger and a Hogue Overmold piller bedded stock. The stock was worse than the plastic stock. The fore end would float or not float depending on the amount of loading you put on the bipod or location of the rest. Trigger was much like the ADL trigger. Replaced the trigger and the stock with a B&C Medalist Light Tactical. That put the cost at around $1100 for a sub .5 MOA rifle.

I am happy with both rifles. They are now what could/should have come from the factory. However, if I were to purchase another rifle today, I would probably go the 700 custom route. The primary issue is quality control. I would also probably go with a Remage barrel arrangement.
    That's why Remington sold 8 Million plus Model 700's, just a little tweak and sub moa and sub sub moa out of factory barrels. I've owned Pre-63 Model 70's, Copper's out of Stevensville, Montana and Savages. The pre-64 model 70's were accurate for their time and still are while Savage left its mark on the Rifle Industry as so easy to swap a barrels. I just like the feel of the model 700 bolt and smoothness of the action, never not been able NOT to get 700 to shoot just like you have Doom. Just kick my self not buying a few more 700's just to have them in case 700 production ceases @ Illion.