WHY .308
Join Today

Thread: WHY .308

I know a lot of people use the .308 round and that it is a very popular cartridge - but i wonder why. Correct me if i am wrong ( and i might be ) but if you are shooting competition, it seems that there are several cartridges out that have a lot flatter trajectory than the .308 - especially over 500 yards. And if it is because of the energy sustained during flight - wouldn't a longer action cartridge (.30-06, .300 win mag, .300 wsm and the .300 RUM) hold its energy longer with essentially the same bullet. I also know some of you cats are shooting the 6.5 creedmore and the 6.5x47 lapua which makes sense to me (which from my understaning is a lot closer to a .25 or .243 round - correct?). So please educate me and tell me why a .308.
    Not trying to hurt anyones feelings - I am just trying to understand.
    \"The only real power comes out of a long rifle.\" -joseph stalin

Super Moderator
    I shoot .308 just cause of the cost. Using once fired brass my loads are are around .48 cents complete. I get great accuracy, and he farthest I can get to is 600 so it's just practical for me.

I have no idea why. I think it's because it's what the Military uses and so there is plenty of brass around and it's what people know. There are so many better cartridges around for paper punching and hunting.

My personal favorite is the .243 Ackley for long range shooting and the 6 MM BR if the wind is favorable. If I was shooting matches it would be the 6.5X47 Lapua or any other of a handful of cartridges.

The only reason I would build a .308 is if match rules required it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    700Rifle.com
    Advertisements

ITS A VERSITALE CARTRIDGE. ITS ALSO A MILITARY ROUND THAT ALOT OF SHOOTERS ARE FAMILIAR WITH . IT IS VERY VERY ACCURATE .LOW COST TO SHOOT.GIVES ALOT OF OPTIONS AND HELL JUST PLAIN FUN TO SHOOT. YES TIMES HAVE CHANGED AND THERE ARE ALOT OF BETTER ONES FOR LONG RANGE LIKE THE 6.5'S OR 7MM AND IN THE BENCH REST WORLD THERES THE PPC'S BUT THE 308 IS A TIME TESTED CALIBER THAT WILL BE AROUND ALOT LONGER THAN ANY OF US.
    ...kill em all !!!!

As odd as it seems, I tend to choose my rifles based on the cartridges that are most likely to be available should anything happen.. I have a couple 5.56mm/.223s, a .308, a .22LR and a .45ACP. I plan soon on adding a .300 Blackout to my collection (a mix of .223 cases with .308 bullets).

I don't have any particular reasons for doing so (I'm not really a "prepper," per say).. but I do appreciate the low cost and availability of these "common" cartridges. Well, that and I'm old school, have trained for years with those cartridges so I know exactly what to expect, and don't have a need (or a place) to shoot more than 600yds.

To each their own, I guess.

Im not dogging the .308 round - I like it myself - but ot seems there are more accurate rounds - especially at a distance and there are definately more rounds that have more damaging results on prey.

I thought about this question for a cuple of days, I came up with no real good answer. I know you you are asking about long range shooting but here are my reasons. I like the 308 because when I do shoot long range it can get the job done, I can't get the job done, I am good for 600 meters, after that I need to do alot more work on my shooting skills. I do a lot of hunting with my 308, I shoot almost eveything from crows to grizzly bears. I do not need any recoil reduction addons like on my 338 win. When I go shooting I like to make atleast a cuple of hours out of it and anything much bigger I find a little to punishing to shoot without recoil reduction. IMR lists reduced loads using titegroup and 168g bullets. This load works well (not great) for shooting rabits out back, very quiet. But still no real good reason to choose 308 over anything other cartrige.
    Dear Revenue Canada: I would like to cancel my subscription, so please remove my name from your mailing list.

If you are hunting grizzlies with a .308, you are more of a daredevil than i ever will be (and at 40 years old i still race motorcross in the pro-am class). Have you actually killed a grizz with the .308? And if so, what were the distances?

yes I have killed grizz with a 308 win, only 2, the right bullet makes all the diference. The 308 is almost as powerful as a 3006, with the right load it will equil it. People get this opinion of grizz they are hard to kill and they are huge, yes some are the ones I shoot were under 500 lbs. probably only acuple of years old, one was at 80 meters feeding and I suprised him with a hit to the side of the head. The other was nosing around around camp after we downed a moose, one shoot to the heart he ran 50 meters or so and dropped. Both were taken in the middle of Britsh Columbia . Knowing your rifle and having the to wait patients for a good kill shoot. I read in places where guys talking about shooting an animal in the sholder, I was told to go for a kill shoot and waist no meat, so head shoots or heart shoots. Use a good bullet and your game will be yours.
    Dear Revenue Canada: I would like to cancel my subscription, so please remove my name from your mailing list.

Search tags for this page

why 308

why a 308
why choose 308
Click on a term to search for related topics.