Puzzled about 223 headspace
Join Today

Puzzled about 223 headspace

Hello:

I wonder if anyone can help me solve a problem. I reload one-fired and processes 556 cases for use in my target ARs and bolt 223 rifles. The other day I experienced an event I've never seen. I took a bolt gun, an original Rem 788 in 223 remington to the range. I was firing processed LC brass, loaded with 25 grains of 2230 on top a 52 grain Hornady, VMax bullets, OAL 2.255. Within 20 shots I had 2 case separations picture attached. Somehow I must have experienced a headspace issue. The Redding 223 die was screwing down to fully contact the shell-holder. Is there something unusual about the chamber dimensions of the 223 chambering in the 788? I have a Remington 700 in 223 and I've never had any problems with LC 556 brass?

Thank you in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Welcome to the forum. Have you taken a fired case and see if it will fit in your AR?

Bob
    Robert Kittine
    Sag Harbor and Manhattan, New York

You need to measure the headspace of some fired brass from the 788 and compare that to your processed. You will need a tool like the https://www.hornady.com/headspace-bushings#!/
    "If we open a quarrel between the past and the present we shall find that we have lost the future.”
    Winston Churchill

4. Remove Advertisements
    700Rifle.com
    Advertisements

Thank you. I found out all my brass is 6 1000s short on head-space. My gunsmith said if shoot it in the 788 again simply spray with Hornady lube and after firing they will be correctly head spaced. Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Dan983 View Post
    Thank you. I found out all my brass is 6 1000s short on head-space. My gunsmith said if shoot it in the 788 again simply spray with Hornady lube and after firing they will be correctly head spaced. Thank you
    I think you need to start with some new brass for the 788 and keep them separated from the other and sized correctly. Spraying them with case lube is just going to make them stretch easier and thus more separations. Stretching them and then resizing them too short and stretching them again is what is causing the case head separations. It doesn’t hurt anything to have a chamber a little long as long as the brass is sized right and segregated from the others. Be safe.

I had a case separate just like that In one of my bolt rifles, it was Lake city brass, only once just weak brass I guess or little to much powder if it was heavy brass, I didn't check the weight of the brass, it never happened again.