Will Remington re-barrel my Rem700 ADL .243 Winchester rifle - Page 2
Join Today
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    The new projectiles available now are superior (Match Grade) to older ones based on sometimes design and sometimes materials and sometimes manufacturing technology. Thought I use a lot of projectiles from custom makers, I like Bart, Berger and Sierra match offerings, especially the new cut and tipped Sierra's in 6 and 6.5mm.

Every 700 I have owned, will shoot 1 MOA with handloads tuned to the rifle, but just like you said, with a better barrel and customized handloads you can get 1/2 or less MOA accuracy. After talking to my friend who spent 35 years working in the custom shop and retired as the manager as well as the people at Dakota Arms that received the barrel making equipment from Ilion, New York, I would not have Remington put one of their barrels on any of my rifles. As I have previously stated, my latest Remington Build came from the Custom shop, now at Dakota Arms and was supplied with a Krieger Barrel as they understand (Dakota Arms) accuracy.

Bob
    Robert Kittine
    Sag Harbor and Manhattan, New York

Rkittine, I have always been happy with the barrels that came on my Remington 700 rifles. . .except one. When Remington first introduced the 8mm Mag, I bought one. I was living in Utah at the time and did not have a rifle to reach out for mule deer. I was already reloading at the time and added the dies for the 8mm Mag to my bench. I tried all kinds of recommended powders and bullets. Spent months trying to develop a "good" load. Factory ammo? None shot, and I tried EVERYTHING available, better than 3" groups at 100 yds.

I handloaded bullets ranging 150 gr to 220 gr trying several powders with each. Even cold bore shots would not group. But, it was also clear that three shot groups, (15 seconds between produced a VERY hot barrel) were really bad. The heating of the barrel, a barrel which I felt was too light, would regularly create 5+" groups. I began to think my skills were just not up to the task. And, Yes, I was probably getting gun shy. The sucker kicked like the proverbial mule, bruising my shoulder and shortening my time at the range.

On another trip to the range my buddy handed me his 700 in 300 Win Mag. I shot a 3 shot 1" group. Several times.

I should have sent the 8 mag back to Remington, but I set it in the back of the safe and forgot about it. A few years ago I contemplated re-barreling the rifle to something more enjoyable. And when I went looking I realized that the Rem 8mm Mag had been discontinued. But, someone on Ebay put up 1000 brand new 8mm Mag cases and a bushel basket of every weight and style 8mm bullets for reloading that I'd ever seen. . .for $200 delivered. Switching to another cartridge, such as the 338 Lapua, was likely going to cost me about the same in revamping my loading supply and equipment and components. So I decided to stay with the 8mm and had Douglas install a medium weight (heavy by any factory standard) target barrel (yeah, stainless mat finish with a slight uniform angle taper).

The 8mm Mag was not a light rifle, but I felt that the thin sporterized factory barrel was the culprit in both the lack of accuracy and the PUNISHING kick. I do not remember the original weight. The 8mm came back to me from Douglas weighing 13 pounds 3 oz! First day at the range I fired over 100 rounds with no discomfort at all. Surprisingly, I did discover that virtually all of my previous handloads, which were all midrange powder loads, showed over-pressure signs.

Worked up new loads with several different bullet weights and styles. Spectacularly, no load, powder or bullet weight, flat base of boat-tail, shot any worse than 1.2 MOA groups. The 200g and 220g boat-tails 3 shot groups could be covered with a quarter at 300 yds. with many groups having 2 shots through the same hole. My buddy kept telling me to quit grinning!

Six years later after installing a 25X scope on a 20 moa mount in the wide open spaces of the central western Utah desert I hit a 3ft X 3ft steel gong at 1 mile (Odometer reading on the vehicle) with 4 out of 7 shots. (I'd moved to CA and years before and took the rifle with me on a visit back to UT) Unfortunately, I have not had a chance to ever hunt with that rifle in the 12-15 years since the barrel change. Hope my son can make use of it some day.

After re-reading this a couple of times and making a couple of corrections, I realize I cannot put the time line together correctly. What amazes me is that I have owned this rifle since 1978-1979. ~40 freaking years. Damn I'm getting old!
    Last edited by Bruce Frank; 06-24-2020 at 07:15 PM.

Like I said, you can typically get 1 MOA out of a Remington 700 with Handloads. Some may require that you bed the action and float the barrel, which is the best way to go anyway. I am also not a fan of any of the Remington Triggers and all my 700 Actions have aftermarket triggers on them. Jewel, Big-N-Andy or Timney Calvin Elite.

BUT, if you want to be shooting 3-4" at 1,000 yards, you will need a blueprinted action, a benchrest trigger, custom barrel and a custom chamber, one of which you will get on a factory 700.

For 100 Yard Benchrest I shoot a 6PPC. In competition, there is a target backer - a roll of paper that moves across behind the target. This is so when you have 5 shots all in the same hole, the moving paper will show that you actually put 5 shots in that exact same spot.

Bob
    Last edited by rkittine; 06-25-2020 at 01:24 PM.
    Robert Kittine

4. Remove Advertisements
    700Rifle.com
    Advertisements

Bruce Frank....I bought a new 8mm Rem Magnum in 1983. As I knew brass would be an issue years ago I stocked up on 500 cases and loaded up 300 with the Rem 220 SP 78.0 AA3100. It sat on the shelf for 25 years...last year I started shooting it. At 300 yards I had a 6" wide x 18" steel plate. After zeroing with a Tasco 3 X 9 x 40 World Class scope, I was hitting it with every shot. Not a target gun, but the accuracy is good enough for me. I hit the 1/2" thick plate so often, that it broke apart.

1 Minute of angle at 300 yards will give you an approximate group size of 3" (a little different but close enough) which should be great for hitting something 6" across at the narrowest point. My only question has been, what accuracy does the OP want. If it is 1 MOA then great, but Bankruptcy aside, if I am going to rebarrel, it would always be with a cut rifling, hand lapped barrel over a factory barrel. I would take the time to change caliber probably also, but again it depends on what type of shooting is being done. Nothing wrong with the .243, but there are more accurate rounds in 6mm.

Bob
    Robert Kittine

Robert, every other Remington I have owned shot one MOA or better. That is why I was so disappointed with the 8mm. But I am very happy with the rifle now with that Douglas barrel. But, my joy right now is my PCR in 6 MM CM. A true "shoots better than I do" rifle!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12