Will Remington re-barrel my Rem700 ADL .243 Winchester rifle
Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Will Remington re-barrel my Rem700 ADL .243 Winchester rifle

Hello to all...

I have a 1977 Rem 700 ADL .243 Win rifle that has had 2,000+ rounds shot through it. The accuracy & velocity have fallen off...can I send it to Remington to get a new factory barrel installed? After markets barrels run well over $400 installed and I was wondering if Remington still re-barrels model 700's. I have number of Rem 700's in various calibers; all have very good accuracy in my book.

Thank you!

Wally,

Welcome to the forum from New York.

If I was going to rebarrel a Remington 700 Action, I would never spend the money to have another Remington barrel put on it. Maybe the Custom Shop, but then you might as well find a local gunsmith and get a barrel, have it chambered and installed. Are you going to stay with .243? Or are you changing calibers too?

Bob
    Robert Kittine
    Sag Harbor and Manhattan, New York

That’s odd,my brother’s 700 .243 has 6000+ rounds through it and hits great,my mid 80’s .243 has over 3000 through it with no drop in accuracy.

4. Remove Advertisements
    700Rifle.com
    Advertisements

Thank you, Robert!

All my 7 Rem 700's are quite accurate with their factory barrels. I've never had fouling issues and I am perfectly content with them. I have located a new factory Remington barrel (in the white) and can have a local gunsmith install it...that will run $300 "out the door". The new barrel will be a 26" varmint barrel....the gunsmith will hob out the stick by 4mm for the thicker barrel. I will stay with the .243 Win caliber. I was just wondering if I may not be better off having Remington replace the barrel.

I shoot mostly cast bullet loads, but also shoot Speer 70 TNT & 75 grain HPs in the .243 Win. I change scopes when I switch from one to the other.

The leade has eroded on mine. I can seat 107 grain bullets out very long and they still won't touch the leade. Also I am losing 8% velocity with it now (I have and use a Chronograph) . I just did a side by side comparison with it and a Savage Axis in the same caliber... The Savage "won" with every load I shot through both. The Rem 700 has a better scope and a nicer trigger. I set up at 200 yards and plinked at a 4" plate using both cast & j-bullet loads...the Savage did better with no flyers. In my "research" it is said that a .243 Win is good for 1,500~2,000 rounds with J-bullets due to its' "overbore". BTW the Savage hit that plate consistently with both J-bullets and a no., of cast loads. Then I moved onto water filled 12 ounce soda cans (2.4" wide) and hit more than I missed.

Quote Originally Posted by Freefloat View Post
    That’s odd,my brother’s 700 .243 has 6000+ rounds through it and hits great,my mid 80’s .243 has over 3000 through it with no drop in accuracy.

Depending on what ammo is used in a .243, the barrel life will vary. Some calibers are bigger barrel bruners that others like the .220 Sift compared to a .223. It will also vary if cleaning is not done correctly. Too little as well as too much cleaning, can erode the chamber, the throat and things like the crown as well as the rifling. A rifle used for casual shooting or hunting only, usually will cause less barrel erosion than over heating the barrel in continuous range firing.

I have a Rod Guide for every bolt action rifle that I have, which eliminates bore and throat damage from aggressive cleaning.

How much variation are you getting in velocity and are you comparing different times of the year with different ambient temperatures, humidity etc.

Bob

If you can borrow a bore scope, you should take a closer look at the bore.
    Robert Kittine
    Sag Harbor and Manhattan, New York

I don't know of anyone with a bore scope. I shoot in temperatures ranging from 50 ~85°. I don't go overboard in cleaning and shoot many other calibers; I clean them all the same. Only the 7mm Rem Magnum is showing signs of erosion (significant drop in velocity).

Borescope?

Quote Originally Posted by Wallyl View Post
    I don't know of anyone with a bore scope. I shoot in temperatures ranging from 50 ~85°. I don't go overboard in cleaning and shoot many other calibers; I clean them all the same. Only the 7mm Rem Magnum is showing signs of erosion (significant drop in velocity).
    Teslong Borescope from Amazon for $79.99. Probably worth it. I have seen good reports. Have not used mine yet.

Quote Originally Posted by ltcjwb View Post
    Teslong Borescope from Amazon for $79.99. Probably worth it. I have seen good reports. Have not used mine yet.
    Unless you know what to look for, you'll be sorry you ever ran a borescope down the barrel.

g

It is possible that Remington has changed, but I have a 700 Varminter in 308 that I used for Metallic Silhouette in excess of 20,000 rounds. They would not rebarrel it. I sent it to Douglas to make and install a new mat finish stainless (same contour as the OEM bull barrel) barrel. Latest price I checked about a year ago is about $650. The new barrel using my handloads with the 168 gr Match bullet produces 1/2 MOA 5 shot groups. The original Remington barrel was good but it averaged 1 moa 5 shot groups with the same load (actually all from the same box full of my hand loads from 25 years ago). I am of the opinion, from some tests, that new match grade bullets will shoot better that the Sierra Match bullets that I loaded 25 years ago.

I did not go with a local Smith because my thoughts were that the manufacturer would build what I wanted from exceedingly greater experience and tooling. A local Smith for a stainless barrel was only saving me $120 even considering the shipping costs.
    Last edited by Bruce Frank; 06-24-2020 at 03:27 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast