Accuracy issue?
Join Today
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Deadshot2
  • 1 Post By Deadshot2

Thread: Accuracy issue?

Accuracy issue?

I'm new to shooting. I have a stock 700 SPS-V in .308 with VX-3 scope.

Sighted in at 100-yds without issue. Groups of 3 shots in 1" diameter groups the location, as expected, would change depending on the round.
    Moved up to 200-yds using lake city ammo and was shooting 1" high in a 2" diameter circle. Made my adjustments and then I was shooting groups in a >6" diameter.
    I switched to Federal Gold 168 and the group tighten up to 2". I assumed it was the Lace City Ammo.
    The following weekend I went shooting 335-yds using lake city ammo and put the first three shots in a 2" diameter circle. I then switched to the Federal Gold and was shooting 24" diameter groups. I switched back to the lake city and was still all over the place. The scope isn't loose and the stock doesn't appear to be loose?

Does anyone have any ideas what my problem could be? Could air temp make that much of a difference going form 70 degrees in the shade to 105 degrees in the sun?

Thanks

My first guess would be that you have an issue with the stock. The first thing I would do (other than replacing it) is loosen both action screws, stand rifle up on recoil pad, give it a bounce on the floor (use a phone book or something similar as a pad), and retorque the action screws. Use a torque wrench and don't guess. When torqued then take a piece of paper, fold it once, and see if it will pass from the front of the stock back to the action, under the barrel. If not you have interference from the stock and it needs to be dealt with.

Rather than focus on ammo, focus on a stock that on it's best day still has more flex in it than it should. It was really designed for firing one or two shots on a hunting trip, not a day at the range target shooting. The warmer it gets the worse it will be. Hint: Notice how it got worse the more you shot?
    unclesarge58 likes this.

I agree but can tell you that the stock has pressure pads. It is not designed to float

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    700Rifle.com
    Advertisements

Thanks Deadshot, I'll give it a try and hopefully get to shoot again on Sunday. I plan on a new stock and trigger just don't have the extra funds since I need get some additional AR15s before she gets into office.

Quote Originally Posted by ssmods View Post
    I agree but can tell you that the stock has pressure pads. It is not designed to float

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
    All the more reason to check torque, let cool after every 3-4 shots, or change stocks.
    unclesarge58 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadshot2 View Post
    All the more reason to check torque, let cool after every 3-4 shots, or change stocks.

What is the torque supposed be be on a plastic stock?

Quote Originally Posted by LVJimmy View Post
    What is the torque supposed be be on a plastic stock?
    Around 45 "inch" pounds. I'd loosen both screws and lift up on the action a little and push it down firmly then tight each screw about 10 inch pounds at a time until tight. See if it helps.

Problem solved, XLR Element and Timney trigger to the rescue.

That will fix it. Same combo I'm using. You will love the results

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

A world of difference already. Without any adjustments, pulled the action from original stock, changed the trigger, put into the XLR stock and went to the range. hit a 16" steel target with 20 shots in a row at 450 yards. Rifle is much more comfortable to shoot too. The trigger was a great improvement too. I didn't realize how inconsistent the factory one was. I'm not sure if I actually pull the CE trigger or it just senses that I want to shoot and fires by itself.

Thanks for your help everyone and have a wonderful Christmas