I am building a Remington 700 Rifle with Chassis. I need some help (<-newb here) - Page 2
Join Today
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: I am building a Remington 700 Rifle with Chassis. I need some help (<-newb here)

Quote Originally Posted by sva50233 View Post
    Does a 300wm Sendero barrel work with either MDT tac-21 or other rifle chassis meant for Remington 700? (i noticed the guy above who posted a picture of his tac-21 chassis rifle mentioned 'sendero profile'. I'm not sure what that means. But just to be sure, that's why I ask my previous question).

I read the comment about how "300wm uses a long action magnum receiver. Make sure you are buying a long action magnum reciever". Ok, got it.
    Can someone recommend a good quality long action magnum receiver to work with tac-21 chassis?
    Are the receivers in question, specific to a particular chassis (i.e. they must be bought in conjunction with the chassis in order to work)?
    Or are they universally bolt-on able to any after market chassis, generally speaking?
    I can't answer the question about the chassis fitting. But the 700 long Action Magnum action is just that. There is the short action, long action, long action magnum, and long action ultra magnum in a Remington 700 rifle chassis. Pick accordingly.

Brownell's sells the LA magnum chassis: Magnum 700 LA Receiver, Blued | Brownells

the chassis is going to depend on the combo of barrel profile and the receiver type. Probably best to call the stock manufacture to clarify what fits what. you will end up have a lot of $$ in it but you have the chance to build your dream gun if you can afford it. Like Deadshot said, everyone should have a dream rifle. I agree.

Good luck on getting someone to lone you a high dollar scope. A disadvantage to that would also be having to re sight it in every range trip. Waste of ammo, money and range time, JMHO though.

If and when you do this, please share pics of it. We would love to see your build come together.

Scope comment, the scope is very important. You can't buy "to good of a scope". It's not at all unusual to spend as much on your scope as you did on your rifle. Seriously. Why build a high dollar rifle and skimp on the glass.

A good starting point would be to buy a Varmint Barrelled 300wm to start with. Then upgrade as you go. I could shoot just under 1 moa with my stock gun.

This is mine just before I sent it to the gunsmith for customization:

Last edited by 1911ly; 07-06-2016 at 09:25 PM.

Does a 300wm Sendero barrel work with either MDT tac-21 or other rifle chassis meant for Remington 700? (i noticed the guy above who posted a picture of his tac-21 chassis rifle mentioned 'sendero profile'. I'm not sure what that means. But just to be sure, that's why I ask my previous question).

I read the comment about how "300wm uses a long action magnum receiver. Make sure you are buying a long action magnum reciever". Ok, got it.
    Can someone recommend a good quality long action magnum receiver to work with tac-21 chassis?
    Are the receivers in question, specific to a particular chassis (i.e. they must be bought in conjunction with the chassis in order to work)?
    Or are they universally bolt-on able to any after market chassis, generally speaking?
    You can use any barrel profile in an MDT-Tac21 chassis as long as it's OD is not greater than the OD of the Action. The "Sendero Profile" is merely one of Remington's heavier barrel profile. Not as heavy as an M-24 or MTU but definitely not a "Sporter" profile. This chassis holds the action tube securely but ahead of the recoil lug there's extra clearance so the barrel can freely float and cool.

One Caution, Make sure you get the appropriately sized Chassis. MDT offers both Short Action and Long Action, as well as both in RH/LH configeration. Another caution, the "Holland Style" recoil lug will not fit without some serious dremel/file work. They are tapered from barrel to bottom and the MDT chassis is built for the conventional type where the sides are parrallel or straight. You can fit a HD .250" thick lug in so if building, use the heavier lug.

4. Remove Advertisements
    700Rifle.com
    Advertisements

Could I install an ACOG or a CCO, on a mdt tac-21 chassis?
    Any sighting system that will fit on Picatinney 1913 rails will fit on this rifle. Pretty much any military "scope" will fit ---------- However, are you sure you want to "borrow" one? There was recently a "lock-down" out here in WA State at JBLM when an inventory of the Arms Room came up short a "scope" or two. If I were to "borrow", I'd only do so if I had a "get out of jail free card" with me at all times I had it in my possession. Just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadshot2 View Post
    Any sighting system that will fit on Picatinney 1913 rails will fit on this rifle. Pretty much any military "scope" will fit ---------- However, are you sure you want to "borrow" one? There was recently a "lock-down" out here in WA State at JBLM when an inventory of the Arms Room came up short a "scope" or two. If I were to "borrow", I'd only do so if I had a "get out of jail free card" with me at all times I had it in my possession. Just saying.
    Oh, wow. In that case I'd better not do that and just buy myself a scope. I was just calculating the cost of all these items. A barrel will be $200 or so on eBay if I wait long enough. Enough waiting for a chassis will yeild me a perfect one for $450. Now I need to figure out the buttstock, grip, lower receiver, and trigger assemblies, as well as bipod (and buttstock-'pod'/riser'). A person in this thread linked to a brand new receiver for 300wm for $650 new. I would hope to find one used for half the price online. I'm thinking this rifle project is going to get into the mid-$1500 range, without even taking it to a gun smith for assembly. I feel like I'm getting myself into a money pit here. Is that about right to assume as the final price of this rifle? $1500-2000? If so that might be more than I want to spend overall. Maybe I should opt for some more budget parts

Quote Originally Posted by Deadshot2 View Post
    You can use any barrel profile in an MDT-Tac21 chassis as long as it's OD is not greater than the OD of the Action. The "Sendero Profile" is merely one of Remington's heavier barrel profile. Not as heavy as an M-24 or MTU but definitely not a "Sporter" profile. This chassis holds the action tube securely but ahead of the recoil lug there's extra clearance so the barrel can freely float and cool.

One Caution, Make sure you get the appropriately sized Chassis. MDT offers both Short Action and Long Action, as well as both in RH/LH configeration. Another caution, the "Holland Style" recoil lug will not fit without some serious dremel/file work. They are tapered from barrel to bottom and the MDT chassis is built for the conventional type where the sides are parrallel or straight. You can fit a HD .250" thick lug in so if building, use the heavier lug.
    Thanks again deadshot2. I will definitely get the correct chassis and the conventional type of HD recoil lug. Your advice is appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by 1911ly View Post
    I can't answer the question about the chassis fitting. But the 700 long Action Magnum action is just that. There is the short action, long action, long action magnum, and long action ultra magnum in a Remington 700 rifle chassis. Pick accordingly.

Brownell's sells the LA magnum chassis: Magnum 700 LA Receiver, Blued | Brownells

the chassis is going to depend on the combo of barrel profile and the receiver type. Probably best to call the stock manufacture to clarify what fits what. you will end up have a lot of $$ in it but you have the chance to build your dream gun if you can afford it. Like Deadshot said, everyone should have a dream rifle. I agree.

Good luck on getting someone to lone you a high dollar scope. A disadvantage to that would also be having to re sight it in every range trip. Waste of ammo, money and range time, JMHO though.

If and when you do this, please share pics of it. We would love to see your build come together.
    Very good advice. Now it seems like I have to do a lot of research about long action versus short action. I watched a youtube video on this once, but I will now have to revisit the issue. Seems like that's the number one question I have to answer, because every purchase I make is going to be based on the type of barrel i choose: action, lower reciever, chassis, rounds used, and everything will be based on that. So apparently that should have been the first question I asked on here.

Does the distance I fire have anything to do with the type of action I choose? I would be firing at most from 300-500meters. The rifle ranges in my area aren't longer than that and I am not allowed to aim further than the range fan

Any reasonable round should do 300-500 yards in a 700 chassis. I like the 30-06 and the 300wm.

233, 308's are common popular. I'd lean towards 30-06 for price and availability. But honestly, you have lots of choice's. Let your wallet be your guide.

Oh, wow. In that case I'd better not do that and just buy myself a scope. I was just calculating the cost of all these items. A barrel will be $200 or so on eBay if I wait long enough. Enough waiting for a chassis will yeild me a perfect one for $450. Now I need to figure out the buttstock, grip, lower receiver, and trigger assemblies, as well as bipod (and buttstock-'pod'/riser'). A person in this thread linked to a brand new receiver for 300wm for $650 new. I would hope to find one used for half the price online. I'm thinking this rifle project is going to get into the mid-$1500 range, without even taking it to a gun smith for assembly. I feel like I'm getting myself into a money pit here. Is that about right to assume as the final price of this rifle? $1500-2000? If so that might be more than I want to spend overall. Maybe I should opt for some more budget parts
    Easily that much. I am way over that in my current build.

You would be best suited to just opt for a nice 700 from the get go. A good factory 700 can be capable of incredible accuracy. Once you start going for the flash of a nice chassis the money will really start to add up. None of that is even going to do you any good without a nice hand load. You will still be shooting the same size group you would have been from a factory rifle, but it will look sweet.

My build is nothing custom by any means.
    Rifle, 580
    Scope, 850
    Rings, 125
    Base, 60
    Bipod, 100
    Mono, 85
    Case, 150
    Chassis, 500
    Mag, 100

Then you can start to do the scope caps, bolt handle, and even a muzzle brake for say another 2-300. All the prices can vary a little but that's pretty much standard. This is also not including any smith fees you might have
    Last edited by ssmods; 07-08-2016 at 08:48 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast