I am building a Remington 700 Rifle with Chassis. I need some help (<-newb here) - Page 3
Join Today
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: I am building a Remington 700 Rifle with Chassis. I need some help (<-newb here)

Quote Originally Posted by sva50233 View Post
    Is that about right to assume as the final price of this rifle? $1500-2000? If so that might be more than I want to spend overall. Maybe I should opt for some more budget parts
    When building a rifle more realistic prices are along the lines of:

$550 for a Trued action, including bolt (PTG)
    $700 Barrel, installed, (Benchmark)

$125-$225 for trigger (Timney)
    $250-$500 for a stock (Magpul or B&C)

This puts you in the range of $1600 to $1900 for a nice barreled action sitting on a decent stock.

Add $100 for sight base, another $150 for Rings and you still don't have a proper scope. So far we're up to $2250 or so. Now you get to pick the scope you want and there's a good chance you won't find what you want for less than $500 and more likely your "desire" will be closer to $1,000.

In short, building a rifle is pretty much a $3500 project OR MORE.

If you are budget constrained I suggest one take a good look at a Remington SS 5-R Milspec. They shoot great out of the box, sell for around $1000. Add a good scope for around $500 with good rings and base, This will give you a finished rifle for under $2000 that will deliver surprising accuracy and can be re-barreled if ever necessary for another 10,000 rounds.

Think of rifles being a lot like cars. The faster you want it to go and maneuver, the more you are going to have to pay. If you want something to just haul you to work every day, you can get one pretty reasonable. Hunting rifles are a lot different animal than custom built Tactical or Target rifles. Believe me, I have some background on this and a big empty spot in my wallet to prove it

Quote Originally Posted by Deadshot2 View Post
    When building a rifle more realistic prices are along the lines of:

$550 for a Trued action, including bolt (PTG)
    $700 Barrel, installed, (Benchmark)

$125-$225 for trigger (Timney)
    $250-$500 for a stock (Magpul or B&C)

This puts you in the range of $1600 to $1900 for a nice barreled action sitting on a decent stock.

Add $100 for sight base, another $150 for Rings and you still don't have a proper scope. So far we're up to $2250 or so. Now you get to pick the scope you want and there's a good chance you won't find what you want for less than $500 and more likely your "desire" will be closer to $1,000.

In short, building a rifle is pretty much a $3500 project OR MORE.

If you are budget constrained I suggest one take a good look at a Remington SS 5-R Milspec. They shoot great out of the box, sell for around $1000. Add a good scope for around $500 with good rings and base, This will give you a finished rifle for under $2000 that will deliver surprising accuracy and can be re-barreled if ever necessary for another 10,000 rounds.

Think of rifles being a lot like cars. The faster you want it to go and maneuver, the more you are going to have to pay. If you want something to just haul you to work every day, you can get one pretty reasonable. Hunting rifles are a lot different animal than custom built Tactical or Target rifles. Believe me, I have some background on this and a big empty spot in my wallet to prove it
    Is this the rifle you refer to:

https://www.remington.com/rifles/bol...hreaded-barrel

If so, I'd like to call your attention to some rifles that were built by X-werks which feature this rifle base:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Bolt-Action...Size=24&View=1

(I hope I am allowed to post a link to that website on this forum, if not I apologize and will remove the link)

As you can see from that link, a gun shop near where I conduct training has several 5R rifles which feature magpul hunter stocks, and cera koted finishes. Here is the description on one of them:
    -----------
    New in Box X-Werks Coated Custom Remington 700 5R in .308. This rifle started with a stainless 20” 1:11.25 5R twist threaded barrel and a Green/Black stock, Remington part # 85200. This rifle then had a Magpul FDE Cerakote finish applied to the barrel, bolt, action, and bottom metal, X-Werks is a professional finishing company located in Phoenix, AZ. The rifle was then dropped in a Black Magpul Hunter Stock with Magpul Bottom Metal and one magazine. Along with the coating the rifle has a 5/8x24 threaded barrel and X-Mark Pro adjustable triggers. Rifle does not ship with factory stock. Rifle ships as pictured.
    -------------------

On one of these rifles, does the rifle lose its factory accuracy as a result of having another stock attached to the barrel? Do you think the company that did that did an accuracy test on it like they do at Remington from the factory? I would like this rifle, because it's similar enough to the Army's sniper rifle and would look tactical in appearance and be reliable and accurate. I don't like that rifle in factory form with its ugly green stock

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sva50233 View Post
    Is this the rifle you refer to:

https://www.remington.com/rifles/bol...hreaded-barrel

If so, I'd like to call your attention to some rifles that were built by X-werks which feature this rifle base:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Bolt-Action...Size=24&View=1

(I hope I am allowed to post a link to that website on this forum, if not I apologize and will remove the link)

As you can see from that link, a gun shop near where I conduct training has several 5R rifles which feature magpul hunter stocks, and cera koted finishes. Here is the description on one of them:
    -----------
    New in Box X-Werks Coated Custom Remington 700 5R in .308. This rifle started with a stainless 20” 1:11.25 5R twist threaded barrel and a Green/Black stock, Remington part # 85200. This rifle then had a Magpul FDE Cerakote finish applied to the barrel, bolt, action, and bottom metal, X-Werks is a professional finishing company located in Phoenix, AZ. The rifle was then dropped in a Black Magpul Hunter Stock with Magpul Bottom Metal and one magazine. Along with the coating the rifle has a 5/8x24 threaded barrel and X-Mark Pro adjustable triggers. Rifle does not ship with factory stock. Rifle ships as pictured.
    -------------------

On one of these rifles, does the rifle lose its factory accuracy as a result of having another stock attached to the barrel? Do you think the company that did that did an accuracy test on it like they do at Remington from the factory? I would like this rifle, because it's similar enough to the Army's sniper rifle and would look tactical in appearance and be reliable and accurate. I don't like that rifle in factory form with its ugly green stock

Thanks
    im selling a new 5R MILSPEC in 300 win mag with extras. 26 inch non threaded stainless barrel HS precision stock,
    Last edited by blacdog06; 12-19-2017 at 11:34 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123