Pushing my SPS out to 1K yards - Page 2
Join Today
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Pushing my SPS out to 1K yards

Quote Originally Posted by TheCameraMan79 View Post
    Thanks for the reply DS2. I actually referenced the Hogdon site originally to see how fast I could push the 168 SMK. They say they use a 24" test barrel so I obviously won't get that speed out of a 20" barrel. I did see it would be just above the supersonic range but it would definitely be well into the transonic range and I have heard that the 168 SMK doesn't handle it well typically. I bought 500 of the 185 Juggernauts and plan on working up a good load for them. While I'm out there i'll throw a few 168 loads down range but don't expect much and it sounds like the 185 Jug's are the way to go. I may have to look into some more powder since all I have is 4064. According to the Hogdon site though the 4064 will result in the fastest speed (albeit VERY negligible difference).

My membership card came in so now I just need to find some time load up some rounds for testing and hit the range.
    Another powder you might like to try to get some more speed out of the Juggernaut is Alliant Power Pro 2000-MR. I like it when I want some serious speed from 175 gr TMK's. I get over 2700 fps from my 24" bbl. You should be able to get that 2550 fps from a 20" bbl and a 185 gr bullet if you carefully work up your load. The stock Remington chamber is pretty "pressure friendly" with it's extra long freebore and throat. Load your bullets as long as will feed from the magazine and work up slowly. Alliant data is limited for each bullet as they only publish one charge weight per bullet. They show a load over 4 gr for a 175 gr bullet but for the Juggernaut I'd start down around 44 gr and work up in .4 gr increments.

The 2000-MR is a ball type powder that meters well but as it's a double-based powder (Nitrocellulose and Nitroglycerin) it's not as hard to "light" as the old single based ball powders like Winchester loves. Make sure your cases are not sized too much where the shoulder is too far away from the end of the chamber so you can get accurate pressure readings. Only .002" less than a fired case from case head to the datum point on the shoulder. Use a case gauge or case headspace gauge (like Hornady or Sinclair) to help set sizing die correctly.
    TheCameraMan79 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCameraMan79 View Post
    Thanks for the reply RK. Yes it's in 308 and it's a 1:10 twist. No it's called Mifflin County Sportsman Club. I haven't been there yet but I'm sure there will be plenty of guys with more appropriate guns for that range but I know there are guys on here going to 1k or further with 308 just wanted to see if I can get a head start to find out if I need to go heavier then 168 SMK at 1k. I've got a ton to learn so don't want to get frustrated if 168 SMK really can't get pushed that far if there are better rounds I should be looking into since they aren't a VLD type bullet?

Fred~
    Fred. I just joined the same range bro. Waiting for my membership card. Hopefully will adventure there soon as well. I will be shooting the same gun too. Hopefully I am able to hit some steel. :0)

Nice! I convinced a couple of my buddies to join (not that it took them any real convincing lol). I like the place a lot so far but only have been once. Definitely bring your own steel if you have it and a 4 wheel drive vehicle. They have a few plates out there but you get what you get basically. They aren't anything fancy.
    Quote Originally Posted by AverageJo View Post
    Fred. I just joined the same range bro. Waiting for my membership card. Hopefully will adventure there soon as well. I will be shooting the same gun too. Hopefully I am able to hit some steel. :0)

4. Remove Advertisements
    700Rifle.com
    Advertisements

Has anyone tried these? 175 gr Rebated Boat Tail - Alco Precision BulletsAlco Precision Bullets
    The BC on these rounds are insane.

Quote Originally Posted by rider01 View Post
    Has anyone tried these? 175 gr Rebated Boat Tail - Alco Precision BulletsAlco Precision Bullets
    The BC on these rounds are insane.
    Not only is the BC insane, so is the price. Essentially these are copies of the Lapua D-46 that was a hit for many years only with an aluminum tip. I think I'll stick with my "not so insane" Hornady ELD-M's for less than half the price of these.

Pretty bullets are nice but not necessarily necessary to win matches.

Pushing my SPS out to 1K yards

Guys. Saturday I visited the mifflin county range and shot my first time ever long range. It was awesome!!! I started with 900 yds although I had more misses then hits I was very happy. Then I moved to 1000 yds and had about about 6 hits out of 20 shots. The target was 13" circle plate. That made me very happy as well. After that I tried 1050 yds and just could not reach it. Went back to 1000 and couple of hits after that, I cranked my scope back to 900 and had couple of hits there again. In the end, I was very happy. My lovely wife was my spotter but you can see the splatter in your own scope as well. I was shooting 168 gr Amax with about 44.5 gr of reloader 15. Was using the rem 700 308 AAC-SD. I will try to adventure there monthly. And here is the pic of my setup.

Last edited by AverageJo; 02-20-2017 at 08:29 AM.
    TheCameraMan79 likes this.

Guys. Saturday I visited the mifflin county range and shot my first time ever long range. It was awesome!!! I started with 900 yds although I had more misses then hits I was very happy. Then I moved to 1000 yds and had about about 6 hits out of 20 shots. The target was 13" circle plate. That made me very happy as well. After that I tried 1050 yds and just could not reach it. Went back to 1000 and couple of hits after that, I cranked my scope back to 900 and had couple of hits there again. In the end, I was very happy. My lovely wife was my spotter but you can see the splatter in your own scope as well. I was shooting 168 gr Amax with about 44.5 gr of reloader 15. Was using the rem 700 308 AAC-SD. I will try to adventure there monthly. And here is the pic of my setup.

At the distances you shot at you might see more hits if you go up to the 175 gr bullets. While a 168gr bullet can reach out that far, it carries less inertia, has a lower BC than most 175gr bullets, and could be approaching transonic speeds. If you have chronographed your loads and used a Trajectory Calculator like the free online one at JBMballistics.com, make sure you have a bullet/speed combination that will stay ABOVE Mach 1.2. Just staying above Mach 1 is not enough as there is a point where the bullet goes transonic (transitioning to subsonic) and this is where the buffeting occurs. It's not a sharp cutoff speed (like the speed of sound), it's a "zone" starting at Mach 1.2 and continuing on to about Mach .8- Mach .9. Bullets that do well in .308 rifles are the 175 SMK's, 178gr A-Max, the newer 178grHornady ELD-M, Berger VLD's in the same weight and the 185gr Berger Juggernaut.

These bullets all have high BC's and enough weight to fight off wind easier than the lighter bullets. If you do keep shooting the 168's load them as fast as possible without creating pressure problems. You're currently below the published data for RL--15 (by the Manufacturer) and with careful load workup, following pressure signs, you can go beyond as it will be YOUR rifle that will determine the limits.

Pushing my SPS out to 1K yards

Deadshot as always thank you sir. Will be trying your suggestions for the heavier bullet. I just can't believe I was shooting this far and hitting something . I mean you could not even see the target without the scope. It was good time.

And I also need to get a sandbag as I had to use my fist to support under the stock.

How do you think the 223 will do at that range. Next time I want to try it at 1000 yds.
    Last edited by AverageJo; 02-20-2017 at 09:36 AM.

Deadshot as always thank you sir. Will be trying your suggestions for the heavier bullet. I just can't believe I was shooting this far and hitting something . I mean you could not even see the target without the scope. It was good time.

And I also need to get a sandbag as I had to use my fist to support under the stock.

How do you think the 223 will do at that range. Next time I want to try it at 1000 yds.
    If you want to shoot .223 that far you best be shooting an 80 gr or more bullet. Even then, even a prairie dog fart will cause a lot of deflection in the flight path of the bullet. Some guys do but let's just say "it ain't easy". Making hits IS fun. Taking a whole bunch of shots in order to get a hit is frustrating.

As for steady rests, remember that .001" of movement at the muzzle translates to an entire inch at 1,000 yards. Chances are your "fist" is allowing a lot more movement than .001".

Good job on making the hits you did. Now just tighten your game and make more.

That's the range I became a member of and went for the first time. I had heard the 168 SMK were designed to do well to 600ish but a heavier bullet like the 175 or heavier would help out to 1k. I went with the 185 Berger Juggernauts. Still probably did about 3/4 out of 10 on the 10" plate at 1k. My weakest link is reading wind (and not having a spotter) since it was the first time past 200 but it was a lot of fun. Definitely a nice range.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast