Pushing my SPS out to 1K yards - Page 3
Join Today
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Pushing my SPS out to 1K yards

Quote Originally Posted by TheCameraMan79 View Post
    That's the range I became a member of and went for the first time. I had heard the 168 SMK were designed to do well to 600ish but a heavier bullet like the 175 or heavier would help out to 1k. I went with the 185 Berger Juggernauts. Still probably did about 3/4 out of 10 on the 10" plate at 1k. My weakest link is reading wind (and not having a spotter) since it was the first time past 200 but it was a lot of fun. Definitely a nice range.
    At long range the wind will be the most difficult part. Not having a spotter makes it hard as well. It's one thing to shoot at shorter ranges where you can often get an idea of what the wind is doing by reading the tree's, bushes, grass, maybe even some surveyors tape on target stands or stakes added by the shooter.

When you go out to 1K (or more) your bullet is so high in the air when it reaches it's highest point of it's trajectory it's almost impossible to read the wind and you need a spotter to give you the instant feedback so you can adjust your fire. Unless the range has a couple "flagpole" wind flags in short "it's a bitch". The fact you are hitting 75% without a spotter is a nice accomplishment. Good work.
    TheCameraMan79 likes this.

Haha I meant 3/4 hits out of 10 shots (30-40%) on a 1 moa target. I still felt that was halfway decent considering my experience but definitely not going to break any records, lol. I plan on taking the 700, my M99 and the new RPR in 6.5 next time I go in a few months so hopefully I have some better luck with my spotter.

Well I do need a sandbag or maybe a monopod. I am thinking monopod.

4. Remove Advertisements
    700Rifle.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by AverageJo View Post
    Well I do need a sandbag or maybe a monopod. I am thinking monopod.
    Monopod's are not as steady as one might think. They take a lot of getting used to before you can work the horizontal spread out of your groups. Great to eliminate vertical as they're an absolute rear reference.

I find that they require a "hard hold" and you have to have your shoulder positioned just right or a 5 shot group can end up looking like a 'Beetle Parade" from left to right on your target (or the other way if you wish)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123