CDL Feeding Problems
Join Today
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Deadshot2

Thread: CDL Feeding Problems

CDL Feeding Problems

I recently bought a lightly used Remington 700 CDL in 7mm-08 from a friend of a friend. It is beautiful with almost no signs of use and my first day at the range, I had it zero'd in no time. It shoots really well. But what it doesn't do well is feed rounds out of the magazine; I had all kinds of problems. By the end of the day I was just loading rounds into the chamber one at a time. I have been reading about this and researching the rifle and I am beginning to think I am missing a part. If I refer to the parts manual, there is a magazine, part number 30, Magazine, that I do not have in my rifle, mine is just wood inside. I wonder if this part is missing and the magazine well is too wide and loose and that is why the follower seems to be catching at the receiver. Here is what mine looks like; the view from below looking up into the magazine well. Notice the wood on the sides, not a metal magazine well. And the empty screw holes have me curious as well.
    IMG_20160828_203129.jpg
    This video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oezOD7GUZlU does a great job of talking about the type of feeding problem I'm experiencing and he does have this magazine part inside his rifle. But then again, he has a synthetic stock and I'm wondering if the wooden stock models do not have this part. Any help is appreciated.

It frustrates me because in buying this rifle, I was trying to step up in quality from my Savage 11 and its cheap feeling stock and magazine. But that rifle feeds rounds flawlessly and also shoots well.
    Last edited by scott2398; 08-28-2016 at 08:24 PM.

you are missing the whole magazine and floor plate. I bought the assembly at brownells

Well, I do have the floorplate, spring and follower, they are just out of the way for the picture. I am just wondering if the magazine is supposed to be in this model. Seems like I'm missing the box part that is pictured here.
    444802_01_remington_700_floor_plate_trig_640.jpg
    Last edited by scott2398; 08-28-2016 at 08:52 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    700Rifle.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by scott2398 View Post
    Well, I do have the floorplate, spring and follower, they are just out of the way for the picture. I am just wondering if the magazine is supposed to be in this model. Seems like I'm missing the box part that is pictured here.
    444802_01_remington_700_floor_plate_trig_640.jpg
    Yep, you are missing the box! The rounds will not feed correctly without it. The SPS and the wood both have a mag box. the box narrows at the top, like feed lips. Gotta have it.
    I hate political correctness

Damn! Thanks for confirming that I am missing it. I'm going to get in touch with that guy and see if he took the rifle apart or perhaps this was missing from the factory. Either way, if I'm looking at the right part at Brownell's, they don't look very expensive.

It should fit it. I just wonder if the stock was changed and the original didn't fit the new stock? Someone was lazy? Who knows. But you have to have it. The box is where the feed lips are.

Quote Originally Posted by 1911ly View Post
    It should fit it. I just wonder if the stock was changed and the original didn't fit the new stock? Someone was lazy? Who knows. But you have to have it. The box is where the feed lips are.

Either lazy or frutrated and didn't understand the importance of the "box". They can be a bugger to get properly aligned sometimes so the bottom metal will fit properly. I find the best way (for me) is to install the box in the bottom metal's recess and THEN insert it into the stock with the action in place. With one rifle I threatened to J-B Weld the box in place on the bottom metal so it was a complete "part" and there would be less futzing around. Then I solved the issue by installing a DBM

No, the part isn't expensive, just make sure you have the correct one for the length of the action.
    Scorpion8 and 1911ly like this.