Scope base with 3-9x40mm scope?
Join Today

Scope base with 3-9x40mm scope?

Hi everyone,

I got me a Remington 700 ADL Varmint with the idea of starting in the "long range shooting" sport, I also got me a Leupold Mark AR 3-9x40mm with Mil-dot reticle and mil adjustment (it was a very good deal). My questions are:
    1. How far can I shoot with a Leupold Mark AR 3-9x40mm? I would think it would be good for something up to 600 yards, but I'm looking for more information.
    2. Do I need a scope base/rail with any MOA or a flat base/rail will work?

Since I am just starting I am aware that I'll probably spend a lot of time shooting 25-50 yards before I could do any good further than that, so I need something that also works in this range.

Thanks
    Ed
    Remington 700 .308 ADL Varmint
    Leupold Mark AR 3x9 40 Mil Dot

3x9 is a little on the light side for 600 yards. I would not use less than 24X and prefer a setting of 36 for 600 yards on my 42 or 55 power Nightforce Scopes.

For a .308, I think you will need a rail with some elevation built in. If you are also going to try shooting at 25-50 yards, that will be you next challenge with the rail that has elevation. There are plenty of free ballistics calculators on the iPhone App list or on the web using JBM. You will be surprised at how much hold over you will need for 600 yards sighted in at 50.

One option is a set of Burris Signature Z rings. They can be bought with a set of inserts that allow a lot of flexibility in how much MOA hold over will be built in. They also eliminate ring marks on your scope.

Make sure they are high enough for your barrel contour so that you can tilt the scope down to get the barrel up and lob your bullets in at 600.

On my 40X in 6mmBR Norma, I have one scope sighted in for 200 yards and shoot 100 with Hold Under and 300 with Hold Over and then a second scope with a set of 25 MOA Kelbly Rings, that I switch when I want to shoot it at 800 yards, which it is set for and hold under for 600 and hold over for 1,000.

A compromise is not always the best, but it depends on what your end game is.

Even with holding over 38 MOA I have shot groups under 8 inches at 1,000, but under 6 inches with the correct scope set up on the rifle and under 4.5 inches with the correct scope sighted in at 1,000 so for me at least, it does make a difference.

Bob
    Robert Kittine
    Sag Harbor and Manhattan, New York

You can use the scope you have for 600 no problem. Will a fancy high power scope work better, heck yes but yours will work fine until you want to upgrade. First time shooting at a 1000 I got a 9.5 inch group with a 16 power scope so it can be done. You have 56 moa you can dial up in your scope, not all of which you will be able to use depending on what you use for a base. As far as your shooting up close, I don't see why you would unless you are restricted to that range. You can mount your scope with some cheap bases and sight it in for whatever distance you like, then see how much usable elevation you have left to go up. If you don't have much put on a 15 or 20 moa base.
    Remington 700 7mm rem mag
    Bell & Carlson stock/ bedded
    Benchmark 26" heavy barell/ black cerakote
    Timney Calvin Elite
    Nightforce nxs 5.5-22x56