Soon to be owner with questions.
Join Today
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Night
  • 2 Post By Scorpion8
  • 1 Post By Deadshot2
  • 1 Post By Model700
  • 1 Post By 1911ly

Thread: Soon to be owner with questions.

Soon to be owner with questions.

Hey guys,
    So I've never owned a rifle (I have a lot to learn) and I'm thinking the Remington 700 would be a good choice for my first, I think I'm going to get the Hogue over mold stock, the rifle I'm leaning towards is the 700 SPS Vermint 26" barrel but I don't know which Hogue stock would be the correct choice for this rifle (I'm looking on Amazon and there's several) also, is the bed block worth the extra cost? Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks!
    Model700 likes this.

If it is your very first rifle as you indicate, I would buy a stock rifle (no pun intended) off the shelf and hunt with it awhile until you learn exactly what you want, and more so exactly what you "need". There are a lot of options as far as stocks go, and there are things that you need. How they fit you is more important than the bells and whistles. That's my $0.02, altho' I may owe change back.....
    Model700 and 1911ly like this.
    NRA Life; NAHC Life; Ret USN
    Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory......... lasts forever.

That would make for a excellent choice for a first rifle. The factory stock is absolutely terrible. It gives away any accuracy the rifle has. I think you can buy it new for 15.00 so that's a indication of quality. Yes bedding block would be worth the extra in anything your looking to replace it with.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    700Rifle.com
    Advertisements

Both answers have some validity as far as my 2 cents. What is your intended use for the rifle? Caliber? I spent a lot of money on purchases of things that I THOUGHT I wanted, THOUGHT I needed or just THOUGHT would be Cool to find out that I had jumped the gun (every pun intended). I have one Varmint model with the VLS Stock, which I find is much better then some of the factory stocks. It is a Rutland Stock. Same for my SS Thumbehole model (both have pillar bedding blocks), but they both were more pricey variants of the 700. Being your first rifle, I would get one, shoot it and then decide after meeting other shooters, what you want to purchase for it. Better yet, get to a range, meet some rifle shooters and I bet you will get to shoot a few rifles first.

Bob
    Last edited by rkittine; 09-23-2016 at 03:15 PM.
    Robert Kittine
    Sag Harbor and Manhattan, New York

Another good "first rifle" is a Remington 700 SS 5-R Milspec. It's a little more pricey than others in the Remington entry level rifle lineup but if you're considering the purchase of a new stock right off the bat, it's probably a bargain.

The 5-R's have stainless steel actions and stainless barrels. The bolts are trued and fit the action a lot better than others like let's say the SPS-Tacticals. No rust and if you don't like silver, Duracoat or Cerakote (both of which you can apply yourself) turn them just about any color you want. The stock is the big improvement on the 5-R's. They're H-S Precision Varmint style and include the aluminum action block. Is it worth it. To me it is and I won't buy a stock that doesn't have one with the exception of an all aluminum chassis system.

Price on a 5-R runs from $1,000 to $1200, depending, but it's a rifle you can go out and shoot ACCURATELY right out of the box. Just add good ammo like Federal Gold Medal Match.

I bought one of these when I wanted a new bolt action and for my money there isn't a better "Factory" rifle although I hate the trigger. That said the new ones are supposed to be a lot better than the pieces of crap that came on them originally. Mine got replaced with a Timney and accuracy improved even more over the already good .5 MOA out of the box.
    1911ly likes this.

JMHO.........buy it, shoot it, learn a bit more, then decide, don't get in over your head from day one.
    1911ly likes this.

If this is your very first rifle you might consider taking a different approach and pick up something cheaper to shoot until you get more proficient. But you'll still need a 700, Everyone needs at least one!
    Scorpion8 likes this.
    I hate political correctness

Thank you everyone for the responses! Very helpful. You guys are probably right about taking things slow and deciding what I want to do after I've played with it a bit, I've just been reading that the stock stock (is that right?) is terrible and the Hogue is much better and isn't terribly expensive, so I figured it would be a good option. I've been looking at the 308 caliber by the way. I'll check out the R-5 as well, thanks again for the input.
    Last edited by Night; 09-23-2016 at 03:00 AM.

I do not like the Hogue stocks, but I am a bench rest shooter. If you are hunting it may be a good option for grip. But you can not bed your action in a Hogue stock. I guess a lot depends on what you are going to do with the rifle. You might check Boyds stocks out. They are a vendor on here. I have the Varnmit on my 30-06 I also have a few rifles with the Web and Bell stocks. A bit pricey, but a damned nice rifle stock. There are a lot of good stock manufactures out there to choose from. What are you going to use this rifle for? Decide from there.

You can spend anywhere from a hundred or so bucks up to a few grand. I just bought a Web and Bell for around 400 bucks shipped for a .223 and I could not be happier with it. I will be honest and fess up to looking at the AICS chassis and will be most likely ponying up for one of those shortly for my custom 300wm I just had build.
    I hate political correctness

Like Deadshot2 wrote the 5r is good to go right out of the box,if you buy a entry level rifle and it doesn't perform like you want it to by the time your done upgrading it you will have the same, or more invested in it than the 5r.The only thing I've done to my 5r is a timney trigger, after I'd had it for 4yrs,yes they shoot that good.It's up to you if you want to play around a while or go good right away.