barrel swap price?
Join Today
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Deadshot2

Thread: barrel swap price?

barrel swap price?

anyone give me an idea of what it would cost to swap out a barrel on a Remington 700 ?? looking to find a low price 700 and have a gunsmith put on a higher quality barrel for long range shooting. ive heard the barrel swap on a 700 is pretty involved and only to be done by a good gunsmith but like to know some idea what would cost for the labor

hope this post in the right section

When you do the barrel swap you might as well look in to having the action trued at the same time. Depending on the barrel and the action I'd say 650 and up. Pick a shop with a great rep.

I ended up going with a high end build, Bartlien barrel, custom made bolt, muzzle break, bolt release and the list goes on and spend some $$ and could not be happier!
    I hate political correctness

Quote Originally Posted by blacdog06 View Post
    anyone give me an idea of what it would cost to swap out a barrel on a Remington 700 ?? looking to find a low price 700 and have a gunsmith put on a higher quality barrel for long range shooting.

(
    I suggest you take out a clean sheet of paper and write down the following items, then add prices for each line.

Low Price Remington like SPS Tactical in caliber you want to end up with
    Replacement Stock
    Replacement Trigger
    Replacement Barrel
    True Action
    Chamber and install barrel, including headspace.

The SPS Tactical will run in the neigborhood of $600+
    Replacement Stock $250 - $900, depending on whether it's a Magpul Hunter or a Chassis.
    Trigger (Timney) $125 to $225
    True action, supply barrel, chamber, install, usually runs around $800 or thereabouts. If you want to break out labor, figure $85 per hour with the basic barrel $350-$400.

Here's a suggestion. Start with not a low end Remington but a Trued Action from PTG. It's a Remington action only that you can buy without a trigger. The action itself is trued and includes a PTG One Piece Bolt with M-16 style extractor. Cost $550-$650.

Send it to a Barrel Maker like Benchmark and have them install a new barrel on the trued action. Cost will be about $700 for the barrel. Depending on your budget install it on a good stock like a Bell and Carlson #2094 which has a more vertical grip, adjustable cheek piece (comb), and adjustable Length of Pull/Cant. Look for deals online at places like "Stocky's.com". Price $400-$500. Then top it off with a Timney "Calvin Elite" triggger.

Why go this route? You'll have a well built rifle capable of shooting long range as soon as you assemble it and work up a load (or buy some match grade ammo), without a leftover stock, trigger, bolt, that will take up room in your closet or garage.

In the end you'll end up spending about the same, perhaps a little less, but won't be compromising as you will when starting with a "low end Remington". Trust me, the rifle I just described building will make you smile wide enough to eat a banana sideways. (Once you put a good scope on it but that's a whole different story. Buy the best you can afford after building the rifle I described )
    1911ly and fmaglin like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    700Rifle.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Deadshot2 View Post
    I suggest you take out a clean sheet of paper and write down the following items, then add prices for each line.

Low Price Remington like SPS Tactical in caliber you want to end up with
    Replacement Stock
    Replacement Trigger
    Replacement Barrel
    True Action
    Chamber and install barrel, including headspace.

The SPS Tactical will run in the neigborhood of $600+
    Replacement Stock $250 - $900, depending on whether it's a Magpul Hunter or a Chassis.
    Trigger (Timney) $125 to $225
    True action, supply barrel, chamber, install, usually runs around $800 or thereabouts. If you want to break out labor, figure $85 per hour with the basic barrel $350-$400.

Here's a suggestion. Start with not a low end Remington but a Trued Action from PTG. It's a Remington action only that you can buy without a trigger. The action itself is trued and includes a PTG One Piece Bolt with M-16 style extractor. Cost $550-$650.

Send it to a Barrel Maker like Benchmark and have them install a new barrel on the trued action. Cost will be about $700 for the barrel. Depending on your budget install it on a good stock like a Bell and Carlson #2094 which has a more vertical grip, adjustable cheek piece (comb), and adjustable Length of Pull/Cant. Look for deals online at places like "Stocky's.com". Price $400-$500. Then top it off with a Timney "Calvin Elite" triggger.

Why go this route? You'll have a well built rifle capable of shooting long range as soon as you assemble it and work up a load (or buy some match grade ammo), without a leftover stock, trigger, bolt, that will take up room in your closet or garage.

In the end you'll end up spending about the same, perhaps a little less, but won't be compromising as you will when starting with a "low end Remington". Trust me, the rifle I just described building will make you smile wide enough to eat a banana sideways. (Once you put a good scope on it but that's a whole different story. Buy the best you can afford after building the rifle I described )
    This!!
    I hate political correctness

I agree with DSII to a point, though when spending that much money, I have gone the Custom Action route for just a few hundred dollars more and the difference is more than most people think. What type of Long Range Shooting are you planning on doing? Long range hunting, paper punching, Metal Targets, F Class, Tactical, Benchrest? Each has some different requirements though also a lot of similarities. Once you decide you can be more selective on the trigger you want, the overall weight, the stock style, the barrel contour etc. And, when you are barreling, you will now be able to pick a number of other specifications, like, Cut or Buttoned, Twist rate, bore diameter and rifling cut depth, number of lands and groves, neck thickness, free bore etc.

If you do go the "Buy an Inexpensive 700" you might want to try shooting it for a while and see how well the rifle performs as is with some simple tweaking like reloads, bedding the action and floating the barrel etc.

Bob
    Last edited by rkittine; 12-03-2016 at 06:56 AM.
    Robert Kittine
    Sag Harbor and Manhattan, New York