opinions needed, upgrade old or sell and build new. - Page 2
Join Today
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by rkittine View Post
    Yes, The small primer hole allows for higher pressures, though some have found ignition issues. I have not had a problem with ignition in any of my Lapua rounds with the small rifle primers. I can run my 6.5x47L over 3,000 FPS, but my best 1,000 yard accuracy is in the 2900 range.

Bob
    I've read some accounts where those who've reformed Lapua .308 Palma brass into 6.5 Creedmoor have safely shot it for 40 reloads and more.

If nothing else, it will give me something to do while waiting for Spring to arrive. Yesterday after noon was "Short Sleeves, Cat laying upside down on my deck in the Sun, Tulips starting to come up" warm. This AM it was down to 27 degrees. At least it's not snowing or raining.

We had the same thing last week. 63 degrees one day, high 20s the next with 10" of snow.

Currently the only brass I use is Lapua. Lapua makes brass for all my calibers or brass that I can resize (6PPC and 30BR)

Bob
    Robert Kittine
    Sag Harbor and Manhattan, New York

Quote Originally Posted by rkittine View Post
    We had the same thing last week. 63 degrees one day, high 20s the next with 10" of snow.

Currently the only brass I use is Lapua. Lapua makes brass for all my calibers or brass that I can resize (6PPC and 30BR)

Bob
    I just formed a couple cases into 6.5 Creedmoor from .308 Norma Brass. First attempt sucked. Second came out near perfect. All I need to do now is get my hands on a turning mandrel with the "donut reamer" on the end. Looks like I can form a whopping 6 cases per hour. Who knows, by the time I get a box (50) cases done, Lapua will have their new 65 Creedmoor brass on the shelf.

4. Remove Advertisements
    700Rifle.com
    Advertisements

That is much faster than I prep brass without even reforming it.

Bob
    Robert Kittine

Smile

So now that we stole your thread 62Flint - Are you going to rebarrel your rifle? And chamber it in what caliber? Then we can move on to twists, free bore, neck diameter etc. ! Bob
    Robert Kittine

I apologize for making this the "Bob and Mike Show".

If you are considering rebarreling, why not also consider a change in caliber. I have a .308 that I love but I have also acquired a "mistress". A 6.5 Creedmoor and am in a pickle. Which do I love more?

Changing to the 6.5 Creedmoor (or .260 or 6.5X47 Lapua) is almost a natural. If you are hand loading and have a lot of brass you can reform it into your new caliber. A little extra work but no waste.

The .308 is great for just about any range out to 1K. The 6.5's gain the advantage when you shoot beyond.

Just a little more to make the decision more difficult

Well, I would consider another rifle possibly in 6.5 creedmore .. But I am going to keep a 308. I have about 300 pieces of unfired Lapua brass, and a 1000 or two 168 and 175 smk bullets not to mention berger hornady etc... My point is I have two much 308 stuf to change.
    I think I am going to rebarrel it and get the action trued/blue printed. What about the bolt? Be a good time to put a new bolt in also. Like a ptg bolt. Is it worth it? Does the fluting do any thing besides look cool? Whats the difference between the benchrest firing pin and standard. pros and cons?
    What barrel profile should I go with? I probably get it fluted for heat. I really like to keep the set up around or under 15 pounds.

oh and twist, shooting 168 or 175 bullets, what would be good.
    I keep seeing the 11.25 twist

I am using a 1:12 twist Krieger barrel on my .308 with 155 and 168s and the occasional 175. For a Benchrest shooter, fluting the bolt reduces weight. When you have to make a weight limit, sometimes every ounce counts. I don't like to flute barrels as I am never sure what kind of harmonics it will set up. On the bench, I have a fan on my barrel. If you want to stay at 15 pounds or less, it will depend a lot on the scope you put on it. The 15x55 Night Force Competition is lighter than the 12x42 Bencrest, but over $1,000 more. On the otherhadn a T36 Sightron II Fixed power is 17 ounces compared to variables at up to 26 or more ounces. Also the length of the barrel will make a difference for sure in both weight and balance is you are using it for anything other than supported shooting, bench, bipod etc. So you might want to consider a Palma Contour if you want a nice long 29" finish length to push up speed, or a Light Varmint Contour cut to 27 or 28 inches.

Keep in mind with a quality barrel and enough length you can always set it back and repchamber if you wear the throat or want to change to another .30 caliber cartridge.

Bob
    Robert Kittine

My goal for a rifle is to have a accurate as can 308 that is not to heavy to carry some. I will mostly just be shooting paper and steel behind my house , with a few varmits thrown in the mix. I enertain the thought of using it in a long range match but do to travel distances to any matches for me I do not anticipate shooting many.
    I have 2 scopes for it. a 3.5-15 nightforce nxs and a 5.5-22 nightforce nxs

How about the new bolts?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast