opinions needed, upgrade old or sell and build new.
Join Today
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

opinions needed, upgrade old or sell and build new.

I currently have a rem700 aac-sd 20-inch threaded barrel. Sitting in a mcree chassis with folding stock and the mlev with a timney Calvin elite trigger. It will shoot .5 moa with my hand loads pretty consistent. I would like it to be a little better. kinda thinking I might like a more traditional stock with a detachable mag.

So here is my delima. Get the action trued, blueprinted and rebarrled. Or buy a new rm700 5r threaded and put new bottom metal in it. Or just get a new custom rifle done? I would like better than .5 moa

If I sold my current rifle what would a fair price for it be? Have about 600 rounds through it.

Quote Originally Posted by 62flint View Post
    I currently have a rem700 aac-sd 20-inch threaded barrel. Sitting in a mcree chassis with folding stock and the mlev with a timney Calvin elite trigger. It will shoot .5 moa with my hand loads pretty consistent. I would like it to be a little better. kinda thinking I might like a more traditional stock with a detachable mag.

So here is my delima. Get the action trued, blueprinted and rebarrled. Or buy a new rm700 5r threaded and put new bottom metal in it. Or just get a new custom rifle done? I would like better than .5 moa

If I sold my current rifle what would a fair price for it be? Have about 600 rounds through it.
    Sounds like you have all the basics in place already. I'd consider a different barrel if you want sub .5 moa. When I look for a new barrel I don't even think of 20" bbl's for bug-hole accuracy at 200+ yardage. There's a pretty good reason that the average 30 caliber (or similar) is 24" long. It works. Yes, some can get accuracy from the "stubbies" but I'd rather have the full speed capabilities of the longer barrel, even a 30 cal with 26"-28" barrel. Also as heavy a profile as I care to haul around. My last two rifles were both 24", one with a varmit profile and the other with an MTU. The MTU in .223 shoots sub .25 MOA at 200-300 yards and the heavy varmint is still waiting to be machined at Benchmark.

Only reason to go back to a traditional stock with detach sling is if you want a hunting rifle to pack around the hills.

62, What are you going to shoot with this and at what distances? As Mike pointed out, for a hunting rig weight and carriability will be an issue as compared to a target rifle. Bob
    Robert Kittine
    Sag Harbor and Manhattan, New York

4. Remove Advertisements
    700Rifle.com
    Advertisements

shooting steel and paper, mostly 400-800 yards, ocasionally 1000 yards. Weight really isnt a issue. Just thinking I may like a traditional stock instead of the chasiss ,

Quote Originally Posted by 62flint View Post
    shooting steel and paper, mostly 400-800 yards, ocasionally 1000 yards. Weight really isnt a issue. Just thinking I may like a traditional stock instead of the chasiss ,
    I'm starting to "age" and don't like recoil as much as I used to.

For that reason got rid of my traditional stocks in favor of a nice "inline design" chassis, the MDT-TAC-21. All recoil is straight down the barrel axis like an AR-15 and is a lot easier on the old body than the wood/composite stocks that tended to rise up and hit me in the cheek. At 17 lbs with a heavy barrel, moderately heavy chassis, heavy scope, recoil is a non issue now. This is coming from someone who two years ago said "no way I'm going down the chassis route", yet here I am with two of them. I will say that there is no way I would get a lightweight chassis. I'll leave the "Operator Look" to the younger ones who could actually BE "Operators".

As a disclaimer, I see no issues with your considering a traditional stock. Each person should go with what they like.

I have a chassis system in .308 and also find the recoil acceptable, but my 17 pound 6.5x47L Bench Rest rifle is joy to shoot and more than adequate for steel and paper out to 1,000 yards. That is what I shoot in 1,000 yard bench rest competition. If you are going to rebarrel you can sure chamber in something else.

Bob
    Robert Kittine

Quote Originally Posted by rkittine View Post
    I have a chassis system in .308 and also find the recoil acceptable, but my 17 pound 6.5x47L Bench Rest rifle is joy to shoot and more than adequate for steel and paper out to 1,000 yards. That is what I shoot in 1,000 yard bench rest competition. If you are going to rebarrel you can sure chamber in something else.

Bob
    Around here that's a lightweight rifle. Most of the Old Farts go for "Cruisers" weighing 40-50#. The way they have them set up it's not a lot different than watching someone shooting a rail gun. The only thing they do with their shoulder is push the rifle back to the stop on their rest.

On the 6.5X47, I know it's a popular round but my choice would be the 6.5 Creedmoor and load using reformed .308 Palma brass (until Lapua starts supplying enough of their new small primer 6.5 CM brass. With the better quality Lapua brass and the small primer pocket, one should be able to send bullets downrange a lot faster than both the 6.5X46 and standard CM loadings.

I am 2 ounces under 17 pounds to qualify for Light 1000 Yard Bench Rest. Yes, light compared to many BR guns, but heavy compared to a hunting rifle.

I have heard a lot of good things about the 6.5 Creedmore but have never owned one. I like the 6.5x47L as I do not have to form cases and in a pinch Lapua makes loaded ammo, which I keep a stock pile of. Same for the 6BR though I do have a 6PPC. I use Lapua Palma Brass for my .308 so I can use small rifle primers.

Bob
    Robert Kittine

Quote Originally Posted by rkittine View Post
    I am 2 ounces under 17 pounds to qualify for Light 1000 Yard Bench Rest. Yes, light compared to many BR guns, but heavy compared to a hunting rifle.

I have heard a lot of good things about the 6.5 Creedmore but have never owned one. I like the 6.5x47L as I do not have to form cases and in a pinch Lapua makes loaded ammo, which I keep a stock pile of. Same for the 6BR though I do have a 6PPC. I use Lapua Palma Brass for my .308 so I can use small rifle primers.

Bob
    I'm getting impatient waiting for the Lapua 6.5 Creedmoor brass. I'm going to buy a box of .308 palma and resize into 6.5 Creedmoor. I want that small primer so I can move to the next level of performance in my CM. I want to go faster I figure that if the Palma shooters can run monster pressures in their .308's, why not in a Creedmoor. Should be interesting considering how the Creedmoor case is supposed to be optimized with it's shoulder angle, etc. Lapua claims better accuracy with the smaller primer alone and with more "meat" in the case head they should last a long time before I beat the primer pockets out.

Why? Why not?

Yes, The small primer hole allows for higher pressures, though some have found ignition issues. I have not had a problem with ignition in any of my Lapua rounds with the small rifle primers. I can run my 6.5x47L over 3,000 FPS, but my best 1,000 yard accuracy is in the 2900 range.

Bob
    Robert Kittine

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast