Curious Sps question
Join Today
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Deadshot2
  • 1 Post By Freefloat

Thread: Curious Sps question

Curious Sps question

Been looking to get a 300 blackout. The sps lists a twist of 1/7 which is what I want,however reading about the sps on line, people are complaining about accuracy with the sub sonics,and after slugging the barrels they say they are 1/10-1/12 twists because Remington was reaming the barrels that were onhand just to get the rifles out in the public. Has anyone else heard this or is it Internet haters BS.

See if you can find a Dealer that has one in stock and just look at barrel markings. You could also just call Remington for clarification.

As for "internet haters", There will always be those. Unlike manufacturers who advertise a product and can be held accountable for their claims, "Internet Haters" can just put out anything they want with no accountability.

As for "slugging" a barrel to determine twist rate, there's a much easier method. Wrap a patch around a bore brush so it fits the bore pretty snug. Pusj it into the bore from the chamber end until it's almost to the muzzle. Put a piece of tape on your cleaning rod at the open end of the action with a piece of tape forming a "flag" pounting straight up. Pull the cleaning rod out of the barrel, watching the tape "flag. When the "flag has completed one rotation and is pointing straight up again. measure the distance from the open end of the action. This travel in inches is your barrel's twist rate. For this to be reasonably accurate you have to make sure the patch is really snug in the bore but no so snug it get's stuck. I usually put a few drops of gun oil on it so it will move easier.

Slugging is merely driving a piece of lead (I use fishing sinkers) into the bore so you can measure depth of grooves and bore diameter.
    Scorpion8 likes this.

So I am by FAR an expert. I do however own the Remington 700 SPS in 308 and 300BLK. I have heard some people saying that SOME 300 BLK barrels that were marked 1:7 (they were all suppose to be 1:7) were actually 1:10. I'm guessing your concerned about running heavy subs out of it suppressed is why your asking since even if it was a 1:10 twist you would be fine with lighter bullets? Are you planning on hunting with it? If you're just ringing steel where this gun really shines is light 90/110 gr subs using trailboss and would highly recommend staying away from the heavy subs (unless hunting which I hear still isn't ideal).

I shoot subs exclusively out of mine but in the 110 variety and have no problem hitting steel at 200. I can't tell you what twist my barrel truly is but it is accurate enough with those rounds. Now if you're hunting using subsonics I can see where you want the heaviest rounds possible and where you would absolutely want the 1:7 twist but I'm sure the issue by now has been taken care of and any new guns coming off the line are 1:7.

4. Remove Advertisements
    700Rifle.com
    Advertisements

I was planing on shooting the heavys sub sonic,wasn't really planing on hunting with it. Yes that's what I was reading online barrels marked1/7 and where 1/10 or even 1/12,isn't 1/7 a little fast for 110gr or does shooting 110 gr subsonic work well in faster twists?

Quote Originally Posted by Freefloat View Post
    I was planing on shooting the heavys sub sonic,wasn't really planing on hunting with it. Yes that's what I was reading online barrels marked1/7 and where 1/10 or even 1/12,isn't 1/7 a little fast for 110gr or does shooting 110 gr subsonic work well in faster twists?

Best answer to your question is to visit the Stability Calculator at Berger Bullets or JBM Ballistics. Bullet stability is more a factor of length and speed than weight. Where weight comes into conversations is that logic says a heavier bullet is a longer bullet. Not always the case as some have longer bearing surfaces due to different type of ogive (secant vs tangent vs hybrid.

Using the calculator DS2 mentioned it is plenty stabilized. Basically all 300BLK barrels (there are always exceptions) are 1:7 or 1:8 twist and I've never heard anyone complain about too fast of twist rate for subs or supers. If you go on the 300 BLK forum there are a ton of guys shooting the 90gr xtp and 110 gr bullets loaded with trailboss subsonic out of there Ruger American rifles, H&R single shots and Remington 700's (all 1:7 twist I believe) which I own 2 of those 3.

Light Weight subsonic Single Shot Loads - 300BlkTalk

Bolt action specific subsonic loads. - 300BlkTalk

For supers in the same weight still accurate...

Remington 700 SPS 300BLK 1:7 twist accuracy with super-sonic loads? - 300BlkTalk

I shoot it at the 200 yards at a 10x8" plate (I know not the smallest of target) but typically the max range that most guys seem to shoot 300 blk subs at. I've shot standard heavy subs 208/220gr subs out of the same setup with 1680 powder and the sound difference is noticeable. not that the heavies were deafening but compared to the 110 gr with trailboss subs there is a huge difference.

Here's a quick video of just a couple shots but you can hear the action seems louder then the shot. I have an integral suppressed 10/22 and I feel that my 300BLK 700 is quieter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJh3...?v=MJh3YnemYlc

I can see if I can shoot the heavy subs in between the light subs and video it for you but it won't be any time soon.

All right ,great useful information thank you camera.I see your location is near Philly,you guys got one of our locals,Carson Wentz's quarterbacking the Eagles,your gonna like him.
    TheCameraMan79 likes this.