Is the Varmint Special supposed to be free floated?
Join Today

Is the Varmint Special supposed to be free floated?

Hi all,
    I just purchased a beautiful Remington 700 Varmint Special in .223.
    This is my first Remington. I haven't shot it yet but I did notice that the barrel isn't free floated. Is that how it's supposed to be?

Thanks for your input.

Welcome to the forum. Production guns from Remington are not going to have the barrel free floated from the factory. If you are not going to change stocks, Bed the Action, Float the barrel and change the trigger and you will be on your way to a very accurate rifle, especially if you hand load.

Where are you located? What type of shooting do you do? Name?

Cheers, Bob
    Robert Kittine
    Sag Harbor and Manhattan, New York

Thanks for the response.
    I live in Texas (profile updated). I shoot a lot of rimfire as well as some long-range shooting. I also compete occasionally in PRS matches. I do handload for my long-range gun (AIAT in 260). I also handload occasionally the .223 with the 75 gr ELDM where I get better ballistics at long range than a 308 with 175 Gr SMK.
    I’m not planning to handload for this Varmint Special. I’ve bought a few boxes of factory ammo in light weight varmint loads to accommodate the slow 1/12 twist rate of the rifle. I’m not planning to shoot this rifle a lot. When I was young and didn’t have a lot of money, my all-time favorite rifle was a Remington Varmint Special. Now I’ve bought it. It’s more a sentimental purchase. I’ll let the rifle as is and won’t bed and free float the stock.

4. Remove Advertisements
    700Rifle.com
    Advertisements

My dad used to live in Trophy Club so I know a little about the North Section of Dallas. I went to flight school in Dallas in the late 60s before DFW was built. Did some flying out of Arlington and Fort Worth. Still remember great nights at Joe T. Garcia's. More recently I have shot Skeet at Dallas Gun Club.

I have a stock, unmodified 700 VLS in .22-250 that shoots extremely well out of the box.

Bob
    Robert Kittine
    Sag Harbor and Manhattan, New York

I have a 700 varmint in 223 and it shot ok 1 1/2" at 100yds but I wasnt real happy with that so I put on a boyds thumbhole stock barrel floated and a timney trigger and can cover 5 shots with a dime at 100 yds. and thats with out bedding the action

Quote Originally Posted by kaveh View Post
    Hi all,
    I just purchased a beautiful Remington 700 Varmint Special in .223.
    This is my first Remington. I haven't shot it yet but I did notice that the barrel isn't free floated. Is that how it's supposed to be?

Thanks for your input.
    That's a nice rifle. Mine was bought from a La. State Trooper that just wanted to sell it. It's a 700BDL with a bull barrel and is Boringly accurate. The twist is 1:12 or 14 meaning lite bullets fly better. It did shoot 55gr ok but with a bit of tweaking and using 40 gr Hornady's it shot a .25caliber hole at 100yds, on a early summer day no wind, low humidity in Monroe La. Only witness was my son and he was 4 yrs old!. No fiddling with the rifle, just the round. Try it first and if you reload experiment. Above all be safe. That rifle is beautiful and it'd be a real shame to take it home in pieces