Remington 700 Rifle Forums banner

First 700 - Seeking advice on the correct sight

5K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  TTLongRifle 
#1 ·
Been lurking for a while and finally pulled the trigger on my first 700, it’s a .308 BDL manufactured in 1968. Got a really good deal and am excited to have my first bolt action rifle. Been into semi-autos to date. It is near mint. And the only thing it is missing is it’s rear sight. I want to purchase the right sight that is appropriate for this rifle’s manufacture date. My question for the community is if someone has a link or picture of the correct sight for this rifle?

Thanks, looking forward to being part of the forums!

#2 ·
I think during that era, the general consensus was that a bolt action hunting rifle did not need more than a 3-9 power scope. I personally disagree and think that something that goes up to at least 14 power is the way to go. You don't have to use all of the magnification, but it's nice to have if you want it. 4-16 is the smallest I own, with several going up to 20 to 24 power. YMMV

#3 ·
Welcome Classic700,

I think that rlandry6 mis-read your post. Many if not most of us 700 owners, usually buy rifles without sights and mount a scope. That being said, you might want to try to call Remington and if you can't get them or you can not get an answer, I would call Brownells. If they do not have a rear sight for your rifle, they most likely can direct you to someone who might have one.

Worst case, you can bore sight the barrel in a rifle rack and see where the bore is pointing and then determine the height you need for the rear sight in order to get the correct sight picture.

Hopefully someone on here may have a 68 vintage BDL. Which barrel contour is it?

Want to share you name and location?

Cheers, Bob

#4 ·
Thanks for the replies!

I’m in western PA, and a do plan to put a scope on the rifle eventually but want to start with irons. This is especially true as my son will be learning to shoot with this rifle. I just want the rifle true to how it was originally manufactured and then go from there.

#10 ·
I Own several 700's and 70's all have a scope on them and the lest powerful magnification is now 14. f
For the money, Primary markets a 4x14 acss that I really like. The reticle uses a chevron aiming point with ranging toolsall through the reticle and it's clear and bright. for around 230 to 270 it's worth a peek. My first 700 was a BDL in .223 with a Leupold 3x9 and a bull barrel with a 1:12 twist. It shoots 40 Gr Hornadys like crazy but now has the 4-14 on it. Wish I had bought it in .308 but that was for an AAC that I absolutely love. My third is a 700 SPS IN .300WM. I has a 6-20 x 50 Wotac (regrettably no longer in business)on it and built for that gun. I really packs a wallop but a Past pad really helps. Since that's a long range gun I felt justified in the cash out. When you shop look for the best you can afford. you wont regret it. Good luck.

#11 ·
Bench Rest shooters are constantly changing out high end optics. Not unusual for a scope for Bench Rest that costs as much or more than the custom rifle it will sit on top. There is then a lot of used scopes available from all of those changes.

Take a look on www.AccurateShooter.com from time to time and you might find yourself a really good deal on a used scope, many of which now a days come with lifetime warrantees.

Bob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.