Model 783 dimpled primers on bullets. fires primers on empty shells?
Join Today

Model 783 dimpled primers on bullets. fires primers on empty shells?

A customer brought me a 783 and told me he had the bolt replaced because of a broken handle. He sent it off and when it returned it would not fire a round most of the time. It would fire the primer on an empty shell but only once in a while on a full shell. He said an old gunsmith friend that used to work on them said he thought it was a head space issue. I was thinking more along the lines of a firing pin issue. I put head space gauges in and it closed on go and did not on no go. Am I looking in the wrong area? I plan to take the bolt apart tomorrow and clean and check for burr's. But if I find none, How would head space create a problem only on full shells and not on empty ones. I plan to test fire it tomorrow to verify the story but I have limited access to the range and don't want to waist time. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Lee

Factory ammo or reloads? What does the strike look like on the ones that do not go off and on the ones that do. Firing pin spring? Headspace would also have been the first place I would have looked too.

Bob
    Robert Kittine
    Sag Harbor and Manhattan, New York

I cleaned the bolt as best I could I have not figured out how to get the firing pin out of the bolt yet. I took it to the range and it shot 10 shells flawlessly. Then it started dimpling and not shooting the shells for the next three. I took the Bolt apart and blew it out with my mouth and put it back together. It shot the next two and then started dimples again. I’m shooting factory Winchester super X 150 grain bullets. The dimples are not quite as deep as the fired shells. And the click is almost a muffled sound. Like it didn’t strike hard enough. Does anyone know where I can get instructions for a complete disassembly of a 783 bolt. I tried you tube and google. My books don’t have this rifle in them. I will be getting another book ASAP.

4. Remove Advertisements
    700Rifle.com
    Advertisements

I got the bolt apart and the firing pin out. It had a lot of built up varnish around the back with a lot of sticky oil on it. I cleaned it good and put it back together. It shot 20 rounds of Hornady American Whitetale 180 grain bullets without a mishap. I think that has fixed the problem. I never found any instructions but after looking it over good it was pretty simple. Thanks for the help.