Barrel Code vs Serial number LH 700
Join Today

Barrel Code vs Serial number LH 700

I recently purchased, sight unseen, a pretty nice BDL that is a left handed model in .270. Upon its arrival, I noticed the barrel code was LC which should indicate Feb of 1982 or '05 but the serial number on the receiver is E 642xxxx. I called Remington and the customer service person looked it up and said the receiver is from '98. When I talked to the seller, he said he had another one that he bought new that has an E serial number with a barrel that is marked BD which would be from 83 or 06.
    Just am wondering if left handed model serials were marked differently or what the possibilities might be. I was thinking it is cobbled together gun until he told me about the one he bought new.
    Thanks for any response.
    Shiner

I bought a new 700 in 2000 with no markings whatsoever on the left side of the barrel.
    I was told they quit barrel markings 1999-2001 but started again.
    First letter is the month and second letter is the year on the left side of the barrel close to the receiver.

The barrel markings have never been consistent. Probably will be worse now since they shipped out the barrel making equipment from Ilion.

Bob
    Robert Kittine
    Sag Harbor and Manhattan, New York

4. Remove Advertisements
    700Rifle.com
    Advertisements

Maybe they just made up a bunch of stamped barrels for left handed guns back in the early 80s and installed them on receivers over the years as the demand for such rifles dictated.