'Jumping the gun"
Join Today
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By alpinecrick
  • 1 Post By butchrx

Thread: 'Jumping the gun"

'Jumping the gun"

I have a 700 VLS 22-250 with a 1996 mfgr. date that I bought off Gunbroker. Checking it with Remington's recall serial # base, It showed it to be one of the recalls. I submitted it on Remington's website and they sent me a box to mail it back. But, the more i thought about it, the more i became concerned by shipping damage, etc. The rifle is in excellent shape.
    So, I decided to go ahead and bite the bullet and order a Timney trigger. Upon receiving it, i took the stock off the rifle, and, good grief, it already has a Timney in it! Dumb move!
    Thankfully, the seller took it back and even paid for the return shipping.
    Moral of the story: Do your homework and don't assume anything!

Sounds like it worked out ok. That is the bottom line. Every 700 I have purchased, I purchased new and regardless of what trigger it came with, it got a new one. Depending on Caliber and used dictated, which trigger.

I have a 700 VLS in .22-250 and the only thing I don't like about it is that I would have prefered a faster twist for heavier projectiles. Its find for 50 grainers and under.

Bob
    Robert Kittine
    Sag Harbor and Manhattan, New York

I went the replacement route after I had the boxes
    "If we open a quarrel between the past and the present we shall find that we have lost the future.”
    Winston Churchill

4. Remove Advertisements
    700Rifle.com
    Advertisements

I never sent any of mine,put Timney’s in myself,don’t trust sending my weapons off too much shady crap going on.

Nothing wrong with the Walker style Remington triggers. Almost all "accidental discharges" attributed to the Walker trigger is a) it came in the most popular bolt action rifle sold in North America, b)somebody pulled the trigger and claimed they didn't, c) somebody decided to "tune" the trigger and didn't know how--don't mess with the sear engagement screw, d) the tigger is/was so filthy that it did indeed malfunction--just as any other mechanical device will.

I have bought a lot of older M700's. Have received rifles with Walker triggers that were tuned to the point a hard bounce of the butt on the floor would drop the firing pin. One of the most accurate factory M700's I own is a 1975 ADL that was in very nice condition. When I pulled the stock off it was apparent the stock had never been removed, and the entire trigger housing was caked in dirt, wood dust from the stock--literally an 1/8" thick. I couldn't even see any metal on the housing. The trigger had obviously never been cleaned of the shipping grease to begin with--it was an Accidental Discharge waiting to happen. Cleaned it up, loaded it with some 270 cal Partitions and it shot very well. Bedded it into a synthetic stock and it shoots 150 gr Partitions like some of my custom barreled M700's. And yes, I did tune the trigger--but the sear engagement stays at the factory set .015" engagement.
    Freefloat and GeoW like this.

Agreed,I have 3 700’s with the Walker triggers I’ve only adjusted weight,never below 3 1/2 lbs,leave the other adjustments alone, I’ve replaced all the x triggers ,they are crap.

Alpinecrick, As I commented earlier, I have owned about 50 700's, 1 721, 2 722's, 2 7's, and 1 40x with which I have never had a problem with the Walker triggers. So, I completely agree with you.
    GeoW likes this.

I can't say the same for the reliability of the Walker trigger. I had an early 70's model ADL in 25-06. I had this rifle accidently discharge twice when moving the safety to the off position. Once while unloading it and once while hunting.

Most issues that have come from the Walker Triggers are owners who like to fiddle too much. These triggers are not made to be lightened too much.

Bob
    Robert Kittine
    Sag Harbor and Manhattan, New York

Bobs right on don’t go below 3 1/2 lbs do the safety test and leave it alone. No troubles ,if it doesn’t pass the safety test at 3 1/2 lbs you got to increase it until it does,if it’s to high for you then replace it,3 1/2 lb trigger is ideal for a hunting rifle,but that’s just my opinion.