What do I need to check headspace? - Page 2
Join Today
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    It looks like it's a sps tactical barreled action. So a heavier barrel. I don't think I would mind hunting with it. I wish I knew what the twist was the barrel isn't stamped with it. Honestly I'm not sure if 308 is what I really want to work with but at the same time I wasn't sure about that with the 6.5 creedmoor that I had last year but sold. I was kinda planning on the rifle being a bit of a do all rifle and be able to use it in any situation if needed. It's a 20 inch barrel that is threaded, so my thoughts were it's a little longer than I wanted but it would still work and I could easily put a suppressor on it and use it to hunt and target shoot and whatever else I wanted to do with it.

Do you think it would be worth it to get a bolt and gauges and check or just get a bolt and send it off to worked on? Would I really need to get a new barrel for it?

Easy to determine the twist and that is probably the biggest issue when it comes to picking what projectiles to use.

Take a cleaning rod with a swivel handle. Put an oversized brush on the end or a brush with a patch over it so it is tight in the barrel. Insert the rod into the action until well in to the rifling. Mark the rod, push it in until the rod has turned one revolution and mark the rod again. Pull the rod out and measure the distance between the marks and you have xx:1 twist.

Bob
    Robert Kittine
    Sag Harbor and Manhattan, New York

It’s 1 in 12 twist but you can confirm as Bob described. Rem stamps twist on non SAAMI twist barrels. I have an SPS Tactical without the threaded barrel. I ran the question on the replacement bolt on a gunsmith section at Snipers Hide. Consensus is it about 50/50 with a Remington bolt and probably less with others. You would not need a new barrel but in adjusting headspace the recoil lug may be changed requiring barrel removal.

As for the rifle, mine is probably 1/2 MOA if I do my job with handloads. It may be better than I am. The big issue with Rem 308 is the chamber has a long freebore. If you reload and want to seat the bullet near the lands it is normally not possible. The up side is it shoots almost any factory ammo without pressure issues.

Unless you are really going after precision, by that I mean sub 1/2 MOA, or wanting to shoot bullets heavier than 180gr I would keep the barrel, assuming that you are happy with the 20 in barrel length.
    "If we open a quarrel between the past and the present we shall find that we have lost the future.”
    Winston Churchill

4. Remove Advertisements
    700Rifle.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by R700 Newbie View Post
    The rifle was brand new when i bought it. The place I got it from said remington sent it to them as a stripped barreled receiver.
    You need to check the headspace with the bolt you're planning on using. If the go, no-go gauges says it good than you are a go. If not, it's best if a gunsmith headspaces it. LRI should be able to check headspace and address it if headspace is not in spec.

I give a 50-50 chance headspace will be good to go.

Remington can and does send gun parts in any configuration an FFL wants if it's available.

Quote Originally Posted by R700 Newbie View Post
    It looks like it's a sps tactical barreled action. So a heavier barrel. I don't think I would mind hunting with it. I wish I knew what the twist was the barrel isn't stamped with it. Honestly I'm not sure if 308 is what I really want to work with but at the same time I wasn't sure about that with the 6.5 creedmoor that I had last year but sold. I was kinda planning on the rifle being a bit of a do all rifle and be able to use it in any situation if needed. It's a 20 inch barrel that is threaded, so my thoughts were it's a little longer than I wanted but it would still work and I could easily put a suppressor on it and use it to hunt and target shoot and whatever else I wanted to do with it.

Do you think it would be worth it to get a bolt and gauges and check or just get a bolt and send it off to worked on? Would I really need to get a new barrel for it?
    I would buy the bolt and have LRI headspace the action--save the money on buying headspace gauges.

Recent production of M700's have generally been quite accurate, but ANY rifle--custom bbl or not--always has a chance it won't shoot. You won't know until you try it out.......

As far as a 308 is concerned I'd have the gunsmith/LRI cut 2" off and make it a 22" bbl. In the case of a 308 any loss of velocity is minimal, if at all.

The 308 twist rate is 1-12 and is pretty standard across manufacturers, Remington included. Although the 5r bbl may be different.

20”-2”=22”? Now that’s new math!
    "If we open a quarrel between the past and the present we shall find that we have lost the future.”
    Winston Churchill

Well here's an update. Got a bolt, gauges and trigger. It passes the headspace. Closes on GO and doesn't close on NOGO. I have a TriggerTech primary on it. Now just to get a stock, base and rings. Thank y'all for helping with my questions about this.

Who supplied the bolt? Glad it worked out.
    Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Doom View Post
    Who supplied the bolt? Glad it worked out.
    I bought a factory bolt from PTG that's also where I got the gauges from.I'm glad it worked out too.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12