What do I need to check headspace?
Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What do I need to check headspace?

I picked up a stripped 700 barreled action in 308 the other day. Other than a bolt and headspace gauges, what all do I need to do to make sure it's good before I shoot it after I get the other parts needed to make it complete?

It might worth a little time to have a gunsmith look over the action, and bore of the barrel to make sure there are no defects, and that the bore is not shot out.

If the bolt didn’t come with the rifle then chances are you will need the new bolt/barrel headspaced by a gunsmith. You can also check the seriel number on the rifle and the bolt if it came with one. The bolt should have the last four numbers of the ser # stamped on it. It can be hard to find.
    "If we open a quarrel between the past and the present we shall find that we have lost the future.”
    Winston Churchill

4. Remove Advertisements
    700Rifle.com
    Advertisements

If you intend to shoot it a lot, having a headspace gauge will be an added advantage in future rebarreling also.
    Robert Kittine
    Sag Harbor and Manhattan, New York

The rifle was brand new when i bought it. The place I got it from said remington sent it to them as a stripped barreled receiver.

Should I just send it off to get trued by someone like LRI after I buy a bolt just to be sure that I'm good?

Quote Originally Posted by R700 Newbie View Post
    Should I just send it off to get trued by someone like LRI after I buy a bolt just to be sure that I'm good?
    To answer that question you need to determine what you expect from the rifle. I’m surprised Rem would send a barreled receiver to a FFL retailer, without a bolt. With the bankruptcy who knows but it’s still strange. No trigger either?
    "If we open a quarrel between the past and the present we shall find that we have lost the future.”
    Winston Churchill

No trigger bolt release bolt. Just barrel recoil lug and receiver. Truthfully I just want to shoot it and maybe hunt with it on occasion

It would be a 700 and in rifle. Shot suppressed and unsuppressed. I was looking at getting a bolt and headspace gauges just to make sure it was good before I used that bolt. Wasn't sure if that would be good enough or if I had to send it off. I figured this would be the place to ask all of this

Does the barrel fit the type of shooting you plan on doing? If its a heavy barrel do you want to hunt with it or would you prefer a sporter barrel. If you plan on long range target shooting you probably want a heavier barrel versus a sporter. What is the twist and does it stabilize the bullet you intend to shoot? Ultimately is 308 the caliber/cartridge you want to work with?

I can’t say what the likelihood of a different bolt giving you the correct headspace. From what I have read it seems unlikely the headspace will be correct. If you are faced with redoing the headspace then The incremental labor cost is low and the barrel cost is the major additional cost.
    Winston Churchill

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast