Early 700'sn lefty
Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Early 700'sn lefty

Early 700'sn lefty

[Does anybody know what year Remington started building 700's in left handed model's? I was watching USOG on YouTube yesterday, he had a lefty Remington 700 in 30-06 that was made in 1971. I would love to own a vintage 700 in lefty since I'm southpaw. The quality looked fantastic! No jeweled bolt, pressed design in the stock. The older the better. I have a vintage Remington 722 in 222 that was converted for a left handed shooter. The rifle is incredibly accurate with good ammo.
    I was just wandering if any of you Remington head's knew what year the lefty 700's came out? The photo has my 1953 Remington 722 in 222 lefty conversion and my 1990 700 bdl in 30-06. Have a good day gentleman!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by appleseed; 08-22-2020 at 09:02 AM.

I have a friend who retired from Remington as the Custom Shop Manager, but was there for over 50 years and retired aabout 15 years ago, so he might know. I will reach out to him and ask.

Bob
    appleseed likes this.
    Robert Kittine
    Sag Harbor and Manhattan, New York

Thank you sir! Greatly appreciated. It must have been late 60's or 70.

4. Remove Advertisements
    700Rifle.com
    Advertisements

Talked to Tim McCormack last night. Tim retired from Remington as the Custom Shop Manager after spending his entire adult life, high school graduate to retirement, at Remington. The 700 was first released in a Left Hand Version in 1973.

Bob
    appleseed likes this.
    Robert Kittine

Thank you very much rkittine. I sure would like to find a 1973 lefty 700 in 223 or 243. I'm sure they were probably in 30-06 270 or 7mm. I sure hope you enjoy your Maine lobster! Thank you for calling your buddy to find that info for me!
    Last edited by appleseed; 08-25-2020 at 06:50 AM.

DSC_8171.jpgMy shooter's.

We had a Lobster Fest again last night and it was wonderful.

Bob
    appleseed likes this.
    Robert Kittine

So it was worth the flight up here. Glade to hear you enjoyed the tasty crustacean's! This weekend I'll pick up a half dozen lobster's and some steamer clam's! Long Island still has the best clam's! My buddy over in Babylon always get's me a half bushel when I come down for a visit. Up her it's all about steamer's not hard clam's. Or quahog's as the local call them. Raw clam's freshly dug near the fire Island inlet is the way to go!
    Johnny

The Quahog's are great to cut up and make chowder from, but too big and tough for much else. We are Little Neck, Cherry Stone, Top Neck and Ipswitch (Piss Clams - Steamers) in the area as well as Peconic Pearl and Montauk Queen Oysters. My favorite Seafood Restaurant in New York City, The Aqua Grill unfortunately has closed it doors for good based on the loss of revenue from the Pandemic. They had 25 different types of oysters every night of the week.

I now have enough cooked lobster meat for plenty of Lobster Salad, Lobster Newburg, Lobster Omelets and Lobster Rolls to last for a long time and then I will just fly up again. $4.30 a pound compared to $12.95 t0 $19.95 a pound here makes it worth it and many of the lobsters sold here are local lobsters, though while returning to these waters are not as good as the lobsters from the cold water of Maine.

Although I attended The CIA, I have never been an exotic cook when it comes to lobsters. Just steam them and serve them, but my neighbor taught me a great way to serve them to guest that also keeps everyone including my furniture from getting all a mess. Head down steamed for 14 minutes. Let cool for 30 minutes. With a very sharp knife, cut across the base of the tail and down the body. With kitchen shears cut through the tail and back down the middle. You now have halved lobsters. Clean out the roe if there is any and precrack the knuckles and claws. Before service through shell down on the BBQ grill for a few minutes to heat and then serve. No liquid mess and easy to get at all the meat.

Bob
    Last edited by rkittine; 08-26-2020 at 08:09 AM.
    Robert Kittine

Lobster on the BBQ, what could be better! I only eat little neck's and top neck's raw. The cherrystone's and chowder clam's are for chowder's and soup's. I do make one hell of a lobster bisque! It is very rich with all the butter and cream. It not some thing I make frequently. It's fantastic on a cold winter's day with some fresh bread! When I was a teenager I worked as a stern man on a lobster boat for a summer. That was out of Wading River. The lobster's were not overly plentiful them. The Long Island sound was a great place for a kid to enjoy a summer and make a few buck's.
    Johnny

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast