700 twist rate for 6.5 Creedmoor
Join Today

700 twist rate for 6.5 Creedmoor

I'm late to the 6.5 party, what's Remington twist rate, 1-10 or 1-8 and is that standard on all models/barrel types?

1.8" is standard.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Although Remington usually is reasonably consistent. I always confirm the twist rates in my barrels. Easy enough to do with a cleaning rod that has a swivel handle and a tight patch. I love Berger 130 Hybrids in my 6.5 MM.

Bob
    Robert Kittine
    Sag Harbor and Manhattan, New York

4. Remove Advertisements
    700Rifle.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by rkittine View Post
    Although Remington usually is reasonably consistent. I always confirm the twist rates in my barrels. Easy enough to do with a cleaning rod that has a swivel handle and a tight patch. I love Berger 130 Hybrids in my 6.5 MM.

Bob
    I've heard and read 6.5 barrel life some where between 2,000-3000 rounds? If that's ball park, just a tad better than the 220 Swift and 22-250 running them hot but not by much.

Depends what you consider Barrel Life. The 6.5 CM and the 6.5x47 Lapua are not as easy on a barrel as say a 6mmBR Norma, but my experience has been much better than a .220 Swift or a .22-250. For 1,000 yard bench rest, you can probably get over 2,000 rounds out of a 6.5, but more like 1,000 out of the swift and .22-250. 6.5x284 though is another story and probably 900 or less rounds. But for MOA accuracy, many more typically in any of those.

Bob
    Robert Kittine

My thoughts on barrel life; your post disappointing, doubt a 6.5 CM in my future, barrel erosion is what it is, just get there sooner than later on some calibers. Takes the fun out of rifle shooting going from sub-moa to 3" groups ........................

I shot the .204 Ruger for a number of years, .20 -.25 out of a Cooper, never had to worry about burning the throat @ 3800. I noticed the .204 has fallen from grace the last few years, fun on paper & deadly on varmints too.
    Last edited by mayor; 11-19-2020 at 05:49 PM.

Again, this is a relative issue as for some a fall from .2 MOA Groups to .5 is terrible in say your 6PPC, but something that goes from .25 MOA to .75 MOA may be fine for what you are using it for and for some they will not even notice if they can not put trigger control and wind reading together.

If you are shooting high volume, barrel life is certainly a consideration. It is the throat that is normally the issue so many shooters will have a barrel removed, set back and rechambered when they see too much throat wear.

I own my own reamers for my target rifles so it is easy to do that and then when a barrel has really had it, you can turn it into a Fire Forming barrel for those calibers that you may have like the 6mm Dasher and 6PPC so that making new match cases do not cause new barrel wear.

Bob
    Robert Kittine

Quote Originally Posted by mayor View Post
    I'm late to the 6.5 party, what's Remington twist rate, 1-10 or 1-8 and is that standard on all models/barrel types?
    The twist rate for cartridges accepted by SAMMI is included in the specification. As noted, for the 6.5 CM it is 1 in 8. Most commercial rifles will mark the twist on the barrel if it deviates from that. I assume custom barrels are also marked but may not be visible depending on timing when installed.
    "If we open a quarrel between the past and the present we shall find that we have lost the future.”
    Winston Churchill

Custom Barrels typically have the bore and twist on the chambering end of the barrel blank. Once it is cut, threaded and chambered, it is usually lost. Most gunsmiths installing custom barrels though will engrave the barrel with the neck dimension and sometimes the freebore, caliber and twist, but not always.

Bob
    Robert Kittine