My awesome Remington 700/338wm
Join Today

My awesome Remington 700/338wm

In 1994 I purchased a new Remington 700 in 338wm. After benchresting it at 100 yds trying different brands of new ammo I found out my new 700 shoots one ragged hole taking out the x ring. I found this kind of accuracy is with Winchester super x 225 gr psp ammo. To me this is rare to find a 338wm this accurate. My question is I been thinking of installing a double stage trigger. I have a ‘94 Bushnell trophy sportview 6/24 power, 150 yd zero, with out to 500 yds bdc. I only have a 100 yd range. Do you think a dual stage trigger is worth it?

If you’re shooting one ragged hole,I wouldn’t change anything,you can’t do any better than that.

That’s what I was thinking. It does deserve a more expensive scope but for now I’m not touching it. Before hunting since then I shoot one round to check the scopes zero. I stocked up on winchester super x 225 gr psp ammo.

When sighting it in benchrested when she shot the one ragged hole. I loaded four rounds, put four bullseye targets at 100 yds and fired standing up at them as quick as I could run the bolt and pick up the next target in the cross hairs. I was about 1” from center on each target. She’s my blackbear rifle.

4. Remove Advertisements
    700Rifle.com
    Advertisements

What is the rifle to be used for?
    "If we open a quarrel between the past and the present we shall find that we have lost the future.”
    Winston Churchill

And what trigger is currently installed in the rifle?

Bob
    Robert Kittine
    Sag Harbor and Manhattan, New York

It’s my bear hunting rifle. The trigger is orginal. I never touched this rifle except for benchresting it. Trying to figure out what brand of ammo it liked. The Winchester super x 225 gr psp is it’s sweet spot. It didn’t like Remington ammo. I originally purchased this rifle to go on one of those fly in hunts someday.

You rifle probably thinks that using Remington Ammo in a Remington Rifles is Incest!

Bob
    Robert Kittine

My old ‘72 western Auto Revelation 30-06 didn’t like Remington ammo, I had to reload to shoot nickle sized fivevshot groups, my Remington 700/338wm is a one holer with winchester super x 338/225 gr ammo, yet my marlin 444 sporter is accurate using Remington ammo. Funny how some rifles can be more ammo finicky than others. My 30-06 I put 700 rds through it before I dialed it in. I even ran some USGI FMJ surplus ‘06 steel jacket ammo in it figuring the rifling wasn’t right. Finally it like 180 gr Speer bullets behind imr 4350 powder. I don’t shoot it much anymore but it does go hunting.

In my 1907 Swede CG m96 mauser it likes S&B 131 gr sp ammo. 1 1/2” groups at 100yds isn’t too shabby for a 100yo war horse.
    Last edited by 1911 crazy; 01-02-2021 at 02:15 AM.

Usually the first place to start is projectile weight verses twist. The best ammo with the wrong projectile for the given twist, may not work at all.

Bob
    Robert Kittine