interchangeable bolts ?
Join Today

interchangeable bolts ?

i have 2 remington 700s one is a 300 win mag bdl the other is a 7 mm rem mag sps ...my question is this are the bolts interchangeable ?? to my eye they look exactly the same i understand head space and bolt face .but if im only swaping bolts not actions or barrels are they the same and will this work ??? thanks in advance ....im new to the site and this is my first post ...i live in eastern canada ...cheers ...

Welcome to the forum from New York.

The 300 Winchester Magnum has a rim diameter of .532 and can be used in a standard long action rather than a magnum action like the H&H Magnum. The 7mm Rem Mag has the same base dimension so the bolt face will work. The 300 is a longer case. I assume your 300 is not on a magnum action. Does the bolt physically fit?

Bob
    Robert Kittine
    Sag Harbor and Manhattan, New York

yes fits ..safety works cock de cock it seems fine ...bolts seem identical in size

4. Remove Advertisements
    700Rifle.com
    Advertisements

loaded a casing and bolt wont close ...so i guess i have my answer ...

We went through this recently. The magnum action is identical to the LA but the feed rails were different.

https://www.700rifle.com/forum/43-lo...1-300-h-h.html
    "If we open a quarrel between the past and the present we shall find that we have lost the future.”
    Winston Churchill

That is why I mentioned what action it was.
    Robert Kittine
    Sag Harbor and Manhattan, New York

Quote Originally Posted by lazurus View Post
    i have 2 remington 700s one is a 300 win mag bdl the other is a 7 mm rem mag sps ...my question is this are the bolts interchangeable ?? to my eye they look exactly the same i understand head space and bolt face .but if im only swaping bolts not actions or barrels are they the same and will this work ??? thanks in advance ....im new to the site and this is my first post ...i live in eastern canada ...cheers ...
    Yes, they are the same. Even though you mentioned being aware of headspace, if changing bolts headspace MUST be checked and addressed.