Newbie Remington 700 ADL 308
Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Buddy of mine and I decided to get bolt action rifles about two weeks ago so I was a bit intrigued. Having just bought a CZ75B Omega for my CC I decided to get a bolt rifle I could customize. My buddy is going with the Mosin-Nagant in 7.62x54 and plans to model it into a Dragunov clone. So here I am, went in to my local gun shop and found my rifle of choice, a brand new Remington 700 ADL in 308 with a scope package (heh package...). I've browsed the forums a bit the past couple weeks and have decided the first thing ill do is the KRG bolt addon as I could tell that small bolt lever would be a pain. Would like to turn it into a tactical rifle platform (rail systems, pistol grip, extended mag, ect) and a muzzle break.

I will admit I have 0 experience in working on guns but can typically learn quickly.

From a horrible experience.....ditch the scope package and save up for a decent scope. I was a newb to bolt actions and fell for that, thinking i was saving money on a scope. It will only add to a doctor bill.

Quote Originally Posted by jp12
    From a horrible experience.....ditch the scope package and save up for a decent scope. I was a newb to bolt actions and fell for that, thinking i was saving money on a scope. It will only add to a doctor bill.
    Oh ya lol wasn't planning on keeping the same scope on it, especially after toying around with the telescopic ones they had around the store. Not that I'd ever use it but the ability to go from 4x to 20x makes me a bit giddy. Lol

4. Remove Advertisements
    700Rifle.com
    Advertisements

welcome

sounds like you've got a nice gun coming in. my first bolt action that I bought was a remingon 700 .30-06 ADL. you'll definitely be able to out shoot your buddies mosin. only thing that will throw you off is the sporter barrel. they heat up within 3-4 shots and accuracy will go bye-bye.

def get a new scope, but just remember that magnification isnt everything. you want something with good glass first and foremost. i can pick out bullet holes at 250 yards with my 10x rifle scope that i cant see with my spotting scope on 36x. better glass will transmit light better, which will let you see more.
    700P | .308 | 20 MOA Nightforce Base | TPS Rings | 10x42 Super Sniper | BO Bolt Knob & Recoil lug | Harris Bipod | Timney 510 | Suppressed!
    Check it out here

Are there any specifications for scopes to look for when purchasing? Or do you base it on the tint of the glass itself?

depends on what you wanna do with it, your budget and your preferences. hunting only, i'd go with a $100-$300 3-9x or 4-12x. target shooting, probably the same. long range target shooting, i like a fixed 10x myself. some people like high magnification scopes though, just depends.
    700P | .308 | 20 MOA Nightforce Base | TPS Rings | 10x42 Super Sniper | BO Bolt Knob & Recoil lug | Harris Bipod | Timney 510 | Suppressed!
    Check it out here

I'd like a good mix of both target and game. Don't really have a budget.

check out SWFA, they have pretty good prices and they carry all sorts of brands.
    Check it out here

Think I might go with the "Leatherwood 6-24x50 Camputer ART M-1200 Rifle Scope". I read good things!

PS: Leatherwood = Made In Korea.
    Buy Any One of the Following 1st: Redfield, Burris or Leupold (All Made In USA)
    These are Listed by Price Low to High & Range in Price from Under $200 to Over $500.
    Also Consider the Excellent ( Limited to Unlimited LIFETIME ! ) Warranties that All 3 Carry.
    If I am Not Mistaken, Back in the 70's Leatherwood's were Also Made Here in The U.S.
    Presently, They are Made In Korea which is Only 2nd to Japan. (Which is pretty Darn Good)
    762 Is Absolutely Correct About "Good Glass".
    (Best Glass? ........ Leupold MK4, U.S. Optics, Schmidt & Bender = $1000's +)
    Scope Clarity & Brightness Are The Major Factors.
    When Considering a Scope there are 2 Very Important things to Check.
    Look at the % of Light Transmission (Higher = Better / Above 80% ) & Exit Pupil Diameter (Larger Is Better / Especially @ Higher Magnification ) These 2 things Will Tell you How much Light Is Absorbed / Blocked or Enhanced by the Lenses & How Wide the Image Will be Transmitted to your Eye. ALWAYS Opt for a Scope w/ FULLY Coated Lenses as this Will Enhance & Improve Both Considerably. Other than that Just look for the Best "Edge to Edge Clarity" & Ability to Focus to Your Eyes.
    UncleSarge58
    78 REM 700BDL: .308WIN w/ 22in. 1-10 Bbl / Redfield 3-9X50 AR

Shoot Far, Shoot Straight. Be Not Seen, Be Silent.
    Be as the Hand of Death. Shoot First.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast