700 ADL swap to SPS Tactical
Join Today

I currently have an ADL in 308 that I'd like to change stocks and swap to a bull barrel. I basically want to turn it into something close to the SPS Tactical 308. How big of a deal is it to change barrels and how much does it typically cost? If its too much pricewise I'm probably better off just selling my ADL and picking up a SPS Tactical NIB, agree?

Quote Originally Posted by akulfan47
    I currently have an ADL in 308 that I'd like to change stocks and swap to a bull barrel. I basically want to turn it into something close to the SPS Tactical 308. How big of a deal is it to change barrels and how much does it typically cost? If its too much pricewise I'm probably better off just selling my ADL and picking up a SPS Tactical NIB, agree?
    it depends on what stock and barrel your gonna want but in general a bell and carlson stock ~ $250. barrel ~$200-300 and ADL to BDL kit ~$160 my friend was selling a fluted .308 xcr barrel i think for 200 bucks not sure if he still has it but i can check if your interested

i used to have a .30-06 ADL that I changed over to a .308. did it for about $350 i think. I found 700P take off barrels from a place called Iron Brigade Armory here in NC for $150. (they dont sell them anymore btw) then i bought one of those ultimate sniper stocks for less than $200. i got one for an ADL so i didnt have to spend the extra $125 to buy the bottom metal for a BDL stock

i didnt care about the old .30-06 barrel, so i cut it off with my angle grinder and put a recoil lug from a 700P on it (recoil lug was $6 at the same store above) then installed the new barrel and put on the stock. wrapped the action in carboard and duct tape and put the barrel in the vice, used some massive pliers i borrowed from a construction buddy and bam, a long action .308. it actually shot really well too.

it's not a bad swap, but i think you'd be better off selling the ADL and buying an SPS.
    700P | .308 | 20 MOA Nightforce Base | TPS Rings | 10x42 Super Sniper | BO Bolt Knob & Recoil lug | Harris Bipod | Timney 510 | Suppressed!
    Check it out here

4. Remove Advertisements
    700Rifle.com
    Advertisements

I got after market barrels on several rifles, and they are definitely better. Not to nock Remington's barrels but if you are going to spend some money spend a few bucks more and get the better barrel. They clean up better, shoot better from the get go, you can have the throat cut shorter so you can actually get the bullet to touch the riffling. Just my 2 cents.
    Dear Revenue Canada: I would like to cancel my subscription, so please remove my name from your mailing list.