Lopoking for 700 Long Range 30-06 84166
Join Today
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Lopoking for 700 Long Range 30-06 84166

Lopoking for 700 Long Range 30-06 84166

Looking for that rifle. None of my gun shops or places on the web that I can see have any in stock. Where they all sold or sent back to Remington. If you know of one at your local Gun shop or a distributor, please let me know by pm

I know what you mean. Its like chasing a rainbow. The ONLY one I've seen for sale was chambered in 25-06 on a local gun classifieds site. Should have snagged that sucker.....

I've been through this twice before with Remington. The 700 Classic in 35 Whelan and the CDL Limited in 260. They put it the catalogue, put a few out to gauge interest and if there is they'll put out another production run. a shooting season could be over before you get a rifle. I'm specifically looking for 30-06 only because I'm already loading for a Garand and don't need another caliber to stock components for.

4. Remove Advertisements
    700Rifle.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by rich56 View Post
    I've been through this twice before with Remington. The 700 Classic in 35 Whelan and the CDL Limited in 260. They put it the catalogue, put a few out to gauge interest and if there is they'll put out another production run. a shooting season could be over before you get a rifle. I'm specifically looking for 30-06 only because I'm already loading for a Garand and don't need another caliber to stock components for.
    Rich,

I'm pretty new here, and just getting a 700 together, but I shoot an M1 with a friend. The 30-06 is a great round, and there's a lot of available ammo, so I think it makes a lot of sense to get the same shell that you're already loading for. The only negative for the 30-06 it that it has a substantial amount of recoil, and that is certainly true for the M1. The whole clip/thumb experience is an education in itself...lol Nice that it's semi-auto though. And in that sense it would make sense to have a bolt action of the same caliber. Ammo is about $1/each in my area for small boxes, but almost always available. We can get .223 for about half that in bulk.

Out of curiousity, how much does it cost to reload ?

I don't have that sitation so am going .308 Winchester, unless of course I change my mind. I'm always willing to hear a convincing story for another caliber. Distance would be something, but still, .308 is pretty good for up to 600 yards. I'll be shooting 200 yards most of the time.

30-06 is viewed more and more as irrelevant now for some reason. A .308 does almost as well for most needs and for longer ranges calibers like 300 Win Mag do far better.

I just happen to be a 30-06 lover and am now trying to figure out how to tell my wife I'm about to buy a new '06 on a chassis system, kreiger barrel, and all the other bling.

jukyu-juichi----

Reloading 30-06 is pretty simple and relatively inexpensive. The brass is easy to work with. Just think of it as a longer .308. Powder is increased about 25% on average so if you can load a .308 round for $0.50 (as I do) then an '06 round will average around $0.63. Bullets are the same for either caliber only the '06 does a better job when bullet weight passes 175-180 grains.
    DRAGON64 likes this.

You guys see why 30-06. I've had 4 308s so I'm well acquainted with the round. 30-06 is basically 5% more powerful with 175s (no big deal until farther than 600yd, not my business) kicks 5% more (no big deal in a 10lb rifle), and theoretically slightly less accurate than 308 but that would depend more on the individual rifle. With handloads right behind the 300WM with less powder blast and kick. I'll shoot this 30-06 with mild handloads that will be good to 300yds. My National Match Garand has done MOA with these loads. Colonel Townsend Whelen is quoted saying "You're never wrong with a 30-06" PS Was our military's sniper round until the M21 rifle during Vietnam.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadshot2 View Post
    30-06 is viewed more and more as irrelevant now for some reason. A .308 does almost as well for most needs and for longer ranges calibers like 300 Win Mag do far better.

I just happen to be a 30-06 lover
    Reloading 30-06 is pretty simple and relatively inexpensive.
    I agree, and I like the 30-06 also, it's a good bang for the buck. I wonder if it's not an opportunity to get another round, but I can see sticking to the same round for overall cost and convenience. And the 30-06 is long action, so most all the cooler rounds are for long, IMO>

I've been going through some of this thought you mention, and it seems the 300 win mag has some advantages. One thing that has me question it is the low life of barrels, and it makes me wonder if it is just too much powder in such a small cartridge. OTOH, I'm going for a beefy setup and it make make sense to go 300 Win Mag. If it wasn't for the cost of the shells it seems that .338 Lapua would be a nice bang...

If one was planning to reload would it make the .338 a lot more affordable ?

My dilemma is that is if I build a .308, my receiver will be short action, therefore leaving less options of changing it later. I do plan to reload, but do not do that yet...

Quote Originally Posted by rich56 View Post
    You guys see why 30-06.
    I do, most certainly...there are some huge advantages with the 30-06. Since you reload already maybe it's a good opportunity to get something with more bang. For cost and convenience, having the same round is golden. So, I kinda see both sides.
    DRAGON64 likes this.
    jj

Oh, the old, boring '06. There is a reason that so many makes and models of rifles are still, and will always be, available in this chambering. It just plain works..... Period.
    Last edited by RBoomK; 06-25-2014 at 11:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RBoomK View Post
    Oh, the old, boring '06. There is a reason that so many makes and models of rifles are still, and will always be, available in this chambering. It just plain works..... Period.
    Not to mention the range of bullets it shoots, from 110 gr to 220 gr (and sometimes heavier), and does a good job with them.

It's a caliber that's extremely versatile and will bring down anything that walks the North American continent. Put one together with a 26, 28, or 30" barrel and it will more than hold it's own at long range.

It just lost popularity when people started carrying .243's and .270's for their deer hunts. Too "wussy" to carry a "Man's Gun"

Quote Originally Posted by jukyu-juichi View Post
    If one was planning to reload would it make the .338 a lot more affordable ?
    I know, not good protocol to answer your own questions, but the cost of 30-06 is about the same as .308. But even the cost of .300 win mag in this slide are 2x the cost of .308. In looking at the cost of reloading .338 I found out that the bullets themselves are about $1/each (3x of .308, and .300 WM is close to that). Buying ammo is about $5-$6/each.

For me I'm not sure what it means, I still need to decide if I want to stick with .308 or go with something like .300 WM. Overall cost and availability of parts have me continuing to look at .308 still. Of course barrel life is a factor, but one thing worth mentioning for the OP would be the approval of a 220grain bullet for the .300 WM by the military, that seems it might bring the cost of ammo/reloading down for .300 WM in the long run.

(these are chassis style sniper rifles, as this comes from the sniper page on wikipedia, just that the cost of the ammo is useful)

jj

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast