I bought a Remington 700 Long Range in 30-06 SPRG with 26" barrel - Page 2
Join Today
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: I bought a Remington 700 Long Range in 30-06 SPRG with 26" barrel

Most ranges are very concerned about being shut down and having an accident is one of the ways to have negative exposure. My home range is private and each year the insurance company requires something new to be done in order to continue to provide coverage. Doubt that it will get anything but worse. I started shooting about 60 years ago so I saw what was the Good Old Days for those of us that liked guns. Those days are gone for ever as is so many other things.

I am not sure who it was I talked to, but was told as a member of the PA 1,000 club, if I came to a match, they were open to other shooters and I could shoot the match. Is there a Non-Resident membership available?

Bob
    Robert Kittine
    Sag Harbor and Manhattan, New York

Today while I was at the range, I talked with the Range Officer who assured me after showing him a copy of your communication with our range that you would be welcome to shoot the 1000 yard range. I found his assurance reassuring. He suggested we, you keep a copy of thread where you confirm shooting on your range at 1000 yards.

One thing I do know is the Range 12 shooters get there early and begin as soon as 8 am, the range open commence firing time arrives. I don't know but it may be they get there early enough to go to the pits and setup way before 8 am. I suspect you know the drill better than I do. I'll snoop that out.

When do you plan to arrive? I ask because I have a business appointment all day April 24th.

Today I shot my Rem 783 on the 50 yard line. I felt I need to zero because on last use I dropped the gun on cement. I managed to shoot 7 rounds when suddenly I couldn't load and lock a round. A peak inside the trigger guard and I notice the square piece of metal that is pushed to free up the bolt for removal was not in place--it was about 1/4 inch recessed from its proper location. I'll tinker with that tonight.

Correction.

First the Rem 783 as modified by me does not have a bolt release in the trigger guard housing. It is on the left side top near the bolt.

Second, the reason the bolt would not go into battery was a round not compatible with 30-06SPRNG. That round was head stamped RG 50 7. The base is a MM or so wider in diameter than the 30-06 base. And there is no extractor groove. It does have a cap.

Third, the following rounds in the mag have a head stamp of FNM 70-25. This cartridge is way shorter than the 30-06SPRNG. I don't think I will try to use these.

I'm not sure how these got into my ammo cache, but the moral here is watch your ammo carefully.

So the Rem 783 likes the 30-06SPNG just fine. The rifle is not in need of a gunsmith.

4. Remove Advertisements
    700Rifle.com
    Advertisements

I also carry my membership cards for the two 1,000 yard ranges that I currently am a member at and shoot at. Williamsport for sure is well know among the 1,000 yard Bench Rest shooters.

Are you a member at www.AccurateShooter.com? That is where there is a lot of Long Range 600/800 and 1,000 yard Bench Rest guys, though there are some on Benchrest Central ? Absolute Source for Accuracy Components and Information but that is more for the short range bench rest guys. 100/200 and 300 yards.

I shoot short range at my home club, Maidstone Gun Club as well as Brookhaven and Cherry Ridge and carry a card for them.

Bob
    Robert Kittine

OP, I had shot with the NCPPRC club a few times, both practice and matches. Last time I was there was 2017, exactly the day before the Santa Rosa fires (I live in Santa Rosa, a 2-hr drive one way). They practice every first Saturday of the month. Match follows on Sunday. Here is their forum if you wanted to dive in: NorCal Practical Precision Rifle Club Forum ? Login. Here is their web site: https://ncpprc.com/

It is a very friendly crowd. That's where I learned to shoot beyond 300 yards. I missed going there.

They are mainly a precision rifle club, but any gun to get you started with is okay. I have the same Rem 700 LR 30-06 and that is what I used. Your scope will also play an important role to getting it done.
    DRAGON64 likes this.

Williamsport is also a friendly range, but you have to come in person and show proficiency is rifle shooting and produce a rifle that the club deems appropriate for shooting 1,000 yards, prior to you being able to join. Those that shoot 1,000 yard bench rest will attest to the difficulty of the terrain at the Williamsport club. From bench to targets, there are a number of rises and dips, including a road that runs across the range, but at a level that you can not see a car no less hit one. Wind flags TYPICALLY are running a 180 degree different angles as you look down at them from the bench to the target frames. It is now a club where you can bring your hunting rifle to site in for the season and with the exception of a 600 yard target area infrequently used, an 800 yard target area also infrequently used and a 200 yard target area only used for Rim Fire Bench Rest, the one separate 100 yard range with too shooting positions is only used for quick testing. Williamsport rules are also a little different and 10 shot groups are required rather than 5 shot groups at other IBR 1000 yard events. That is why the world record of 2.81 inches stands since that is for 10 shots, while 2" groups have been recorded for 5 shot strings.

Bob
    Robert Kittine

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12