I bought a Remington 700 Long Range in 30-06 SPRG with 26" barrel
Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: I bought a Remington 700 Long Range in 30-06 SPRG with 26" barrel

I bought a Remington 700 Long Range in 30-06 SPRG with 26" barrel

I bought a Remington 700 Long Range in 30-06 SPRG with 26" barrel.
    I'm wondering what "Long Range" means or could mean in original condition or modified.
    I shoot at the Sacramento Valley Shooting Center east of Sacramento.
    I haven't been to the range with this new rifle. Unfired.
    I have two ATN scopes. Bipod
    Wondering what good range ammo to buy.
    I have a 10 round detachable magazine kit.
    I have a good photography tripod and would like to mount rifle on but am mystified by the necessary hardware needed from gun stock to tripod.
    Well goodness, all the beginner questions with a new rifle.

Phil

Hi Phil and welcome to the site. Congratulations on your new rifle. Are you going to hunt with the rifle or target shoot?

For some Long Range means 200 to 500 yards as compared to the 100 Yard Hunting Rifle. Your 26' Barrel with a large case round, will allow more powder to be burned before the projectile leaves the muzzle.

Long range for me is 600 / 800 and 1,000 yards, which would be for F-Class, Palma and Long Range Bench Rest.

There are suppliers of Match Grade Ammo out there. Check Lapua and AtlantaArms to see what you can get. They are pricey.

To really get the most out of your rifle, you need to reload. Other than that, you need to try different ammos and see which your rifle likes the most. An ammo that is great in one rifle may not be so good in another. Differences in Barrel Harmonics, Rifling Cuts etc.

The Remington 700 is one of the better Out of The Box bolt action rifles and most will get 1 MOA (approximately 1" at 100 yard) groups when you fine the right ammo or reload it.

Custom rifles in more precise calibers / cartridges can get single hole groups at 100 yards, 6PPC etc. Or 3" groups at 1,000 Yards, 6.5x47L, .338 Lapua. 30mmWSM etc.

What twist rate is in your rifle? That is the first place to start with regard to ammo. Slow Twists usually are best with lighter bullets where heavy high BC projectiles need a fast twist to stabilize. My short range Bench rest rifles have barrels with twist from about 1:13 to 1:14 while my Long Range rifles have twists of 1:8 or 1:7.5

If you really want to ring everything out of your rifle, with the action as it is (not trued) and the factory barrel, I would suggest the following upgrades in the order listed:

First, Replace the Trigger. Minimum Timney, next up is a Timney CE (Calvon Elite) than a Jewel and last a Big-N-Andy . All depends on your budget.

Second, Bed the action and free float the barrel.

After that I would do a lot of shooting and ammo testing or reload testing.

For most the next step would be a better than factory stock and if your want to go all out a truing of the action and competition grade barrel. If you do all of that though, a custom build from the start would be the more practical way to go, but I highly recommend the first two steps above.

You can find Stand Up rifles holders (some based on photo tripods) at places like MidwayUSA.com You will not get the best accuracy shooting that way. A bench with a good rest or a bipod prone or on a bench will do better.

Hope some of this helps. Let us know where you are, what kind of shooting you do and what kind you will be doing with this rifle.

Best, Bob
    Last edited by rkittine; 02-24-2019 at 06:17 AM.
    DRAGON64 likes this.
    Robert Kittine
    Sag Harbor and Manhattan, New York

Thank you Robert for a rich description of suggestions for my use. This is more than I expect and I am grateful.

4. Remove Advertisements
    700Rifle.com
    Advertisements

Bob,

I'm new to shooting on rifle ranges. I've shot a lot with 9mm and .30 Carbine carbines at 100 yards.

Now my plan is to shoot at progressively longer distances with a goal of spending a lot of time between 300 to 500 shooting steel. I suspect I will learn a lot about your pointers above.

Hopefully the political powers here in California will let me seek my goal.

We will have to get together when I visit Sacramento in the near future.

Bob
    Robert Kittine

Yes, I'll look forward to it.

Phil

Phil,

Have you shoot at the Sacramento Range that has the 1,000 yard competition? I think it is called something other than Sacramento with regard to the location, but I want to shoot there.

Bob
    Robert Kittine

No, I've not shot on the 1000 yard range.

I'm new to long range shooting. I have two rifles, a Remington 783 and a Remington 700 Long Range.

The range required me to show a tight shot pattern at 100 yards to get permission to shoot on the longer ranges with my rifle. I'm still putting my rifle configuration together and plan to shoot progressively at longer ranges. I am now permitted to shoot on the steel target range 100 to 500 yards and the 100-200 and 300 yard ranges but haven't done so. Paint me green.

https://www.sacvalley.org/range/

I'm not sure what the rules are for out of town non members shooting on other than the short public ranges. I'll check it out and let you know.

Thanks - I have talked to them and as a Member of the PA1000 Yard Bench Rest club, I can get on.

Bob
    Robert Kittine

What a relief to hear you have confirmed that you can shoot the 1000 yard range. I'm curious, who on staff here did you talk with?

I was worried that the changes around here would get in your way. e.g. The range can no longer sell ammo. Two of the hardest working staff were fired. Annually we signed a Release of Liability form. Now we have to sign one each time we shoot.

Wonder what is next.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast