New Member from Texas
Join Today

New Member from Texas

Hello all,
    I just picked up the 3rd 700 Ive owned in my life, its a long action chambered in .300 Ultra Mag. The guy I bought it from had some work done to it, it has a Brux heavy barrel and some trigger work (about 2 - 2.5lbs), all sitting in a McMillan A5 stock. I have an Athlon Cronus scope on it right now, and will probably take it to zero it this weekend. The thing is heavy, about 16.5lbs, so hopefully that tames some of the recoil. I do not plan on competing with it, and don't know much about weight limits in competitions anyway - I am just interested in seeing how far I can shoot accurately. Any advice or tips are always welcome!

Howdy Jason and welcome to the Forum. Where in Texas are you?

What class do you want to compete in? If you are talking Long Range Bench Rest, 600, 800 or 1,000 yards, you are allowed 17 pounds for the weight of the rifle with all its bits and pieces in place, scope etc., but unloaded.

Bob
    Robert Kittine
    Sag Harbor and Manhattan, New York

Im up in the DFW area. I hadn't really thought about competing, but might if it looks like it would be fun to do. I still have a lot of work to do getting used to the gun, finding out what ammo works best in it - learning about long distance shooting, etc.

4. Remove Advertisements
    700Rifle.com
    Advertisements

Shooting long doesn’t come to you overnight,takes lots of practice.
    Your gonna be Weather expert,believe me a lot of things got to come together to go long
    Good luck to you have fun.

Put reloading on your list if you intend to shoot 1,000 yards or even 500 or more.

Bob
    Robert Kittine
    Sag Harbor and Manhattan, New York

Good to see a fresh face and not a bot! HAHA! Welcome Jason!

Oh and them Althon Scopes looks like a good product!!! If anyone else is interested in a group by I have a connection to get their top of the lines Althon Cronus BTR that is about $1750-1800 for $1250!

If I get 3-4 guys that are interested to try some I might start a thread about it. They are made in Japan so basically a Bushnell Tac scope with ED glass hard to beat at the group price I can get them at.
    Last edited by Winxp_Man; 08-31-2019 at 07:15 PM.
    shoot to kill not wound !

Firearm Pimp

Hi from MD. I own a 700 223 Police that I paid a pro to lap and install a Weaver T36. It is one of 3 rifles I use for competition. All three have competition triggers. The other 2 are Kimber 82G's and they regularly beat Anschutz owners. You may find competition fun and like another member said it takes a lot of practice to develop repeatable positions, judge the wind, figure out what ammo to use (with 22LR try Fiocchi 320SM), etc. I suggest you try competitions at 50 and 100 yards to develop your skills. From there try 200 meters. I'm never shot beyond this distance but can shoot 1/3" groups using relatively inexpensive factory ammo (FIOCCHI EXTREMA 223 55 GR. V MAX 223HVC 50 RND/BOX) at 100 yards from the 700P. It's sub-par among my competitiors so I ordered Black Hills which is reputed to be among the best factory loads. I'll try it in the competition starting after this one completes (no need to waste good stuff since I'm too far behind in CF). With the 22LR I shoot groups in the 0.1X to 0.2X range and to give you an idea of what the other reviewers mentioned about your skills taking time to develop these were 0.5X and higher about 10 years ago, 0.3X-0.4X about 5 years ago, 0.2X-0.3X about 3 years ago and since are all in the 0.1X-0.2X range regardless of wind conditions. Reading the wind is difficult and there are some books out there that are quite good (if interested let me know and I'll check the titles) the oldest going back to the early 1900s. Good luck, have fun, and be safe.
    Last edited by TTLongRifle; 09-04-2019 at 07:03 AM.