Rechambering a 30-06
Join Today

Rechambering a 30-06

I have been told it is possible to rechamber a 30-06 to a 6.5 CM. I have a Remington 700 30-06 and would like to do this if possible? Anyone heard of or had any experience with such a project?

Thank you!

You can chamber with a new barrel to any cartridge that has a .473 base. .308/.25-06,.270 etc. The Creedmore has that base size so the bolt and extractor will work. Since it is a short case, you might have some feeding issues as the .30-06 is a long case. As a single shot there won't be any issues.

Bob
    Last edited by rkittine; 11-20-2019 at 08:37 AM.
    Robert Kittine
    Sag Harbor and Manhattan, New York

You absolutely can rebarrel your 700 to a Creedmoor or any 1 of a vast array of calibers that have a standard bolt face or.473. The long action you have would make a great 6.5x284 or a 280AI. I turned a 783 in 243 in to a very accurate Creedmoor but I have a lathe and was able to do the headspacing and chambering myself. You’ll have to have a gunsmith to do it or you could go the Remage route and install and headspace the barrel yourself. It uses a nut on the barrel like a Savage. I’ve never removed a barrel from a 700 but I hear they can be stubborn. Your long action will absolutely work for a Creedmoor. Probably better than a short action 700 as they tend to be on the short side. Good luck.

4. Remove Advertisements
    700Rifle.com
    Advertisements

REAL SIMPLE, change the barrel is the only way it can be done, it is impossible to CHAMBER 30 cal to a 6.5 , it's smaller, you don't want to shoot a bullet that is .264 down a hole that is .308

Quote Originally Posted by Jus308RH View Post
    I have been told it is possible to rechamber a 30-06 to a 6.5 CM. I have a Remington 700 30-06 and would like to do this if possible? Anyone heard of or had any experience with such a project?

Thank you!
    Re-barrel to 6.5 yes, rechamber to 6.5 CM no..

geo

Re-Barreling a long action with a short action cartridge will result in an inordinate amount of unnecessary cartridge travel. There is an approximate 1/2” of extra action length that translates into unnecessary bolt travel. If doing this do it in a cartridge like the 6.5x284 throat the barrel long to properly seat long bullets and you’ll have a long range bomber. Or go 280 AI and never look back