Hello from The Show Me State! - Page 2
Join Today
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Hello from The Show Me State!

I had a flight in a T-37 once, in 1985. I live and grew up in the St. Louis area so F-4's flew overhead a lot along with F-15's and F-18's. Love that classic J-79 howl of the Phantom. It fits in with the name. The 131st TFW of the MOANG flew a progression of F-4 models for years after they traded in their F-100's. They traded the F-4's for F-15's then about a decade or so ago they lost the fighters. Now they support the B-2's based at Whiteman AFB in western Missouri. They used to fly every Wednesday and they'd go over my high school on downwind as they did their overhead break in the Phantoms. Nice that you got to fly a couple of my favorites. Thank you for your service to our country!

Start talking aviation and I get easily distracted. Obviously I'm an aviation nerd. Thank you for the info on ammo to start with. Unfortunately, I don't get to a range very often so it will be a while. If I ever buy some acreage I'll have more fun. Funds are tight with all that's going on right now so mine won't be anything fancy at all. It will mostly stay stock for now but will probably evolve some, albeit it very slowly.

Have fun and throw as many rounds down range, when and where you can. The T-37 is a real dog. At least there was a trust increase on the Attack Model. The T-38 though was a fun trainer.

I am fortunate to still be instructing and having others pay me to fly.

Bob
    482WhiskeyDelta likes this.
    Robert Kittine
    Sag Harbor and Manhattan, New York

Being locked down I watched an old movie called “The Starfighter” last weekend. Obviously the star was the F-104. It was amazing the amount of low level ground attack range footage they showed for a plane never intended as a ground attack aircraft.
    "If we open a quarrel between the past and the present we shall find that we have lost the future.”
    Winston Churchill

4. Remove Advertisements
    700Rifle.com
    Advertisements

Having a Weapons Officer on the Phatom did not lend itself to ground support either.
    Robert Kittine

Hard to believe that this is 52 years ago - Type Rating Check Ride Day - When Early Lear's were the first Jet under $1,000,000.00.

LR TYPE RATING CHECK RIDE DAY 1968.jpg
    Robert Kittine

Quote Originally Posted by rkittine View Post
    Having a Weapons Officer on the Phatom did not lend itself to ground support either.
    Not having the right weapons was kind of a drawback too. But at least ordinance capacity wasn’t an issue. I never knew that the Mustang was used in Vietnam. By the way, thanks for your service.
    "If we open a quarrel between the past and the present we shall find that we have lost the future.”
    Winston Churchill

Initially the Phantom had machine guns in the wings, Just not efficient or effective when flying so fast on the deck. I think Cavalier only built 6 of the "H" models and one was a two place (no rear fuel tank) for transition training. My IP was a P-40 Pilot from WWII, who also flew the "D" Model.

Bob
    Robert Kittine

Hello! Welcome to the forum!

Hi 482WhiskeyDelta,

A warm welcome to the 700 Rifle forum.

Visit often.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12