Hello from The Show Me State!
Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Hello from The Show Me State!

Hello from The Show Me State!

Hi everybody!

Iím a middle aged boomer who just bought a Remington 700 SPS in .308 as a go to general purpose rifle. I hope to learn some basics from the group as Iím a bit new to this. Iím not personally a hunter, at least not yet. Not quite a novice shooter (I have a few military rifles and some handguns) but I donít get to the range much to improve that. Iím looking forward to seeing how others have equipped their basic rifles. Having just purchased mine I have no scope yet. I do have some ideas about how Iíd like to configure it but Iíll hold off on those for now. It wonít be anything exotic. I canít afford such things! I just donít want everybody to think Iím too weird just yet!

Just want to learn for a bit. Iím on forums for other firearms and I really enjoy seeing how innovative others are and just following the threads about what they came up with. The Remington 700 is so well established I should have plenty of options for mine. This will be fun!

Thanks for having me in the group!

Welcome to the forum, you’ll have lots of good options.
    482WhiskeyDelta likes this.

From a fellow Boomer, Welcome to the forum! I started out with an SPS in 308, great shooting rifle. I am now slowly building up a SPS 6.5 Creedmoor barreled action. Looking forward to seeing pics of your rifle.

4. Remove Advertisements
    700Rifle.com
    Advertisements

Welcome from New York. So what is a middle aged Boomer? I am a Baby Boomer, born in 1948. Can I say at 71 I am "Middle Aged", I don't think so with the mileage I have on this old body.

I see you are a student Pilot, I am a retired Part 121 Driver, a former F-4 driver and current flight instructor her in New York.

The .308 is a really great cartridge. It can be extremely accurate in the hands of the right shooter and with the right ammo and rifle, out well past 1,000 yards. There are loads of factory offerings for ammo choice (just make sure you know the twist of the barrel and buy ammo accordingly) and it is easy to tune when reloading.

Bob
    Last edited by rkittine; 04-24-2020 at 01:13 PM.
    Robert Kittine
    Sag Harbor and Manhattan, New York

Quote Originally Posted by rkittine View Post
    Welcome from New York. So what is a middle aged Boomer? I am a Baby Boomer, born in 1948. Can I say at 71 I am "Middle Aged", I don't think so with the mileage I have on this old body.

I see your a student Pilot, I am a retired Part 121 Drive, a former F-4 driver and current flight instructor her in New York.

The .308 is a really great cartridge. It can be extremely accurate in the hands of the right shooter and with the right ammo and rifle, out well past 1,000 yards. There are loads of factory offerings for ammo choice (just make sure you know the twist of the barrel and buy ammo accordingly) and it is easy to tune when reloading.

Bob
    I think they dogged boomers off at 1964 or something like that. I was surprised when I heard that not too long ago. I'm three years behind you. Didn't know you flew the F-4. Great plane.
    "If we open a quarrel between the past and the present we shall find that we have lost the future.Ē
    Winston Churchill

Yes, I think if I was 16 years younger that I would consider myself more Middle Age. I was also lucky enough to volunteer and be selected to fly remanufactured P-51 H Models that Cavalier built for close ground support. Much more Hands On flying that the Phantom and no weapons officer that you feel obligated to chat with.

Bob
    482WhiskeyDelta and Freefloat like this.
    Robert Kittine

Wow! A P-51 and Phantom pilot! I’m in awe already! H model Mustang too. Only one of those left flying. I was born in 1964 so I just made the cut for Boomer status. My rifle is a new SPS with threaded 20” barrel. It’s not the heavy barrel tactical version. I’ll look forward to getting advice on barrel break-in and ammo to use. Once I get going on it I’ll figure out how to post pictures. It likely won’t be anything exotic, though.

Thanks for the warm welcome!

So can I assume that your screen name is in regard to N482WD ?

Cavalier retrofitted "D" mode Mustangs as "H" models to use in Nam for close ground support when they realized that flying on the deck at 700 MPH in a jet with .50 cal. machine guns didn't make a lot of sense.

I am not a big fan of "Barrel Break-In Procedures" On any barrel, new or used, I wet the bore, shoot one fouling shot and start shooting. I do clean after every relay or every shooting session and I tried to not get the barrel too hot, but when you are shooting bench rest, sometimes you throw projectiles down range quickly in order to have the same wind conditions.

With regards to ammo, the first thing you need to know is what twist you have and if possible what your chamber dimensions are, but with a factory barrel, you will most likely have a pretty open chamber that conforms to SAMMI specs. Custom barrels get chambered specifically for projectiles to be used as well as what brass.

Do you reload? If not, consider doing it, not to save money as much as to really being able to wring out the accuracy of your set up.

One thing for sure, most every serious shooter of a Remington 700 does is change out the Remington Trigger to something at least like a Timney 510 ir not a Timney Calvin Elite, for something more exotic if your use is for serious target shooting.

I only use .308 Palma Brass in my .308s, but unless you buy International Palma Match Ammo, you need to hand load that.

You will have some great times with your new rifle.

Bob
    Robert Kittine

Thanks for the info. I'm not a re-loader yet. Maybe some day. My screen name is a hoped for N number if I build a plane. I'm from a family of experimental builders. Working on an RV-6A with one of my brothers and a couple other guys. I have a dream of building an RV-8 some day and have the number reserved. Did any of the Cavalier Mustangs see service in Southeast Asia?

The barrel twist is 1 in 10" I believe. Funds will be tight due in large part to the above mentioned aviation activities so probably minimal modifications to the rifle at least for the near future. Gotta let the bank account recover a bit, haha.

With a 1:10 twist barrel, 185 Grainers are probably the best starting point. Could go a little lighter or a little heavier. I shoot mainly 168s out of my 1:12 twist barrel.

Yes, the whole object of the "H" program was to replace jets that flew too fast to be effective for close ground support, with something fitted with 6 .50 caliber machine guns and could fly well on the deck. Even though I had graduated high enough in my class to pick the F-4, I was also qualified in the A-37, a real dog, but about the only jet that made sense to fly on the deck, so I was on the "volunteer" list for the 51. Got to ferry one almost around the world.

Bob
    Last edited by rkittine; 04-26-2020 at 08:14 AM.
    Robert Kittine

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast